baumer

A Fistful of Dollars

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The start of Leone's dollars trilogy, and Clint Eastwood's career as a leading man. A nameless gun-for-hire plays two feuding families against each other in a small town - the plot is a rehash of Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" but works well enough. There' a lot to love here: Camerawork, Eastwood's squint, Morricone's unrivaled music, and even some Austrian contribution (Josef Egger, as "Joe Edger", lends his characteristic face to the town's undertaker)

The reason this is "only" a B for me is simply that Westerns aren't my favourite genre, so I don't watch it often - but among Westerns, it's one of the best! Highly recommended even if you're not a Western fan.

It's not as good as the third film, but also not as middle of the road as the second film. I will admit that the first part pales in comparison to the second part of the film, but as a whole it comes a lot stronger than the second film. 80/100