grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

I guess this needs to be done. Please be gentle.

Number 4:

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Posted Image

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Guillermo Del Toro was basically given over 150 million dollars to live out every kid’s fantasy i.e. to make a movie about Giant Robots (Jaegers) fighting Giant Monsters (Kaiju), and did he ever do one hell of a job. Pacific Rim delivered everything you would expect from a movie like this. It was a true triumph of visual effects when the Jaegers look like they are actually sharing the screen with the actors and you never question that fact. The Hong Kong fight may have been the best action scene of the year, and the character designs were really inspired. “Cancelling the Apocalypse” became an internet meme, and Mako Mori became an internet sensation but for whatever reason, the movie could not branch out and make a splash beyond the internet – it did well at the box office, just not as well as expectations.

Box office performance aside, this was a really fun time at the movies, and in the end isn’t that why we go watch the movies?

Box Office: 101M Domestic / 411M WW

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

I saw it.  WOW!  I have never seen anything like that on the screen before.  I recommend this movie whole-heatedly.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it, from a story and character perspective, the best film I have seen this summer?  Probably not. Does any of that matter?  NO!

The fact that this thing isn't doing 100 million dollars this weekend is both a mystery to me and a tragic accident to film making as a whole.

Give this thing a sequel, Legendary.  Give it a sequel and then team it up with Godzilla for the third.

A

Blankments

I had one disappointment with this movie: No day-time battles. That said, HOLY CRAP. The action, as I expected, was phenomenal; I love that I was finally able to see mech vs. monster battles in live-action. The film had a great sense of fun (loved all the comic relief characters, which is rare for me), and it truly transported you to another world. It actually reminded me a lot of Avatar. Serviceable story with an average lead, but it absorbed you into a world that was just astounding. I feel like I should give it higher (and probably will go higher with a rewatch) but I give it an A.

StarSaber

EPIC! I need to go back and view it again minus the 3D because I feel it impeded my opinion a tad. But the fights were great and in many cases intense. I loved the seen with Mako as a child running for the Kaiju, very powerful IMO. The massive scale of the movie (action) is what I keep thinking back on a definitely why I loved it.

I loved Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, good use of comic relief that didn't bog down the movie.

Acting was fine, nothing noteworthy, but I definitely feel it didn't pop out to me as bad.

The characters themselves could have been better, I actually like the 3 main ones but they were too predictable in their actions. It doesn't bother me too much but it seemed significant enough to mention.

The visuals, monster/robot designs, and overall sense of style and cinematography were phenomenal.

The ending scene was too short though, when they pop up out of the water I feel that scene should have been extended or another should have been added.

A-/A

:wub:

• Like 5

Number 4:

Posted Image

Guillermo Del Toro was basically given over 150 million dollars to live out every kid’s fantasy i.e. to make a movie about Giant Robots (Jaegers) fighting Giant Monsters (Kaiju), and did he ever do one hell of a job. Pacific Rim delivered everything you would expect from a movie like this. It was a true triumph of visual effects when the Jaegers look like they are actually sharing the screen with the actors and you never question that fact. The Hong Kong fight may have been the best action scene of the year, and the character designs were really inspired. “Cancelling the Apocalypse” became an internet meme, and Mako Mori became an internet sensation but for whatever reason, the movie could not branch out and make a splash beyond the internet – it did well at the box office, just not as well as expectations.

Box office performance aside, this was a really fun time at the movies, and in the end isn’t that why we go watch the movies?

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

I saw it.  WOW!  I have never seen anything like that on the screen before.  I recommend this movie whole-heatedly.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it, from a story and character perspective, the best film I have seen this summer?  Probably not. Does any of that matter?  NO!

The fact that this thing isn't doing 100 million dollars this weekend is both a mystery to me and a tragic accident to film making as a whole.

Give this thing a sequel, Legendary.  Give it a sequel and then team it up with Godzilla for the third.

A

Blankments

I had one disappointment with this movie: No day-time battles. That said, HOLY CRAP. The action, as I expected, was phenomenal; I love that I was finally able to see mech vs. monster battles in live-action. The film had a great sense of fun (loved all the comic relief characters, which is rare for me), and it truly transported you to another world. It actually reminded me a lot of Avatar. Serviceable story with an average lead, but it absorbed you into a world that was just astounding. I feel like I should give it higher (and probably will go higher with a rewatch) but I give it an A.

StarSaber

EPIC! I need to go back and view it again minus the 3D because I feel it impeded my opinion a tad. But the fights were great and in many cases intense. I loved the seen with Mako as a child running for the Kaiju, very powerful IMO. The massive scale of the movie (action) is what I keep thinking back on a definitely why I loved it.

I loved Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, good use of comic relief that didn't bog down the movie.

Acting was fine, nothing noteworthy, but I definitely feel it didn't pop out to me as bad.

The characters themselves could have been better, I actually like the 3 main ones but they were too predictable in their actions. It doesn't bother me too much but it seemed significant enough to mention.

The visuals, monster/robot designs, and overall sense of style and cinematography were phenomenal.

The ending scene was too short though, when they pop up out of the water I feel that scene should have been extended or another should have been added.

A-/A

It's pretty good, but doesn't deserve to be in the top 20.

At least it placed higher than Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel...

Number 4:

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

A

Blankments

StarSaber

A-/A

what, that wasn't that surprising at all. Especially considering who made the film

Number 4:

Posted Image

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

A

Blankments

StarSaber

A-/A

:rofl:

BOF you are dead to me. Tele, I resign my Mod position. Fuck this place.

Posted Image

• Like 6

A boring movie, stupid as fuck (neural bridge to control a robot? wut? lol), with actors who have the charisma of a tree, and some cool CGI battles. TF 1 and 3 are far superior, but get trashed because Bay made them. This was made by del Toro, and it is immediately awesome because of that. So stupid.

Best moment of the movie is "OH big monster Cat 7 or whatevs coming". The monster arrives and gets defeated in 30 seconds.

• Like 2