77957.jpg

Spoiler

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo

77907.jpg

Spoiler

1. Re:Zero

79410.jpg

@SchumacherFTW

Good year for anime and definitely was spoiled for choice compared to 2015. There a few notable shows I am yet to complete (namely 3 Gatsu Lion and Stray Dogs).

Edited by eXtacy

I just finished watching Children Who Chase Lost Voices and I am astonished to say the least.  The way Shinkai fluidly and heart wrenchingly weaves in his moral message about life and the plethora of ways in which the film views and explores loss and human suffering resonate in ways that are simply incapable of being described!  It reminds me very much of Howl's Moving Castle and many of Miyazaki's works as Shinkai's directing and writing is reminiscent to that of the atmosphere, pacing, and emotional tug of Miyazaki's works.  Next on my agenda is 5 Centimeters Per Second. :D 

Excerpts from a recent Paris interview by Shinkai.  Can he get anymore modest?  

“Of course I’m happy when people mention his name and mine in the same breath. It’s like a dream. But I know they are overpraising ‘Your Name.’ because I am absolutely not at Miyazaki’s level.

“Honestly, I really don’t want Miyazaki to see it because he will see all its flaws.”

“The audience laughed, then they sobbed … I had drawn a graph when I was making it about how the audience might react, and it was just like that.

“Obviously I was happy to see it worked but at the same time I was afraid that it had worked too well. I said to myself, ‘Damn, maybe I overdid it.’ ”

He also called "Your Name" incomplete and said that 2 years was not enough.  Since anime films tend to do quite well at the box office in France, especially works by Miyazaki, Your Name could be looking at another goldmine in France. 

Credits: Japan Times

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

Watched Spirited Away for what seemed like the 100th time and I enjoyed it better than my 99th viewing. 

The themes about transitioning into adulthood, how greed affects your life, why identity is so important, and about family, love, companionship, first impressions, and having a "home," are done in such amazing fashions that every single time I see this film, I can relate one of the themes to a different example.  Every single detail, every single word spoken, every action, and every reaction are crucial to the film and compose what is essentially a quintessential work of art and a metaphorical examination of society.  Much like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away utilizes literary devices such as metaphors to their highest degree and weaves the devices into the story in emotional and effective manners.  Spirited Away relentlessly makes you wonder, makes you awed, makes your heart pound, makes you cry, makes you giddy with joy, and wonderfully encapsulates your heart for a good two hours before bitter sweetly letting you go in such a way that the viewing of the film itself ties into the whole experience.  No film is perfect is what I should say, but Spirited Away is pretty damn perfect!  

Now I see why even Shinkai gets embarrassed when being compared to the likes of Miyazaki.  Miyazaki is simply... indescribable in his storytelling.  Simply indescribable. 

• Like 2

New Gintama, Konosuba, Blue Exorcist and Rakugo will make next season good. Still most excited for Little Witch Academia!

Its also the talent at Studio Ghibli, not just Miyazaki, which make their films great. He always got the lions share of the talent there. Be interesting to see what Shinkai or Hosoda could do with the same team behind them.

6 hours ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Watched Spirited Away for what seemed like the 100th time and I enjoyed it better than my 99th viewing. 

The themes about transitioning into adulthood, how greed affects your life, why identity is so important, and about family, love, companionship, first impressions, and having a "home," are done in such amazing fashions that every single time I see this film, I can relate one of the themes to a different example.  Every single detail, every single word spoken, every action, and every reaction are crucial to the film and compose what is essentially a quintessential work of art and a metaphorical examination of society.  Much like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away utilizes literary devices such as metaphors to their highest degree and weaves the devices into the story in emotional and effective manners.  Spirited Away relentlessly makes you wonder, makes you awed, makes your heart pound, makes you cry, makes you giddy with joy, and wonderfully encapsulates your heart for a good two hours before bitter sweetly letting you go in such a way that the viewing of the film itself ties into the whole experience.  No film is perfect is what I should say, but Spirited Away is pretty damn perfect!  

Now I see why even Shinkai gets embarrassed when being compared to the likes of Miyazaki.  Miyazaki is simply... indescribable in his storytelling.  Simply indescribable. 

Still preferred Your Name to Spirited Away :ph34r:

On 12/29/2016 at 8:10 AM, Boxx93 said:

Garden Of Words is a fucking masterpiece. Even for a 45 minute film is just beautiful to watch.

Yup, Absolutely beautiful. And the characters are incredibly well developed and realized in that short span of time. You get attached. My favorite shinkai film (still haven't seen Kimi No wa though). 

Edited by Infernus

As for Anime of the Year, it easily goes to Re:Zero for me. It was absolutely awesome with the only downside being that it was a tad too sadistic quite some times.

Erased lost all of its momentum in the second half.

Yuri on Ice was good but I am unable to see what made it special....I just saw it as a good but nothing-that-unique sports anime. The music throughout was good especially the opening and Ending themes, animation was pretty good and the routines did seem somewhat unique and well realized through the character narrative during them but other than that the whole layout seemed pretty generic.

Maybe 8/10 overall.

I seriously want to understand what others saw in it.

Edited by Infernus

Re:Zero was is the biggest seller in 2016 then Konosuba. Yuri first volumes sales just outsold Re:Zero three-four times over. Absolutely a mega hit in Japan which is great for a completely original piece of work. Will have a second season no doubt.

Edited by eXtacy

3 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Re:Zero was is the biggest seller in 2016 then Konosuba. Yuri first volumes sales just outsold Re:Zero three-four times over. Absolutely a mega hit in Japan which is great for a completely original piece of work. Will have a second season no doubt.

It better, freaking loved Yuri! Can't get the damn OP out of my head! 

Okay heres my first impressions of the new season. Watched the first episode of most things and heres what I think is worth your time. Top three almost certain I will watch the entire season.

1. Little Witch Acadamia

2. Scums Wish

3. Interview with Monster Girls

-------------------------------------

4. Maid Dragon

5. Onehei

6. Chain Chronicle

7. Fuuka

About to watch the original Ghost in the Shell at the theatre. Don't really remember it all that well, so this is good for me. 

We're getting a pretty good spread of anime at the moment here in the UK, with Your Name getting occasional re-expansions, and Yu-Gi-Oh, A Silent Voice and Sword Art Online getting released by the end of April too. 

Yuri on Ice won the Crunchyroll Anime of the Year award but lets not kid ourselves it does not deserve it. Just happened to be the biggest thing of the last season of 2016. The real winners in my opinion are Re:Zero and Shouwa Rakugo