A Marvel Fanboy

Giallo Films

Funny, I don't see any Fulci films there.  I always thought he was Giallo as well.

Bava and Argento are probably the kings of Giallo films.  One that I happened to enjoy that is not those two is Torso.  It's pretty weird and all subtitled as well.  Check it out.

I actually had a little Giallo marathon a month ago, watching about a dozen movies. The ones I liked best were Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Aldo Lado's hugely underrated Short Night of Glass Dolls - which is great in the way it almost completely replaces cheap nudity and gore (nothing wrong with that, but there's enough of it in other gialli) with a terrific, suspenseful mystery story. Other ones I enjoyed, but not as much:

Deep Red (Argento; widely considered to be the best in the genre, but I personally found it overlong and not very thrilling, although it's got great production values)

Blood and Black Lace (Bava)

Lizard in a Woman's Skin (Fulci)

Black Belly of the Tarantula (Paolo Cavaro)

The Fifth Cord (Luigi Bazzoni)

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (Argento)

Don't Torture a Duckling (Fulci)

Torso (Sergio Martino)

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (Martino)

Only one I really disliked was Bava's A Bay of Blood, which felt like it was going on for an eternity - although the ending is brilliantly fucked up.

Finally I also watched 2009's Amer, which is a great little homage to the genre's spirit and sensibilities, even if doesn't really have killers with knives chasing sexy young women.

• Like 2

Not an original notion, but seriously, the best thing about gialli as a whole has to be their titles. After I've seen movies with names like The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Black Belly of the Tarantula and (best one) Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, I think I'm even more intolerant to incredibly bland titles they give to so many movies today. Come on, have some fucking imagination!

• Like 2

Torso was alright. Didn't really expect that

almost all supposed protagonists would get killed off 30 minutes before the end, and that the whole final act would be just that one girl hiding from the killer

. But it mostly worked, with a nice amount of tension. Can't say it was one of the more memorable gialli, though. Your Vice Is A Locked Room..., from the same director, is better IMO.

• Like 1

Nope. I'd read that the official giallo films are only those without a supernatural element, so I only watched those, with the exception of Suspiria (which I'd wanted to see for a long time and simply couldn't resist, especially right after watching three other Argento flicks). I'm definitely interested in watching some supernatural Italian horror movies, though... someday.

I just watched Argento's Suspiria (1977) for the first time. Man, the film is really superior in colours, music and atmosphere. To say it is a horror masterpiece is totally deserved.

I remember watched Black Belly Of The Tarantula and Red Queen Kills 7 Times in summer 2010. And now I am trying to catch up some other Giallo films, including most of Argento and Fulci's.

There is an American thriller called Communion (1976), which is very Giallo. It stars young Brooke Shields.

• Like 1

My rating for some Giallo films I have seen:

Suspiria (1977) ---- 9/10 ---- If you are a horror movie fan, you must see this one. It got amazing colors and atmosphere. One of the best horrors ever made.

Deep Red (1975) ---- 8.5/10 ---- another Dario Argento classic, great music and suspension.

The New York Ripper (1982) ---- 8/10 ---- One of lucio's best. good early 80s crime thriller. It's not Italian but it is Giallo.

Inferno (1980) ---- 8/10 ---- sequel to Suspiria, weak ending but it does have some beautiful shots.

Red Queen Kills 7 Times (1972) ----- 7.5/10 

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1971)  ----- 7.5/10

Black Belly Of The Tarantula (1971) ----- 7.5/10

Blood and Black Lace (1964) ----- 7/10

Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) ----- 7/10

The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974) ----- 7/10

Gatto a nove code (1971) ----- 6/10

Phenomena (1985) ----- 6/10

There are some others I want to see but they are pretty hard to find.

Edited by firedeep

More:

Torso (1973) ---- 7.5/10 ---- I can see this film had a lot effect on later 1980s American teen slasher movies. 40 years later today, the inner house scene is still worth watching.

Murder to the Tune of the Seven Black Notes (1977) ---- 7/10 ---- The great thing about this Lucio film is that it came out 25 years earlier than Minority Report (2002). Brilliant idea, elegant ending.

Murderock (1984) ---- 6/10 

Tenebre (1982) ---- 8/10 ----- Dario's critically polarized "sci-fi" effect. I liked this one very much. In some way it could be considered as the last Argento classic. 

House with the Windows That Laugh (1976) ---- 5/10

Still need to watch Dario's Sleepless (2001).

Lucio's Gates of Hell trilogy all worth watching if you are a fan of hardcore horror/zombie movies.

Btw De Palma's Body Double (1984) is also good.

• Like 1

I think Torso really did inspire Friday the 13th.

If you are a big fan of Friday the 13th, then you really need to see Bay of Blood (Reazione a catena, 1971) by masterful Italian director Mario Bava, a both slasher and giallo that came out 10 years before Friday the 13th. You may not find Bay of Blood any good, but you would be shocked if you compare it with Friday the 13th.

More Giallos that I have caught up:

Opera (1987) ----- 8/10 ----- ignore the logic, great lens work

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave (1971) ------ 8/10 ----- fantastic Giallo, beautiful women and shots, great cinematography

Death Walks on High Heels (1971) ------ 8/10 ----- fantastic Giallo, some beautiful shots, great cinematography

Eye of the Black Cat (1974) ---- 7/10 ----- one of Sergio Martino's best works, it's slow but the ending worth it.

Sleepless (2001) ---- 7/10

The Stendhal Syndrome (1996) ---- 7/10

Bay of Blood (1971) ------- 6/10 ------ Ignore the logic, the slasher part is top notch, and fantastic cinematography that distinguishes it from generic horrors.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963) -----6/10 ----- the first that started all Giallos

Footprints (1971) ------- 6/10 ------ this one is pretty hard to get but it seems to be good

Kill, Baby... Kill! (1963) ----- 6/10

The Case of the Bloody Iris (1972) ---- 6/10

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972) ---- 5/10

A Blade in the Dark (1983) ----- 4/10

I have seen almost all of Agento's pre-2000 works and literally liked all of them. Great director. Only one I still miss is Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971), which is hard for me to find.

And I still need to find Stage Fright (1987). 

Two great recommendation list I have found:

Giallo Films : Best to Worst

Best Giallo Movies List

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

If you are a big fan of Friday the 13th, then you really need to see Bay of Blood (Reazione a catena, 1971) by masterful Italian director Mario Bava, a both slasher and giallo that came out 10 years before Friday the 13th. You may not find Bay of Blood any good, but you would be shocked if you compare it with Friday the 13th.

Yep, I've seen Bay of Blood and I agree.  I also have the Bava 10 film collection.