Rocky II  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The most memorable movie line in the history of cinemaForget Gone With The Wind or any Arnold film with "I'll be Back" in it, "Yo Adrian...." is the king of all movie lines. And it fits perfectly into the Rocky character. What else would he say after he wins the title?Rocky 2 is a perfect follow up to Rocky. And that can only be attributed to Stallone and Stallone alone. Everyone else did their job perfectly but Stallone created this character, so why shouldn't he direct the next three films? Here he makes Rocky 2 feel exactly like the original and I really believe that the only reason this film didn't get more critical acclaim is the same reason that Speilberg had trouble getting respect from the critics early in his career. He is too young and wet behind the ears to be this good. If Rocky deserved to win best picture in 76, then this certainly deserved to be out Kramer vs. Kramer for best picture. But it wasn't even nominated, and that is a shame because this film is a perfect follow up to the first.Here Rocky is still the lovable, sweet but slow guy. He has a little more money in his pocket but it is disappearing fast. Add to his troubles that his wife is now pregnant and life isn't so great. Apollo Creed is also practically coercing him into a rematch that could make him blind. There is so much to like in this film and the highlight of it is obviously the final half hour, the match. Have you ever cheered so much for a character to win a match? Probably not.Rocky II is as good as Rocky and it is not just a repeat of the first movie. It takes the saga to the next step and does a great job of entertaining us in the process. Stallone proved how smart of a man he is by making this film. People thought he was a fluke when he took the world by storm in 76. But this film proved not only his versatility ( writer, director, actor, and boxing choreographer ) but his sheer ability to entertain. There is still an innocence about this film even though it is a sequel. And how many actors can lay claim to the fact that they are responsible for two franchises of movie characters? I can think of one other than Stallone ( Harrison Ford ). But with Rambo and Rocky, Stallone established his niche in Hollywood history. This a great film. And this has to be said, just once in a review." Yo Adrian, I did it!! " There I got it out of my system.9.5/10

Edited by baumer

The end of Rocky is one of the memorable endings in film history, and Rocky II smartly opens with reminding us of the intensity of that ending, before re-entering the character drama that makes the first Rocky a classic. I'm not sure I'd call Rocky II a classic, but it's one of the best executed "bigger is better" sequels. The fight is bigger, the montages are longer, and the plot is more melodramatic. Stallone does interesting work with how Rocky handles fame, and although it feels at odds with the original at points (the sidelining of Paulie being a major issue), the film mostly works. Burgess Meredith and Carl Weathers get expanded roles from the first film, which works to this one's benefit, as their characters are more fleshed out and makes us care more about Rocky's world. The final fight tops the first one, as Stallone uses slow-motion and differing angles to great effect. Every punch is felt, and Rocky's final result is one that would make everyone in the audience cheer. Rocky II is a worthy sequel to a 70s classic. B

• Like 2