BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

IMO, a simple population comparison is not fair. I do not think that Americans (or other nationality) love more movies than Spaniards. You should take into account the relation between GDP per capita and ticket price. The effort in each country to go to theaters is different if you compare salaries and ticket prices. In Spain, tickets are more expensive (about 9-10$) than in US, and we have lower salaries. The effort to go to cinema in Spain is bigger than in USA, so in the same conditions we can not go the same times to cinemas than Americans. Each market adapt itself to the conditions of the country, not just by a mere population count. For that reason, if a movie makes 70 million $ (for the moment) in a 700 million $ yearly market is an event comparable to 900-1 billion in US.

For example, with your system, Frozen's Japanese run is not so impressive. It has sold 12.7 million admissions for the moment, which means exactly a 10% of the Japanese population (about 127 million). That would mean about 35 million admissions in US, which currently means about 280 million in USA (I take 8$ as average ticket price in US). It is a good number, but nothing impressive. It still has to sell lots of admissions, but with how many it will finish, 20 million? That means about a 16% of the population. In USA it means 448 million $ (56 million admissions). Great number, but no record. And we all know that what Frozen is doing in Japan is monstruous, one of the most impressive runs we have ever seen, independently of the country. It must be compared to market size, not with country population. The market adapts to peculiarities of the country and tell you how big is a movie in relation to the rest of the market.

That is completly true, but as I sad if you don't look to the cinama habbits of the nation you get a more rational image of the situation. But as you say, every country got's it's own limmits to be awesome, for example in Belgium a 20M would be awesome.

Teenagers love her!! She is the latin Hannah Montana! Keep hammers away from her in a couple of years...

They should have hold the movie until mid Summer. Can you imagine the type of cash this would be making with Summer weekdays? At least here, it sold out all shows today in some of the 9 theaters where it is.

TOP 10 SATURDAY

[*]8 APELLIDOS VASCOS [*]NEIGHBORS NEW [*]VIOLETTA NEW [*]DIVERGENT [*]CARMINA Y AMEN [*]SPIDERMAN 2 [*]3 DAYS TO KILL NEW [*]RIO 2 [*]POMPEIA [*]FADING GIGOLO

Where do you guys think 8 apellidos vascos will finish??

8AV has started to have external competition. As Henry has said, this weekend Eurovision was watched by many people. But I think the main problem for 8AV is football. This weekend and next will be decided Liga. Next Saturday, at 18 pm, there will be played a decisive match. And then, next weekend, on May 24th, there is the final of Champions League between two Spanish teams. If you do not follow football, that match can be considered similar to Superbowl.

Beyond this, next weekend comes Godzilla and some strong competition will definitely hurt it because I think fatigue is already affecting it. If it is confirmed the numbers, 8AV would have done 3 million during last week, when previous it had done 8 million. IMO, having into account these factors, it will land somewhere between 75-80 million $ (54-58 milion €)

• Like 3

8AV has started to have external competition. As Henry has said, this weekend Eurovision was watched by many people. But I think the main problem for 8AV is football. This weekend and next will be decided Liga. Next Saturday, at 18 pm, there will be played a decisive match. And then, next weekend, on May 24th, there is the final of Champions League between two Spanish teams. If you do not follow football, that match can be considered similar to Superbowl. Beyond this, next weekend comes Godzilla and some strong competition will definitely hurt it because I think fatigue is already affecting it. If it is confirmed the numbers, 8AV would have done 3 million during last week, when previous it had done 8 million. IMO, having into account these factors, it will land somewhere between 75-80 million $ (54-58 milion €)

Atletico v barca :) I hope atletico win, they deserve it more
  • Like 1

Godzilla probably suffered a lot on Saturday night because of Atletico.

I don't know. The game finished early and a lot of people were on the street after it. Maybe many people went to the movies just to think about something else, at least here in Catalonia, because Barcelona not the lucky team that won the Cup yesterday...