Dementeleus

Kung Fu Panda (2008)

Kung Fu Panda (2008)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of those cases where a cliched story and uneven humor brings down the whole movie despite all the talent being displayed.  It could have been a bit more serious as well, or at least, it should have tried to not turn everything into a potential joke for toddlers.

Still, KFP has the best action sequences I have ever seen in the medium (and has produced as far I'm concerned); voice work couldn't be more perfect, even thinly written characters becomes compelling; and multiple times the stunning visuals and spectacular score combined to create some powerful imagery and emotion.

I know I would have enjoyed a prequel about Tai Lung and Shifu a lot more, though.

It may not transcend its medium like most Pixar works, but it is still quality family entertainment.

75/100

An amazing film. In my top 3 animations along with Nemo(A) and Shrek 1(A+).

The setting and story were unique. The animation was splendid but looks deceptively simple.

The dialogues were witty and thoughtful, voice work was spot on and the action thrilling - Tai Lung's escape from prison is epic.

A+

Edited by a2knet

The moral looks basic at first glance, but "You have to decide to be the best you can be, and no one will hand it to you, but you can reach it through hard work." and "some people learn differently but that doesn't make them stupid or inept,", and my personal favorite, "anyone can be great," has always resonated with me.  It's about two character's personal growth, I get not liking how little of the Furious Five we see, but it would have been crowded otherwise, I feel. Unless it did something like the one-sentence asides every chef got in Ratatouille

Some of the humor is unwarranted and cuts through a good moment, but the serious moments that are allowed to stand on their own outnumber them. This movie has the best and (I'm assuming) most accurate animated fights I have ever seen, even nine years later, and still captivate me to this day.

It's not perfect, but it's my favorite movie. A.