baumer

Beautiful Creatures

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Not a bad film, not a great one. So I guess that makes it okay. Alden Ehrenreich is excellent as Eden and watching Oscar heavyweights Viola Davis, Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson ham it up is a lot of fun. Then there is the highlight of the film, Emmy Rossum. She exudes sexuality and she really steals every scene she is in. She should have been in it more.The film drags a bit in the middle but overall it's not bad.7/10

Beautiful Creatures is not a good movie. It is in fact what you might call a "turkey". Despite that there's still something very charming about this thing, its so stupid and clumsy that its almost endearing, really. I certainly had a good enough time watching the movie, and I found it to be an entertaining mess that you watch once and leave satisfied. 

The lead couple absolutely make this movie. I loved these kids! Alden Ehrenreich is like the anti-Edward, an immensely likable and charismatic main character. I also enjoyed Alice Englert as his romantic interest, and the two have great chemistry together. 

They cast big-name thespians (Jeremy Irons, Viola Davis, Emma Thompson, Emmy Rossum), but here comes the biggest issue of the movie, and that is the criminal underuse of these actors. I especially really would have liked to have seen more of the beyond OTT Emma Thompson and the very attractive Emmy Rossum, because neither were given anything to do in this movie. 

The very stupid and often badly done Beautiful Creatures kept me entertained for two hours, so it deserves

3/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

I agree, if not for Alden Ehrenreich and Alice Englert, this movie would've been subpar but I thought they had great chemistry and seeing the veterans ham it up was fun. It did ware a bit thin for its 2+ hour running time but I still was moderately entertained especially given my expectations going in. It's heads and shoulders above Twlight (although I suppose that's not hard to do) but not quite on the same level as The Hunger Games. Still, it's well worth watching if only once. It is a shame it didn't do better, and that Warner didn't know how to market it, as I wouldn't have minded seeing where the sequel went.

i liked it enough to want to check out books and see if they're better than the film!

the film itself was ok nothing wow, the leads were ok but yeah i didnt feel the chemistry , they had a good enough rapport and a quirky approach but i didnt feel an incredible passion love story between them , maybe if they had more time to slowly show them falling in love instead of rushing but i'm not holding it against the film hence why i want to read the books to see what they skipped 

also everytime i see a film like this , it makes me reflect on the crazy chemistry between robert pâttinson and kristen stewart , and intimate feel/indie vibe  hardwicke gave the film setting and how hard it is for that to happen it either does or doesnt  like with brad pitt and angeina jolie , one couple whose onscreen chemistry i admire even though they're just friends in real life is tom hanks and meg ryan 

if they make a sequel i hope they work on the script to give more time to the story

• Like 1