Jack Nevada

50 Harshest Roger Ebert review quotes

38. The Spirit (2008)"The Spirit is mannered to the point of madness. There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material." — Roger EbertLMAO

• Like 1

I liked Freddy got fingered. That movie sort of started the teen movies.

Do you forget the 80's?  John Hughes?  Fasttimes at Ridgemont High?  Secret Admirer, The Wild Life, Porky's?  Freddy Got Fingered started nothing.

• Like 3

The problem with Ebert is he thinks his opinion of movies is more important than yours.  He thinks that if he hates a movie, it's just a bad movie.  I admire Ebert's writing, he is a truly gifted linguist.  By I detest him as a human being for the most part.  This is the guy who will tell you that you are an idiot for liking something.  He's a troll with a big vocabulary.

• Like 1

My issue with him is that sometimes his star ratings and the content of the reviews dont mix. Its often kinda hard to know whether he liked the movie or not.

3 out of 4 means he likes it.  2.5 out of 4 is a passing grade.  

My issue with him is that sometimes his star ratings and the content of the reviews dont mix. Its often kinda hard to know whether he liked the movie or not.

From wikipedia:

"Ebert has described his critical approach to films as "relative, not absolute"; he reviews a film for what he feels will be its prospective audience, yet always with at least some consideration as to its value as a whole. He awards four stars to films of the highest quality, and generally a half star to those of the lowest unless he considers the film to be "artistically inept" and/or "morally repugnant", in which case it will receive no stars"

Ebert has become sort of the critic's ring leader for a reason.  He is a great writer and reviewer(imo).