baumer

Jaws 2 celebrates 35 years (I celebrate it)

Jaws came out in 1975 and set box office records.  It created a new lucrative box office season.  It launched the career of the greatest director in history of film (imo). 

In 1978, the sequel came out and it unfortunately had to hire a new director and move on without two of its big stars from the first.  Quint was dead and Hooper was on the Aurora.  So now Zanuck and Brown were forced to carry on without three of the main pieces to the uber successful film. 

But they did have Roy Scheider, Jeffrey Kramer, Lorraine Gary and Murray Hamilton.  All of them were important characters in the first one and they reprised their roles in the second.

Jaws 2 wasn't nearly as successful as the original.  It made about a third of what the original did (260 mill to 81 mill).  And the worldwide take was about half of the original as well.

So the financial success of the first one was not there although it still made a pile of money as the budget was under 20 million.

But beyond the financial aspect of the film, I am here to celebrate one of the greatest sequels of all time.  JAWS was a masterpiece and deserved to win best picture in 1975 and it was a terrifying film, but JAWS 2, imo, while not as good as a film overall, is in some ways scarier.  You have the iconic poster of the water skiing.  What a terrific scene that was.  A young girl and her friend or mother, are waterskiing and driving the boat.  Suddenly you see the giant fin break surface about 100 feet away.  It is moving fast, like submarine fast.  It closes in on the waterskiier.  You then see the fin behind her.  And finally, the jaws of death snap at her dragging her down.  When the driver notices that she is no longer on the ski, she turns around calls out her name.  JAWS then attacks the boat and she throws gas on him and then the boat blows up.  An incredibly tense scene. 

Another of my favourites is when Tina and Eddie break away from the crew heading out to the sea.  They go off in the small sail boat together to make love.  As they are getting the blanket out, the shark attacks the boat and Eddie is thrown overboard.  He is on one side of the boat and on the other is JAWS.  They are both swimming to the boat but from opposite directions.  Tina sees the shark and implores Eddie to swim faster.  But he doesn't make it and is then dragged to the boat and he smacks off the side of it.  He makes one last attempt to get back in but is pulled down from an unseen force, pulling off some of the boat and then dying in a pool of blood.  When she is rescued by Ellen and Martin and Jeffrey, her reaction is one of the best scenes in the movie and it also validates Martin's suspicions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1RAK_CEBE

Just a couple more.  The scene where Sean is helped up onto the boat after it has capsized and then he watches as the girl who helped him is swallowed whole.  It's a brilliant job by Szwarc and another terrifying moment in the film.

Go to 1:58 of this scene to see it.  Terrified the hell out of me as a teen

There is also a scene with the helicopter where the pilot gets eaten, and this was only shown on TV

And finally the final death of the shark was a classic.

I love JAWS 2.  It's 35 years old this summer.  It was released on June 16th 1978. 

I think it's good to celebrate some of the classics when they reach their milestones.  I realize some of the younger posters here may not have seen the sequel.  I'd implore you to do so.  You might not like it as much as I do, but chances are you will enjoy it in some way.

Posted Image

Edited by Jaws 2 baumer
  • Like 4

Pales in comparison to the original, but I've seen this film at least a couple dozen times over the years.  My uncle taped Jaws, Jaws 2 & Jaws 3 for me on a VHS in the late 80's, so that got a lot of use. 

... The girl getting eaten alive in front of Shawn is just horrific ...

... that dumb bitch who can't stop screaming was always a bit annoying ... but I can understand the fear.

... and people not believing in Chief Brody ... they should all be dropped in shark infested water. :P

Jaws 2 is a cinematic masterpiece when watched before either Jaws 3D or Jaws: The Revenge.

Jaws 10/10 ... easily top 10 all time for me.

Jaws 2 7.5/10

Jaws 3 3/10

Jaws 4 1/10

Edited by agkman
  • Like 1

Sadly, this is the only Jaws I never got a chance to see in a theater at any point.  However, it is a very good and entertaining sequel to one of the best movies.

I can still remember the shark biting the electrical line at the end.  It almost pops into my head before the ending of the original sometimes. :P

• Like 1