45 members have voted

1. 1. The Prestige

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's a film that gets better on repeat viewings. The first time I saw it, I had some issues with pacing and structure. The second time, you could see what Nolan was setting up (very carefully).

This.

My first time was 7 years ago, when I was younger and I thought "what a boring mess". I now realize how wrong I was after watching a second time. It is a tense non-stop ride, full of clever twists, beautifully shot and the ending that gave me multiple goosebumps A+ (100)

Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 1

This is a one trick pony. Completely disappointing. Poorly paced and boring. I was shocked that a movie with Jackman, Bale and Caine could be this lifeless.

The Illusionist was way better and less pretentious.. 

D

This is my favorite Nolan movie and I've watched it many many times over the years. At this point everytime I come back to it, I watch for every little wonderful placed detail, like the two distinct performances of Christian Bale, how they manage to hide the twist by putting it in front of us the whole time, how the narrative comes together to create a tragedy and so many more. I'll never get tired of it. 

Also the constant narrative tricks ands twists with unreliable narrators, the magician=filmmaker subtext, 2 dead wives and serious Bale x2 make it the nolaniest thing that ever nolaned. That's why it's the best.

• Like 1

Rewatched it again and shit I can't quite choose between this or Memento for Nolan's best. 

I think it is an excellent movie in every possible way. I have a thing for magic in general, so I guess it was my type of movie from the beginning but the way Nolan managed to pull this off just grabbed me by the throat completely. How masterfully he managed to play with time in this one is the real stand out for me. Just flawless execution. It  has just the right amount of confusion. It is a complex story and sure you need to be there the whole time, but I didn't feel like I lost something important at any point and it was also exciting from start to finish. It didn't drag, neither got me bored at any poiny. The characters are also both very intresting and the actors do a top-notch job, both of them.I guess the only minus can find is the sci-fi part which feels a tad unbelievable tr me but well I can really ignore it. 

A

Edited by FantasticBeasts