Well, to be fair to Americans, we are farther along in accepting animation as a medium than just about everyone else in the world except Japan and Korea. But I think Japan's perspective is one we should still strive to achieve.

to each his own -- but i would never trade the likes of FN, TI, Up for any other type of film.

And probably never will.

http://tvtropes.org/...mationAgeGhetto

"Animation owns the reputation of a frivolous medium suitable primarily for children's entertainment;"

Huh. Given how its own of the largest/most beloved genres when it comes to American film, I don't quite get the statement---although most of his article seems critical of animation for television.

"Animation owns the reputation of a frivolous medium suitable primarily for children's entertainment;"

Huh. Given how its own of the largest/most beloved genres when it comes to American film, I don't quite get the statement---although most of his article seems critical of animation for television.

It's critical of the attitude to animation. And even if it's beloved, it's still largely seen as a kids thing, not something for everyone, look at the quote fro Ebert at the top.

Hardly compares to this though:

tumblr_l1o6vbaucB1qaew7n.jpg

ponyo2.jpg

Just look at all the colours!

And then this:

500x_futuremetrowalle.jpg

desolateEarth.jpg

Point taken, but those two pictures hardly show off what is really interesting about Wall-E's planet, which is in the details. It's when the camera is close up on Wall-E that you really notice them.

Edited by tribefan695

Might not beat Cars 2? How do you figure?

I'm going pessimistic with the numbers, but Brave has got a lot of comp coming up, I don't see the "stabilization" as a sure thing. If it keeps dropping over 45% every weekend, regardless of how strong the weekdays are, it's toast.

IA4 is not going to help at all.

If it drops at 45% from here on out, where does it end up? Some of you are pretty good/quick with that math. The problem I've always said was it's going to need a fair amount of drops in the 20s and 30s if it's going to have a chance at UP numbers, or even Cars/MI numbers.

Sure it might have a couple 45% drops in store. But later in its run it'll stabilize and legs will carry it further than 217 with much smaller drops. Plus, weekdays are where this will get its real money. Middle of summer fare depends largely on that and this is no different.

For reference, Cars 2's average weekend drop rate for the first nine weeks (ie: up to the tenth weekend) was -45.79%. I didn't go further because then it had the Labour Day expansion and it went up over 400%.

Edited by lab276

For reference, Cars 2's average weekend drop rate for the first nine weeks (ie: up to the tenth weekend) was -45.79%. I didn't go further because then it had the Labour Day expansion and it went up over 400%.

Didn't know this lab. Good stuff. Whoot, if you read this and you're still pessimistic about Brave's run, you've no hope. :lol: no way this has Cars 2 WOM. Which means those drops are likely not to happen.

Just watched Tangled and I'm absolutely amazed how positive and sympathic this movie was! Wow! I have a 'banana smile' on my face! : D If Merida is as good written and animated as Razpunzel, I'm gonna love Brave. : ) (but I'm still hope we will have non dubbed version in cinemas...)

My revised estimate for Brave is $240mil. I think it will recover and yet won't recover from the steep drop this weekend, if that makes any sense.

Tracking pretty closely with Wall-E for now but I think it will fare better over the next few month. Why did Wall-E drop so heavily in its first 4 weeks? It was an excellent movie. Up and Wall-E's grosses should have been reversed IMO.

I notice BoMojo still has "Bear and the Bow" in the URL for the Brave pages. LOL