Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

Yeah. Normally when a major local movie opens, it gets a huge chunk of showtimes, and other openers, unless an established property like Iron Man or Transformers, won't be able to get many.Holdovers lose most of their showtimes too, and therefore Guardians will again be affected next weekend when another big local movie opens.In other words, Guardians is f***ed.

Thanks. What a shame. You'd think being a new 'MARVEL' movie would give it some privilege. Can it still keep the showtimes if it's doing well?

Thanks. What a shame. You'd think being a new 'MARVEL' movie would give it some privilege. Can it still keep the showtimes if it's doing well?

Not really. India doesn't operate on which studio is releasing a movie. The audience for Hollywood movies itself is pretty limited, and there is an all consuming local hit releasing next weekend for Independence Day. Also, regional language film industries also have big movies releasing next week. India has film industries in almost every state in addition to Bollywood.
  • Like 2

Early word on "Entertainment" is that it is a lot better than the trailers make it look. I have to say, I am in shock if that is true. 

Taran rated it 3.5/5... Since he rates almost all movies above 4, I feel that Entertainment might not be that good! He rated Kick 4.5 I think!

Browsing through IMDB brought me to Rupesh Paul's page. The guy perenially has movies under production, but I don't know if any of them ever released. For example, his "masterpiece" Kamasutra 3D which has been to 2 Cannes buyers markets (not the festival) and no news on that since forever, the recent controversy from him is about the MH 370 movie he was planning. He seems to be running a good con business.

Just finished watching Chak De! India. I really enjoyed it a lot, Shah Rukh Khan has yet to disappoint me :) 

I just have a couple of questions about the movie:

1) is Chak de something Indians say often? Like a self encouragement motto or something. Koreans have a similar thing where they shout Fighting! to encourage themselves

2) How big is Hockey in India? I get that women hockey seems pretty unpopular from what I saw from the film but the response to losing to pakistan at the beginning seemed pretty phenomenal. Maybe men's hockey is more popular?

• Like 2

Just finished watching Chak De! India. I really enjoyed it a lot, Shah Rukh Khan has yet to disappoint me :)

1) is Chak de something Indians say often? Like a self encouragement motto or something. Koreans have a similar thing where they shout Fighting! to encourage themselves

2) How big is Hockey in India? I get that women hockey seems pretty unpopular from what I saw from the film but the response to losing to pakistan at the beginning seemed pretty phenomenal. Maybe men's hockey is more popular?

1) Chak De is a Punjabi word which is used by only a small section.

2) Hockey is the national sports of India and at one point of time India was the world champion for many years. But in the recent decades, Cricket has become much more popular and nobody cares about Hockey nowadays.

• Like 2

Just finished watching Chak De! India. I really enjoyed it a lot, Shah Rukh Khan has yet to disappoint me :) I just have a couple of questions about the movie:1) is Chak de something Indians say often? Like a self encouragement motto or something. Koreans have a similar thing where they shout Fighting! to encourage themselves2) How big is Hockey in India? I get that women hockey seems pretty unpopular from what I saw from the film but the response to losing to pakistan at the beginning seemed pretty phenomenal. Maybe men's hockey is more popular?

Chak De is a punjabi thing which became pretty popular after the movie across India. Hockey is our national game, but Indians are fair weather fans for Hockey. Chak De is based on a true story - Mir Ranjan Negi was a goalkeeper who failed to stop goals against Pakistan and was ostracized, he then coached the women's team to a commonwealth games gold in a penalty shootout.
  • Like 2

I usually prefer watchin Hindi movies on tv rather than theatres.....But if I do ill watch oly Shah Rukh Khans movies

Chak De India is a awesome sports drama....have watched it more than 10 times......SRK perfromance was fab....rest of the cast too did a very good job.....while watching the climax shot and SRK getting back to his old house with mom....it made my eyes misty 

• Like 2

Thank for the replies. I forgot just how many languages there are in India among the different regions.

The fact that it's based on a true story only adds to the drama! It really shows that with the right spirit you can perform miracles.

Glad that the hockey coach finally got redemption in the end :)

• Like 1

Thank for the replies. I forgot just how many languages there are in India among the different regions.

The fact that it's based on a true story only adds to the drama! It really shows that with the right spirit you can perform miracles.

Glad that the hockey coach finally got redemption in the end :)

I think it was partly based on the real life account of "Mir Ranjan Negi". There is a striking similarity of the film and Negi's life but director claimed that it was merely co-incidental!

Edited by Cultist
  • Like 1

I think it was partly based on the real life account of "Mir Ranjan Negi". There is a striking similarity of the film and Negi's life but director claimed that it was merely co-incidental!

I don't think it was co-incidental. The director knew exactly what he was doing, Negi has a cameo in Chak De India. He plays one of the coaching staff when SRK steps up to take the penalty stroke. Why give him a cameo if you claim it is coincidental, he was also involved in the production itself.

I don't think it was co-incidental. The director knew exactly what he was doing, Negi has a cameo in Chak De India. He plays one of the coaching staff when SRK steps up to take the penalty stroke. Why give him a cameo if you claim it is coincidental, he was also involved in the production itself.

I didn't know that. But the director did claim it to be co-incidental.. Here is what I found on Wiki, 

"Both Kaushik and Negi did influence the development of the film after being approached by Sahini. Sahini first met with Kaushik and later recalled that, "M K Kaushik and his girls taught us all we knew about hockey. Then he recommended Negi to us, because when we finished writing and finished casting, we needed someone to train the girls. Negi assembled a team of hockey players to train the girls." 

​So that might be the reason of giving him the role or may be Negi doesn't want to make it public that its about his life.(partly)

Edited by Cultist

As I feared, very limited number of screens for Guardians. It would be lucky to open with even 1m now.

Actual opening turned out to be around $900k according to BOM. It will be at $1.5m after Thursday. So maybe $2m finish.

It really had potential to double that with a favorable release date.

• Like 2