Saboteur (1942)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

hitchcock seems close to incompetent here with awful editing and laughable american propaganda. i mildly enjoyed the beginning with what seemed to be a tongue-in-cheek character exploration despite its stupidity but once we get to the mansion it's nearly intolerable.

D

Don't remember if it was Sabotage or Saboteur was what I saw a while back. I remember really liking the one I saw though.

Sabotage is the one that revolves around a bomb, which explodes at the end of the movie. It is from his British phase, his first talking movie if I'm not mistaken. 

Saboteur uses the classic Hitchcockian trope "innocent man is chased by people for things he didn't do". It's very American-ish, the villains are communists and the climax takes place in the Statue of Liberty. 
Edited by Goffe

Definitely the most heavy-handed and simplistic of all Hitchcock films. Villains way too cartoonish for me. It feels like a movie made by a competent someone trying to imitate the master. 50/100

Edited by Goffe

It's pretty average, but it's still Hitchcock so it's moderately engaging and a decent way to kill 90 minutes. 

Fun fact: Norman Lloyd (the main villain) is still alive and working, he's turning 101 in three weeks and IMDb says he just appeared in Trainwreck this summer. What a life, what a career. 

• Like 1