Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

What are your predictions for Happy new Year?

Domestic

• First Day
  • Weekend
  • First Week and
  • Lifetime?

Overseas:

• Lifetime

I think a first day of 32 Crore and a first weekend of 100Cr is definitely possible, it is a solo Diwali release with an extended weekend helping it. This will definitely have one of the biggest first week tallies.

A 100 crore weekend is possible, but it will have a different breakdown. Saturday should be the lowest of three days, not the highest. And I certainly don't see a 40 crore 2nd weekend.

My prediction:

Fri 35

Sat 30

Sun 35

Mon 14

Tue 12

Wed 10

Thurs 9

Fri 8

Sat 10

Sun 12

175 crore 10-day.

Mon-Thurs 15

Fri-Sun 10

200 crore 17-day.

Around 215 crore finish. Pretty similar to Kick.

• Like 1

The first day is apparently looking huge in the matinees, evening business should also be good thanks to the families which will go to watch it in the evening. I wonder if it can break the largest single day record of Dhoom 3 which is around 38Cr. I will most likely be watching it tomorrow afternoon.

I watched Happy new Year today FDFS. Despite of being an SRK admirer, I found it silly as hell. I would rate it 2/5. He should really stop doing film with Farah!

Weirdly enough, 2/5 would still make it one of the better blockbusters this year. I will most likely be checking it out later today.

BOI saying on track for 37-38 Cr Friday. So that's a $9.3-9.6M Friday, it'd be cool if it comes in over 10M.

If BOI is saying 37-38Cr that means the other outlets will report 42. BOI has a 10% difference with most other outlets for some reason.

Watched HNY today, it is a very entertaining 2h 20min movie stuck in a 3 hour movie. Cut a bit of bloat and it would be a pretty good movie. I have to say Farah Khan was surprisingly restrained in the movie, especially after the character intros led me to believe this would be another Humshakals. The joke with Abhishek Bachchan vomiting is thankfully kept to one scene only, which was surprising because if this was Sajid Khan that would have been the running joke instead of Boman Irani's fits. The heist and dance sequences are the best but the emotional scenes don't land.

SRK is his usual self and thankfully doesn't sleepwalk through the role. Abhishek Bachchan comes off best in his madcap role, and Deepika Padukone has screen presence, so much of it, in fact the last actress with this much presence was probably Madhuri Dikshit before her marriage. 

Overall, families will definitely love the movie for sure. I think it is a 2.5 or a 3 depending on how you look at the bloated runtime.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

If BOI is saying 37-38Cr that means the other outlets will report 42. BOI has a 10% difference with most other outlets for some reason.

There are two systems of reporting numbers in India:

1. Trade figure - By adding up all the collections reported by various distributors, multiplex owners etc.

2. Producer figure - Reported directly by the producers and considered 'official' for reporting in international media etc. They are generally 5-10% higher.

The problem with producer figure is that they are not reported regularly. Only the first couple of weeks are reported and that too only for major films. For smaller films or films that flop, producers don't bother giving any number whatsoever.

An ever bigger problem is that there is no transparency. Producers can report any number they like, and there would be no way to verify it. Trade figures are however accessible to everyone and can be easily verified.

Producers claim that Trade figures are not able to count all the numbers and the money from some theaters from some remote parts of the country get missed, that's why their numbers are higher than Trade figures. This logic would make sense, as long as the difference is small. However, sometimes there are some absurd stituations like Krrish 3, when the difference was much higher.

Therefore, for the sake of consistency, comprehensiveness and reliability, I prefer trade figures.

• Like 1

So the tax rate is around 27.5%?

Tax rate varies from 30-35% depending on which areas are strong, as different states have different rates. But tax rates are applied on the nett value.

For example, if the tax rate is 30%, and the ticket is of Rs. 130, then nett gross would be Rs. 100.

100 + 100*30% = 130

You are doing like

130 - 130*30% = 91

which is incorrect.