Rushmore (1998)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I have yet to see Moonrise Kingdom, but it's always between this and Fantastic Mr. Fox as my favorite Wes Anderson film.  The film just works because Schwartzman and Murray are great together.  And the scene where they try to one up each other is still great.  A

Definitely charming and more enjoyable than Bottle Rocket, but I still feel that there isn't enough story to justify a feature film. Anderson is super great with characters, isn't he? 60/100

Edited by Goffe

Rushmore is a stunning dramedy about the families we make and the lies that threaten to tear them apart. Schwartzman, Murray and Williams all transcend their characters as written, which is quite an accomplishment when they're written by Anderson and Wilson. Williams in particular elevates an underwritten character to be more memorable than she should be. The underwritten female characters are really the only issue with the film; otherwise, Anderson's trademarked mixture of melancholy and humor shines brightly here. Along with Yeoman's excellent cinematography, Anderson knows exactly when to play with the camera for humor or when to leave the shot stable for maximum emotional effect. None of the characters here should be likable, but yet, by following their plights so intensely, they are remarkably sympathetic. Rushmore is an excellent film, one full of fantastic acting, a great script, and winning direction from Wes Anderson. A