US animated always put the laughing in first...why? Following the tradition of BugsBunny/Tom&Jerry, etc?

Well, it's not just us. Japan seems to be the only culture where animation is taken seriously, and not simply as a comedic, kid-oriented medium. Why do the Blue Sky and Dreamworks movies do so inexplicably well in Europe? You'd probably know that better than I do.

I'm a little overenthused about Rise of the Guardians' marketing so far because they are promoting it more like a sincere fantasy tale. There's only one joke and it's not even a real laugh-out-loud kind of joke. I was hoping they'd keep going that route with Brave after the teaser but it devolved into a clumsily edited mixture of slapstick and fantasy-epicness.

Edited by tribefan695

Well, it's not just us. (1)Japan seems to be the only culture where animation is taken seriously, and not simply as a comedic, kid-oriented medium. Why do the Blue Sky and Dreamworks movies do so inexplicably well in Europe? (2)You'd probably know that better than I do.

I'm a little overenthused about Rise of the Guardians' marketing so far because they are promoting it more like a sincere fantasy tale. There's only one joke and it's not even a real laugh-out-loud kind of joke. I was hoping they'd keep going that route with Brave after the teaser but it devolved into a (3) clumsily edited mixture of slapstick and fantasy-epicness.

1: I would even say "Asian" culture because i think Korea also does "adult" animation.

It's the heritage of manga. Asian don't see "drawing stuff" as a kid thing but a way to tell stories, talk about history, emotions, evolution of the society, etc... They really explore that medium.

2: Success in Europe? Because "we" (who am i to speak in the name of a whole continent? lol) love funny animals, nice colors, etc. And animation is also seen as a massive "kid thing" here. In France, many movies in the TOP20 are old Disney (SnowWhite, etc) so many generations felt in love with all this Universe. Audiences don't make a difference between Bluesky or others.

A "cast" like the one in Ice Age franchise is made-for-success.

3: Painful for me to admit that but Brave trailer isn't magical enough, i think.... And Merrida's face is too "cute", too rounded. Too baby.

How old is she supposed to be?

And we have a critter/little animal falling in a woman's breast?

They should really take cues from the marketing of blockbusters aimed at older audiences. Star Trek and The Avengers had a ton of humor, but they kept a lid on it and instead focused on the spectacle because that does not ever require context.

Granted you can't exactly market something like Madagascar like that, but they should still pick their jokes wisely and ask themselves if an unknowing audience would really find them as funny as they do with the complete scene in front of them.

Disneys Robin Hood? I love that movie! So much nostalgia.

It's the first Disney animated film I saw in theaters. It will always have a special place in my heart.

How about this, I'll bet none of you saw Song of the South in theaters. I remember seeing it in a re-release in 1986 or 1987. It was the last time that film saw the light of day in the United States.