BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

Damn it, why head to head with MU, its suicide!! Spain was one of the few places where SR did great (12 million I think) so why screw that up? The same thing is going to happen with Russia.

The two films aren't particularly competitive with one another. If you open during the summer you can expect to have another big film opening next to you. It's not like MU and DM2 opening against one another.

The two films aren't particularly competitive with one another. If you open during the summer you can expect to have another big film opening next to you. It's not like MU and DM2 opening against one another.

Both films aim to attract families and kids you know. Plus superman is coming out on the 14th in the states I really can't understand why it couldn't open in europe at the same time.

For those of you who are in the know in Spain, how much do you think MOS can make?

Both films aim to attract families and kids you know. Plus superman is coming out on the 14th in the states I really can't understand why it couldn't open in europe at the same time.

For those of you who are in the know in Spain, how much do you think MOS can make?

IMHO, It should make similar numbers to both SR and IM3, 10-12 million.

And just to point that Superman (78) is still the biggest SH movie ever here (adjusted), with 5.267 million admissions, barely over than first Spider-man (5.249 million).

Both films aim to attract families and kids you know. Plus superman is coming out on the 14th in the states I really can't understand why it couldn't open in europe at the same time.For those of you who are in the know in Spain, how much do you think MOS can make?

Obviously there is some overlap, but you can't expect an open market during the summer. It's still much better than opening against another superhero film.

IMHO, It should make similar numbers to both SR and IM3, 10-12 million.

And just to point that Superman (78) is still the biggest SH movie ever here (adjusted), with 5.267 million admissions, barely over than first Spider-man (5.249 million).

You know I noticed that superman is quite big in Spain, it was one of SR's biggest markets (12 million). i think 12 million would be awesome and I certainly wouldn't think it would top SR's take considering the the financial state that the country is in right now.

You know I noticed that superman is quite big in Spain, it was one of SR's biggest markets (12 million). i think 12 million would be awesome and I certainly wouldn't think it would top SR's take considering the the financial state that the country is in right now.

Indeed. In fact, in spite of the quality, the sequels sold many tickets too:

Superman 78: 5,267,500

Superman II: 2,968,195

Superman III: 2,359,333

Superman IV: 1,233,223

Superman Returns: 1,816,024

As reference, Superman Returns sold nearly the same number of admissions than TDK (100k less), the same than TDKR, and 400k higher than Batman Begins.

With this I what to remark that when the economical situation was good (in 2005 and 2006), Superman's reboot was bigger than Batman's reboot. I think that given the circumstances, about 1.2-1.3 million admissions would be an accurate prevsion for this new reboot. That would be about 12 million $.

Indeed. In fact, in spite of the quality, the sequels sold many tickets too:

Superman 78: 5,267,500

Superman II: 2,968,195

Superman III: 2,359,333

Superman IV: 1,233,223

Superman Returns: 1,816,024

As reference, Superman Returns sold nearly the same number of admissions than TDK (100k less), the same than TDKR, and 400k higher than Batman Begins.

With this I what to remark that when the economical situation was good (in 2005 and 2006), Superman's reboot was bigger than Batman's reboot. I think that given the circumstances, about 1.2-1.3 million admissions would be an accurate prevsion for this new reboot. That would be about 12 million $.

What it is with Spain and superman? any ideas?

What it is with Spain and superman? any ideas?

I do not have a concrete answer, but it is truth that Superman is quite iconical. I guess other languages will have done the same, but the word "superman" is accepted by the Spanish Language Academy. Its meaning is, of course, "Man with superhuman abilities and qualities".

But the response to Superman does not differ too much to Spider-man's, for instance. Batman seems to be a level under Supes and Spidy. This is a rank (in admissions) of movies of these franchises and you will see there is not so big difference:

Superman 78 (5,267,500)

Spider-man (5,249,541)

Batman 89 (3,536,426)

Spider-man 3 (3,280,449)

Spider-man 2 (3,225,678)

Superman II (2,968,195)

Superman III (2,359,333)

The Dark Knight (1,945,531)

The Dark Knight Rises (1,850,000) approx

Superman Returns (1,816,024)

Batman Begins (1,474,283)

The Amazing Spider-man (1,380,000) approx

Superman IV (1,233,223)

Batman Forever (1,121,293)

Batman Returns (1,104,444)

Batman & Robin (1,013,074)

Edited by peludo

I guess Spaniards tend to go for the brighter superheros (like me!!!). 

BTW peludo you're a Barca or Madrid fan? (or neither?)

Maybe we prefer brighter SH. However, in my personal case, I prefer a darker perspective. I love Nolan's Batman over Burton's and my hype is in the sky for MoS, which it seems to be very dark.

First of all, I am a Real Valladolid supporter which has ranked 14th this year in Liga (I was born and live in that city).

Between Madrid and Barça, I am a Madrid supporter, but these last 3 years I have not been so fan. Sometimes I have even desired that Madrid lose some match because of this absurdity called Mourinho. I detest him. Fortunately he has gone.

Said this, I do not have problem saying that Guardiola's Barça (and in some matches of Tito Vilanova's) is the best team I have ever seen (for reference, I am 32). Aside tastes, I have enjoyed a lot seeing them playing.

Maybe we prefer brighter SH. However, in my personal case, I prefer a darker perspective. I love Nolan's Batman over Burton's and my hype is in the sky for MoS, which it seems to be very dark.

First of all, I am a Real Valladolid supporter which has ranked 14th this year in Liga (I was born and live in that city).

Between Madrid and Barça, I am a Madrid supporter, but these last 3 years I have not been so fan. Sometimes I have even desired that Madrid lose some match because of this absurdity called Mourinho. I detest him. Fortunately he has gone.

Said this, I do not have problem saying that Guardiola's Barça (and in some matches of Tito Vilanova's) is the best team I have ever seen (for reference, I am 32). Aside tastes, I have enjoyed a lot seeing them playing.

Valladolid is a decent team but like most of la liga's teams - that are not called barca or madrid - they have limited resources.

Well you should be happy now because Mou is leaving and will be taking his brand of -ve football with him.

Tell me something, I keep reading about how the financial affairs of la liga are a mess and how the league in general seems to be going under, do you agree?

Valladolid is a decent team but like most of la liga's teams - that are not called barca or madrid - they have limited resources.

Well you should be happy now because Mou is leaving and will be taking his brand of -ve football with him.

Tell me something, I keep reading about how the financial affairs of la liga are a mess and how the league in general seems to be going under, do you agree?

Absolutely. The financial situation of football teams in Spain is catastrophic. All of them have spent money they did not have. Madrid and Barça have resources, but the rest do not. The worst matter is that even with all of debts, nobody is able to say: "you are out of the competition". It is very sad, but corruption is the main problem in this country. We are very fucked just for this. Fairly, it is probably any Spanish team should be able to play any European competition because of debts.

And yes, I am absolutely happy because Mou is out of Madrid.

The last weekend was the worst of the history with 2.1M€ and 300.000 admissions :wacko:

Cine Urgel in Barcelona, biggest cinema in Spain, closed the doors few weeks ago and the group Cines Abaco - Cinebox (3d franchise of cinemas)  is in troubles

It was expected. There was nothing good or appealing opening.

That is bad  :unsure: Was that just one theater? It is scary to think it closed considering it was in Barcelona and was the biggest in the country.

Edited by CJohn