CaptainJackSparrow

Relationships

What did you think of the Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione relationships in the series?

:sick: Can't say I'm a fan, even though there were clues left for both pairings all along, I was hoping they were just red herrings. Ron and Hermione having their first kiss when they did made zero sense. Harry only liking Ginny once he saw what a hot kisser she was with other guys, real great message there. :rolleyes:

I felt like Harry should have been put with a girl who brought out interesting aspects of his character rather than the one who would make him an "official" part of the Weasley family. In real life, sure, people love who they love, but in a fictional story there aren't those same constraints and you can do something more dynamic and meaningful.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

NOW she says it...

After years of squabbling, Harry Potter's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Grainger finally became an item -- but now their creator JK Rowling has admitted she made a mistake by marrying them off.

Hermione -- whose quick wits get the teen wizards out of many a scrape in Rowling's hit novels -- would have been better off with hero Harry, the British author said in comments published by the Sunday Times newspaper.

In fact, Ron and Hermione would likely have ended up in marriage counselling, Rowling suggested.

"For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron," Rowling says in an interview with Wonderland magazine, previewed by the Sunday Times and due out next Friday.

"I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility.

"Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."

The movie people have to be furious, they would've loved having Dan and Emma's chemistry to work with as opposed to trying to get another facial expression out of Bonnie Wright...

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

The big question: Why did any of them have to marry each other in the first place?

They didn't have to, but it makes sense from a storytelling perspective. She wanted to end the story with Harry having the family he'd never had growing up, so someone needed to be the mother to little James and Lily and Albus Severus. Readers tend to be more invested in characters they spend more time with, which is why Ron/Hermione was always a more popular ship than Harry/Ginny. Rowling always said she wanted to deal with romance in a story with characters growing up because it's a natural part of life and she disliked how earlier children's books treated it like a bad thing. But IMO considering the skill she showed at writing romance perhaps leaving them all friends would've been a wiser move.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

i hate when writers retract on their own creative decisions 

this is the way it organically happened leave them alone 

i love harry with ginny and ron and hermione and fact they're all one big happy wizard family 

ron and hermione mesh ok , she's bossy he's more easy going 

i'm sorry but i don't get harry hermione pairing , makes no sense to me !

they were best friends and that's that ...now that the novels are out of her hand and "property" of readers she wants to retcon 

go write another book and leave fans alone pfff its canon get over it !

trolling indeed!!!

In books, i'm okay with it. These pairings are not bad at all. In movies, they really done goofed with Ginny's actress choice.

They picked her when she was nine or ten or something and Ginny was just a shy, quiet girl and she played that role well enough. She couldn't pull off the Ginny of the last two books, but Book Ginny was massively annoying to me so I'm glad HBP and DH presented her differently on film. Ginny's really not important to the story; yes, Harry ends up with her, but she doesn't do anything in the battle with Voldemort ultimately. They even cut down her role in Chamber of Secrets, the one time where she's really pivotal to the plot.