Plain Old Tele

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

This gets an A from me, even if I don't rewatch it all that often (ST4 is the one I've watched most times I think). I would watch it more often but I know few people who like it that much.

Apart from finally seeing NGC-1701 on the big screen, there's a lot to like here. Thought-provoking SF (rare on film), not exciting but interesting, and conflicts solved in an intelligent manner by thinking characters. The slow approach to the Enterprise will probably bore general audiences to tears nowadays; I find it not a second too long. The SFX inside V'ger have a dreamlike quality not unlike those at the end of 2001, and the V'ger set itself has an otherworldly, yet simple, look that's sorely missing from many of today's SF which always tries to go for gritty/realistic.

• Like 1

Almost insufferable. So many 5 minute long shots of things emerging, or things being zoomed in on, or actors reacting to things emerging, or being zoomed in on. Literally nothing happens in the first half hour, and the other ninety (felt like nine hundred) minutes aren't exactly eventful, either. Plodding doesn't even begin to describe it.

The score was fun. Most random actor in the movie award goes to the dad from Seventh Heaven.

Not for me

• Like 2

Almost insufferable. So many 5 minute long shots of things emerging, or things being zoomed in on, or actors reacting to things emerging, or being zoomed in on. Literally nothing happens in the first half hour, and the other ninety (felt like nine hundred) minutes aren't exactly eventful, either. Plodding doesn't even begin to describe it. The score was fun. Most random actor in the movie award goes to the dad from Seventh Heaven. Not for me

Then his wife from the show shows up in a different ST movie.
  • Like 1

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is perfect in its attitude of exploration and discovery. Unfortunately, this doesn't really make for a thoroughly compelling movie. Wise is much more interested in space's deep vistas and the disturbing look of V'Ger than the character dynamics that ground Star Trek in what makes it truly enjoyable. Nimoy is the only one giving a decent performance; everyone else is either outright bad (William Shatner) or forgettable. The new characters of Ilia and Decker are completely boring, making their fates rather welcome. Star Trek: The Motion Picture has its moments, but ultimately fails to be a truly good Star Trek film. C

I think TMP would have been a knockout if they had fleshed out the relationship between Decker and Ilia more. 

Still, TMP entranced me with its impeccable visuals and fantastic score, also not disappointing in the more intimate moments, which were handled with just the right precision by Wise.

TMP is a surprisingly good film, despite huge expository issues.

70/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1