The talking dogs in Up were much more ridiculous than the fat people in Wall-E.

Case in point.

That the second half of Wall-E feels less Ghibli than the first half is not a criticism, imo. It is ultimately a movie more interested in ideas grounded in reality while Ghibli's films tend to be more fanciful. But the intimate interaction between the two main characters in the first half does further recall Ghibli's deliberate pacing, and I would like to see more of that from American studios.

OK, I see what you're saying. It does become more conventional once they get into space, but I like it more anyway. It's probably the monotonous colours of the post-apocalyptic Earth. The space scenes were just more interesting to look at.

I think the first half of WALL-E is some of the greatest cinema ever made.

Problem is, it's pacing was too slow/dull for the audience that finances these films. Wall-E had the components of a much bigger run. It's first half and possibly the green agenda stuff (though I think that was a misguided criticism) kept it grounded in the lower half of pixar grosses.

Problem is, it's pacing was too slow/dull for the audience that finances these films. Wall-E had the components of a much bigger run. It's first half and possibly the green agenda stuff (though I think that was a misguided criticism) kept it grounded in the lower half of pixar grosses.

Ghibli movies regularly gross $100 million+ in Japan. Is their patience for slow-paced kids films simply beyond our grasp?

Ghibli movies regularly gross $100 million+ in Japan. Is their patience for slow-paced kids films simply beyond our grasp?

There's a lot of other successful kids films like Pokemon and Doraemon that are maybe much more in line with "American pacing". Although I don't know for sure having never seen any except the first Pokemon movie.

And the Ghibli films, despite the slow-pace, are still very colourful and interesting to look at.

And the Ghibli films, despite the slow-pace, are still very colourful and interesting to look at.

Obviously. I would expect nothing less from any American filmmaker who wanted to go that route.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any fast-paced animated films, I just would like to see more of a variety.

Indeed. Just look at all the crazy monsters in Spirited Away or the undersea craziness in Ponyo.. they're not boring for kids to see. Except for Porco Rosso or Mononoke, maybe

But that's the problem with Wall-E, its post-apocalyptic Earth is just uninteresting.

I can't speak for an 8-year-old, but I strongly disagree. Whenever I go back and watch it I'm always looking for junk in the background that I never noticed before.

Do they overperform in other overseas markets? I would blame something along the lines of cultural relativity more (for it grossing so high over there, not for it grossing so low over here).

My best friend went to see this with his girlfriend and her 2 kids and none of them liked it. Disappointing that Pixars quality is starting to dip and the fact that they are starting to make sequels (not named Toy Story) worries me.

I can't speak for an 8-year-old, but I strongly disagree. Whenever I go back and watch it I'm always looking for junk in the background that I never noticed before.

Yeah, I absolutely love Wall-E. Top 3 Pixar film personally, for sure.

Do they overperform in other overseas markets? I would blame something along the lines of cultural relativity more (for it grossing so high over there, not for it grossing so low over here).

Well, to be fair to Americans, we are farther along in accepting animation as a medium than just about everyone else in the world except Japan and Korea. But I think Japan's perspective is one we should still strive to achieve.

Edited by tribefan695

Hardly compares to this though:

tumblr_l1o6vbaucB1qaew7n.jpg

ponyo2.jpg

Just look at all the colours!

And then this:

500x_futuremetrowalle.jpg

desolateEarth.jpg