Impact

Best Actress-2013

Sasha's called The Butler "one of the most important films to come along in many years" and "very fine film in its own right — a four hanky-movie, entertaining from top to bottom" and then there's this:

Only a director with Daniels’ confidence could get that kind of performance from Oprah. Why? Why is it so rare to see women in American film portrayed with a healthy attitude about their sexuality? Maybe because Daniels himself doesn’t see an actress and want to fuck her.

So Spielberg did want to bone Oprah? Just stop, Sasha.

Who would be a first-time contender in Best Actress? I feel there are a lot of previous winners' names being thrown about but it will go to someone who hasn't won an Oscar yet.

Actress will be like last year's Supporting categories. No room for a newbie. The only two remotely possible choices are a foreign lesbian chick and Julia Delpy, who most definitely will not have a third time's the charm situation. 

That movie's gonna be so bad, even Sasha can't defend it. 

:rofl:

And this reminds me why I think Meryl can win:

Posted Image

OMG! Team Bombur's gonna be on this hammy shit's ass all year long now. Julia looks like a lock for a nom based on this histrionic.

I just don't see Meryl winning again until she ages up into the Miss Daisy/Amour type of roles. They did make her wait a long time between #2 and #3. Maybe if it's a really weak year the stars will line up in her favor. I don't see this year being like that, though.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

I just don't see Meryl winning again until she ages up into the Miss Daisy/Amour type of roles. They did make her wait a long time between #2 and #3. Maybe if it's a really weak year the stars will line up in her favor. I don't see this year being like that, though.

The only thing which matters is their performance, nothing else. If Meryl is better than anyone else this year, and if Academy is convinced from that, the award will go to her. And its the same theory for the other contenders as well.

The only thing which matters is their performance, nothing else. If Meryl is better than anyone else this year, and if Academy is convinced from that, the award will go to her. And its the same theory for the other contenders as well.

I've followed awards too long to believe that to be true. Oscars are often about so many other things than the "best" performance which is subjective anyway. The competition is a huge factor because some years are stronger than others, the actor's age matters (especially with actors as opposed to actresses—a 20 year old guy could do the greatest acting ever but winning Best Actor would be a huge challenge), and if a person's won before, that's a consideration as well. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but it's a factor outside of just the "performance, nothing else". It's more than a popularity contest but it's not a meritocracy either.

I think that you're underestimating the role here. Violet Weston isn't just a role; it is absolutely the role of a lifetime. I would say, and others agree with me, that Violet Weston is by and large the greatest female role of modern times. This is Meryl's Lion in Winter. The role itself is that amazing. And Meryl knocks it out of the park. The only thing is of course, she just won for Iron Lady. But, I do think that the role will prevail and get her infinitesimally close to or win the Oscar. I'm still praying and hoping for a Meryl win. And, just let me say this, if anyone else, such as Close or Lange, got the role, they would be the frontrunner for the win at this point. The role is just that good. 

This isn't true. But Meryl is Meryl. She's defied every rule in Hollywood. She can win, plain and simple. 

Please no Meryl

Oh shut up. 

Meryl's not happening. All the ham in the world won't help this time around.

Just you wait and see. 

I'm still not convinced about Sandra's role in GRAVITY! 

It's the Sandra Bullock show. She's in. The movie's also supposed to be really amazing. That and likely BO success will help. 

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Judi Dench, Philomena

Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks

Not convinced on Banks at all. I think that the Academy has always been a little stigmatised towards Disney as being Kids movies and therefore lesser. I mean the last time a Disney movie really won big would be Mary Poppins, wouldn't it? And no Disney movie, or any of its subsidiaries have ever won BP or BD. That's saying something.