lilmac

Star Wars Episode 8 vs Avatar sequel?

With Avatar 3 scheduled for December 2017 and 2018 respectively and the Star Wars episodes being filmed over a six year period, there is a chance Episode VIII could go head to head with one of the Avatar sequels.  If Disney maintains the every 3 years (2015,2018,2021) model and makes December a new tradition for releases (and for consistencies sake), we have a potential showdown of mega proportions. It's unlikely two films of this size and scale will be able to share the same month. The first Avatar opened on December 18, 2009 and its sequels will likely follow that precedent. 

One solution will be to move Episode VIII to May 2018 but that put it face to face with Avengers 3 and would disrupt the new pattern of December releases they are presumably trying to establish.  Disney would be foolish to cannibalize itself that way (also, who knows when the inbetween standalones would be released) but I think that's the most likely option.

Given Cameron's personality, I can see him playing chicken with Disney (and JC winning) over that December 2017 showdown. It's going to get interesting folks.

Release schedule
Star Wars: (2015 - 2021)
Episode 7 - Dec 2015
Episode 8 - Dec 2018?
Episode 9 - Dec 2021?

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

LOL. They are not releasing both films the same month

Officially they are set for a collision date, as laughable as it seems.

Episode 8 is more likely for May 2018 than December 2017. 2.5 years is a nice enough cushion.

A couple of problems here, and I touched on this in the OP.  1) May 2018 means dealing with Avenger 3's 4th weekend.  2) you've now instituted a haphazard release date schedule that's not nice and orderly like the OT/PT's May releases.  I don't think LFL wants to do that.

Officially they are set for a collision date, as laughable as it seems.

A couple of problems here, and I touched on this in the OP.  1) May 2018 means dealing with Avenger 3's 4th weekend.  2) you've now instituted a haphazard release date schedule that's not nice and orderly like the OT/PT's May releases.  I don't think LFL wants to do that.

Where was this said? All we know VII is for December 2015 and have no idea for VIII+ We do know Avatar 2-4 will be for December. TA3 could be 2017. Also VIII might be for 2017 so TA3 can be for 2018. As of now no real evidence that both will hit the same year.

Where was this said? All we know VII is for December 2015 and have no idea for VIII+ We do know Avatar 2-4 will be for December. TA3 could be 2017. Also VIII might be for 2017 so TA3 can be for 2018. As of now no real evidence that both will hit the same year.

Read the links in the OP.  At Cinemacon, Disney officially announced Episode VIII for 2017 (it did not say which month).  The Episode movies would be every other year, starting in 2015, with the standalones happening in the inbetween years.  That's official, from the horse's mouth.  

I am surmising that because Episode VII is now December 2015 that Episode VIII will be December 2017.  There is of course the chance of pushing Episode VIII to 2018 but that runs it up against TA3.  If its every 3 years for the Episode movies, say December 2018, you still run the problem of going up against an Avatar sequel.

Edited by lilmac

Star Wars 8 will come out either May 2018 or they could release it in November 2017 which I doubt. 

I think it will come out towards the end of May 2018, even with TA3 opening at the start of May. It's clear now that's where they were going to put SW7 regardless of TA2 since they moved Tomorrowland to that date instead. 

I don't think they are trying to establish a December release pattern by the way. They just want the movie to come out as soon as possible to boost the merchandise sales and get the money rolling asap. 

Edited by Magic

Neo was right.  OP has been updated.  My bad.  Iger said the Episodes would come out over a six year period (2015-2021).  It's more likely December 2018 then December 2017 for Episode VIII, meaning Avatar 4 (not 3) is at issue.  

Yeah Iger said the reason they put SW7 in December is because of the issue with changing up the script. Otherwise they were going to push for Memorial Day as planned.

Good point.  Do you have the link where Iger said they were aiming for Memorial Day 2015?  I think we can safely presume that was the goal by the way Disney immediately inserted Tomorrowland in that slot.  Memorial Day 2018 would pit Episode VIII against TA3's 3rd/4th weekend.  Still problematic but as I mentioned in the previous sentence...they were going to do that anyway with Episode VII/TA2.  It would suck to have haphazard non-patterned Star Wars releases.  December here, May there...  The franchise deserves better.  Tell that to James Cameron, however, I doubt he'll move Avatar 4 (I'm assuming no delays for his movies).  Why should he?  They claimed December 2018 first.   I think you may be right about May 2018.

Edited by lilmac

Read the links in the OP.  At Cinemacon, Disney officially announced Episode VIII for 2017 (it did not say which month).  The Episode movies would be every other year, starting in 2015, with the standalones happening in the inbetween years.  That's official, from the horse's mouth.  

I am surmising that because Episode VII is now December 2015 that Episode VIII will be December 2017.  There is of course the chance of pushing Episode VIII to 2018 but that runs it up against TA3.  If its every 3 years for the Episode movies, say December 2018, you still run the problem of going up against an Avatar sequel.

Iger said the 6 year plan and 2 months later it was said every other year, what gives?

Edited by Neo

Neo was right.  OP has been updated.  My bad.  Iger said the Episodes would come out over a six year period (2015-2021).  It's more likely December 2018 then December 2017 for Episode VIII, meaning Avatar 4 (not 3) is at issue.  

Good point.  Do you have the link where Iger said they were aiming for Memorial Day 2015?  I think we can safely presume that was the goal by the way Disney immediately inserted Tomorrowland in that slot.  Memorial Day 2018 would pit Episode VIII against TA3's 3rd/4th weekend.  Still problematic but as I mentioned in the previous sentence...they were going to do that anyway with Episode VII/TA2.  It would suck to have haphazard non-patterned Star Wars releases.  December here, May there...  The franchise deserves better.  Tell that to James Cameron, however, I doubt he'll move Avatar 4 (I'm assuming no delays for his movies).  Why should he?  They claimed December 2018 first.   I think you may be right about May 2018.

Disney will run from Avatar sequels as slong as James is so intimately involved with them and the director.

But if they dont I love the battle that will ensue.. Nothing will stop Avatar sequels ..Nothing my friends :)

It's like a black hole meeting a black hole. Nobody knows what happens? I cannot imagine a scenario other than Episode VIII coming out May 2017 that this ends well. Why does it matter? Well, if a movie fails to make a profit or enough of a profit then studios will dial back to CYA. This could effect how Episode IX is made as well as standalone films (and whether there will be an Episode X-XII).

Star Wars 8 vs. Avengers 3 vs. Avatar 3

A legendary year that would be

Amen Killimano.... Wow would be a challenge for bothe Cameron and Whedon to keep the films fresh as can be for 3 parts.

More of a challenge for Whedon than Cameron I think. tho...

Woww 3 films whose total  coul alll add up to 8+ billion in WW BO receipts. (A3 could be the 4-5billion dollar winner)