Plain Old Tele

Weekend estimates-on PG 11. Cloudy 2@35M

I doubt they spent 25 m to market Don Jon.Not every wide release has a 20+ m marketing budget.The studio knew it wasn't going to open big which is why they paid only 4 m for it and dumped it in October.

Average primetime 30 second TV ads cost around $115k. Let us say they ran ONLY 400 ads in total for an average cost of $25k each. That's $10 million right there. Add the cost of US/Canada internet, radio and print advertising. Add the distribution costs for a 2400 theater release and $20-25 million is the absolute minimum cost of P&A these days. There is a very solid economic reason why studios prefer big budget movies as ten $20 million small budget movies may cost you $250-300 million in P&A whereas you can market one $200 million movie for $100-125 million.

• Like 1

I think the fact that Don Jon got a wide release is the victory. It's performing similarly to 50/50 from two years ago which also had less than enormous appeal (comedy about cancer, comedy about sex addiction) to the masses.

Well, Relativity bought the film in Sundance for $10 million and put up $25 million P&A commitment so they surely expected more from the movie since they own only the domestic rights. 

Posted Image

This image alone easily erased any disturbances Eddie Murphy left me with his horrendous Metro... :)

I liked The Fifth Element in spite of Jovovich's horrendous acting. Her character was supposedly the "perfect human" but she was just perfectly annoying. Chris Tucker made up for her, though. :shades:

Rush is terrific. Don Jon is pretty fun/extremely short reviews

I knew you would like Rush :D Daniel Bruhl was terrific, and Hems was great too. The movie was a great ride for me, thrilling and exciting.
  • Like 1

Well not surprised at all by DJ or Baggage. (as I already said-DJ was a tough sell and although it starred someone women love, it was not something they would see)

Cloudy 2 should have some nice legs considering there are no family films until Free Birds!

Edited by Impact

I knew you would like Rush :D Daniel Bruhl was terrific, and Hems was great too. The movie was a great ride for me, thrilling and exciting.

Yep. I especially liked the fact that it doesn't really try to glorify either driver at the expense of the other. It just presents them both as flawed humans, and you end up rooting for both

• Like 1

Rewatched "Source Code" on TMC, That ending is one of the "This changes everything" endings. Would have loved to see a follow up. Like many others, the first time I watched it, I expected it to end at that freeze frame in the train, that seemed like the place the movie would end and make perfect sense. Then the last 5 minutes happen and the implications of those 5 minutes are just too many, would definitely want to see more of that explored.

Rewatched "Source Code" on TMC, That ending is one of the "This changes everything" endings. Would have loved to see a follow up. Like many others, the first time I watched it, I expected it to end at that freeze frame in the train, that seemed like the place the movie would end and make perfect sense. Then the last 5 minutes happen and the implications of those 5 minutes are just too many, would definitely want to see more of that explored.

The movie should have ended at the freeze frame but my guess is that the producers or distributors wanted a "happy" ending. IMO, the ending really messed up the movie.

Edited by TLK

Fuck this weekend. Cloudy 2 increased over the first, but we were expecting the record to go down. I will say it again: Sandler matters when it comes to family stuff.

Edited by CJohn

1. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 3D (Sony) NEW [Runs 4,001] PGFriday $9.2M, Saturday $15.0M, Weekend $35.0M

2. Rush (Imagine/Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,297] RFriday $3.6M, Saturday $4.3M, Weekend $10.6M, Cume $11.0M

3. Prisoners (Alcon/Warner Bros) Week 2 [Runs 3,290] RFriday $3.3M, Saturday $4.8M, Weekend $10.5M (-45%), Cume $38.5M

4. Baggage Claim (Fox Searchlight) NEW [Runs 2,027] PG13Friday $3.2M, Saturday $3.9M, Weekend $9.7M

5. Don Jon (Relativity) NEW [Runs 2,422] RFriday $3.2M, Saturday $3.8M, Weekend $8.9M6. Insidious: Chapter 2 (FilmDistrict) Week 3 [Runs 3,120] PG13Friday $2.0M, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $6.6M, Cume $66.8M

7. The Family (Relativity) Week 3 [Runs 2,894] RFriday $1.0M, Saturday $1.7M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $31.6M

8. Instructions Not Included (Lionsgate) Week 5 [Runs 948] PG13Friday $777K, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $38.7M

9. We’re The Millers (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 8 [Runs 2,405] RFriday $834K, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $2.9M, Cume $142.5M

10. Lee Daniels’ The Butler (Weinstein) Week 7 [Runs 2,062] RFriday $693K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $110.4M

Metallica Through The Never 3D (PIcturehouse) NEW [Runs 308] RFriday $734K, Saturday $535K, Weekend $1.6M

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/friday-box-office-cloudy-with-meatballs-2-beefs-up-for-12m-and-44m-weekend-rush-expands-for-4m-and-12m-baggage-claim-and-don-jon-3m9m/#more-598507

• Like 2