Dementeleus

The Deer Hunter (1978)

The Deer Hunter (1978)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

a mess of editing and music ruins whatever good might have been found in here. but props to the first russian roulette scene.

D

What movies do you like?  I don't think I've seen you give any film a good mark.

The first 100 minutes or so and the ending are basically flawless. Most of the third hour I'm not so sure about - it certainly became less sharp and coherent, and could have used another 10 or 15 minutes to help put things into focus. But at its best I thought this was an epic on both a grand and a human scale, a film as tremendously passionate as it was technically grand; it had me glued to my seat for the entirety of its runtime. The three-way juxtaposition of the happiness of marriage, the devastation of war, and the ruined life afterwards may not be subtle, but it hits hard. (On a human scale, I honestly think that cut from the characters quietly sitting in the bar, one of them playing a beautiful melody, to the explosions and killings in Vietnam rivals the bone-to-spaceship cut in 2001 in its power, except the effect is directly opposite). The final scene got tears out of me. Will see it again for sure.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1