Dementeleus

Weekend estimates-on PG 11. Cloudy 2@35M

80M budget without marketing. This is Sony's animated tentpole this year; I bet marketing costs is extremely high. I don't see how it gains much of a profit in theaters

Of course without marketing. 2x production budget for ballpark profitability, same as always. In this case that would be $160m-ish WW. I doubt marketing costs are extremely high compared to others -- you don't trim the production budget just to go nuts on marketing.

In any case, there are many many films which don't gain much profit theatrically and yet are very profitable for their studios. I know we always focus on theatrical numbers because they're easier to come by, but they're hardly the whole story.

Sony's "terrible" year has been over-emphasized, and this is just another example.

Cloudy will be opening in many places during local holidays and $35m is great OW for a quiet month, under $20m would have been a horrible opening, this is higher than summer openers like Turbo and Epic.

It couldn't top Insidious 2, a horror movie with relatively limited audience, or Hotel Transylvania, a completely original property, both of which released in September. This is bad for a highly anticipated animated sequel

It couldn't top Insidious 2, a horror movie with relatively limited audience, or Hotel Transylvania, a completely original property, both of which released in September. This is bad for a highly anticipated animated sequel

Highly anticipated by who? We on the forums don't count. ;)

• Like 3

Highly anticipated by who? We on the forums don't count. ;)

Well, let me put it this way. When I brought up to some friends on Thursday that I was seeing a movie on Friday with some other friends, and invited them to come, one of them asked what we were seeing. When I answered Cloudy 2, this one girl threw her book on the ground and was just "OMIGOD OMIGOD CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 AHHHH I WANT TO SEE IT CAN I COME WITH AHHHH"

It was actually rather terrifying.

• Like 1

Well, let me put it this way. When I brought up to some friends on Thursday that I was seeing a movie on Friday with some other friends, and invited them to come, one of them asked what we were seeing. When I answered Cloudy 2, this one girl threw her book on the ground and was just "OMIGOD OMIGOD CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 AHHHH I WANT TO SEE IT CAN I COME WITH AHHHH"

It was actually rather terrifying.

:rofl: That's hilarious. But we all know personal experience is a small sample size.

CLOUDY was a solid little hit that was appreciated by those who saw it... and it looks like CLOUDY 2 is basically more of the same. But it didn't inspire any sort of passion or huge appeal across all demos (or even its core demo). If anything, the people who like it most are hipster-y twentysomethings, not kids. That's hardly a recipe for a massive hit.

35 isnt a bad opening at all. I was skeptical that people kept saying Cloudy would break the record just because they were hoping for something exciting to happen in Sept. Remember that this is a sequel and the movie was 4 years ago. The highest i thought it would open would be 42 M. Hotel Transylvania opened with 42.5 million and that has Sandler/Selena Gomez involved. Cloudy should follow the same path except it has no competition from other family films until Nov. so it will have great legs. Easily 130M domestic gross at the minimum. Even Sony had lower expectations, they estimated 30-35M when everyone else was thinking 50M.....like really? It was not that highly anticipated. Cloudy is a modest hit that Sony needed; the box office for Captain Phillips, American Hustle, Monuments Men will end the year on a high for Sony. Since all of them will be Oscar players. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

This weekend's worldwide Box Office.

http://www.rentrak.com/section/movies_and_tv_everywhere/top_entertainment_rankings.html#1

I am surprised by the 2 Guns numbers. It has made just $17 million from 34 international territories. What's up with this number ? Percy Jackson has $183 million WW while Elysium is at $264 million WW so both of these movies have done alright overall.