Punishment

Weekend Actuals 7/5-7/7

STID is not a failure but its gross is seen as a disappointment to many because it made less than the first domestically despite added 3D and being a follow up to a well received film. No matter what people say, nothing will convince me that that is not somewhat disappointing

Disappointing? To us? Sure.

It increased 60M WW.

IM3: 2.3x

FF6: 2.4x

STID: 3.1x (From 3-Day)

2.6x (From 4-Day)

Again, currently the best legs of the Blockbusters. (Not including WHD,WWZ and MoS yet)

MU...

Disappointing? To us? Sure.

It increased 60M WW.

yes it increased less than 100m worldwide despite added 3D, a huge China gross (the highest market I believe and the fact is they don't keep the majority of the gross) and 4 years of expanding markets.

• Like 2

come on ED, you know better than that

It needed somewhere in the range of $550-600M to break even at the box office.

Well if that was the case, the first one must of lost money as well. Even with the 250M+ Domestic gross.

MU...

Animation movie? Really? They don't ever count in this. They're all like guaranteed a 3x multiplier.  <_<

Edited by #Despicable ED

IM3: 2.3x

FF6: 2.4x

STID: 3.1x (From 3-Day)

2.6x (From 4-Day)

Again, currently the best legs of the Blockbusters. (Not including WHD,WWZ and MoS yet)

Hmm, not counting animated movies, is WWZ going to have the best legs of the summer? (Of the really big films, of course.)

That would be crazy!

And it cost $40M more to make. Not a good trade-off.

But if you're saying it needed to make 500M+ for it to profit, then the 1st one needed about 400M+ to profit.

So they're both failures?

Hmm, not counting animated movies, is WWZ going to have the best legs of the summer? (Of the really big films, of course.)

That would be crazy!

I hated IM3, but I don't think it's that bad of a movie.

406M is HUGE!

But I definitely did not expect a 2.3x in legs.

Animation movie? Really? They don't ever count in this. There all like guaranteed a 3x multiplier.  <_<

So when you said best legs of the summer you were really comparing to just a couple of other films. One of them being the perennially frontloaded Fast And Furious series, and the other opened over twice as much STID

Edited by Tower

But if you're saying it needed to make 500M+ for it to profit, then the 1st one needed about 400M+ to profit.

So they're both failures?

The 2009 ST had some pretty small overseas numbers. It was probably not profitable at the box office, but probably did okay after home video, tv, etc, came in.

That said, the "first one" in reboots or series like this is sometimes expected to be a bit of a write-off, as studios spend money to try to attract people to a new franchise. They don't neccessarily expect to make all their money off of one movie, but hope that one movie can build a franchise for them that will be profitable down the road.

STID really didn't pay off for them quite as big as they had hoped, despite the bigger budget and the addition of 3D.

I hated IM3, but I don't think it's that bad of a movie.

406M is HUGE!

But I definitely did not expect a 2.3x in legs.

The "problem" there is that it's opening weekend was just so huge. It was the first big event film of the year, and is also likely to turn out to be the overall biggest event film of the year. There was a huge rush to see it on opening weekend.

Unlike so many films we're seeing right now, IM3 really had no competiton for screens and showtimes in theaters. I think it had nearly twice as many showtimes as something like MOS did at my local theaters. There were a few sellouts,  but for the most part, anyone that wanted to see it on opening weekend was able to see it on opening weekend.

That's the big benefit of being the first big film to kick off the summer. The theaters have lots of screens and showtimes available, so IM3 was able to meet a lot of its obviously high demand on opening weekend.