My Week with Marilyn

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade My Week with Marilyn

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

An absolutely fascinating film that gives you an inside glimpse of what happens on a film set. We get to see the insecurities and triumphs of some of the most famous people in the history of film. Sir Laurence Olivier and Marilyn Monroe are shown here as being tyrannical, coquettish, warm, insecure and mean all at the same time. It's of course told from a first person point of view by Colin (forget his last name). He is a young boy who gets a job on the Olivia Monroe picture and he ends up spending some unforgettable time with Marilyn Monroe. I enjoyed this film immensely and I found it to be rather humourous. It was also excellent to see so many familiar faces. Emma Watson, Judy Dench and Dominic Cooper just to name a few.This should be Williams first oscar win. She is excellent.9/10

Pretty good film with a stunning performance from Williams. Kenneth Brannagh and Judie Dench were also terrific in their roles. Emma was adorable ("I'm washing my hair!") but I wish she had played a larger role in the second half of the film. But, nevertheless, this is Michelle William's film through and through, and she is absolutely sensational every second of the way. She captured the mannerisms of Marilyn with perfection.

B+

• Like 1

I enjoyed all the performances, but I felt the film was just alright. It was solid, but for whatever reason, I never felt a connection to it.I'm interested to see the other film about monroe as well, (but I do realize this film just focused on a a singular event in her life)I think Michelle Williams will get (and should get) a nomination, but I don't think she's gonna win.

I think the next Marilyn film should also deal with her death. That would be fascinating and incredible if executed well. But Michelle's performance will be very difficult to top.

Yeah, I think the next one is more of a standard bio, from her childhood through her death. It would have been cool to see Michelle in a larger scale film like that. We could have seen more layers, how she was as Norma Jean, the Marylin personal, etc.I think there would have been a better chance for her to WIN with an expanded role.

Just saw this today and I have to say, I was a little disappointed. I enjoyed Michelle Williams' and Kenneth Branagh's peformances but the story didn't strike any kind of cord with me. I suppose it's a nice film but nothing more, nothing less. As with J. Edgar, I will give the movie props for its production and costume designs, however.

***/*****, (C+, 6.2/10, 2.5/4)

Edited by TheMovieman