grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

And.. I am back. What hath my absence wrought???. Anyway, moving ahead with

Number 6:

#6: 12 YEARS A SLAVE

Posted Image

Haven’t seen it, can’t comment on it. But the movie seems to have a generally good response with a lot of commenters saying that it portrays slavery in an unflinching manner.

Box Office: 41.5M Domestic / 65M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Acsc1312

I really really really wish I hadn't chosen to watch this on a day I was falling asleep :( I missed some moments because I dozed off (not because of the movie, but because of exhaustion). I'm gonna watch it again to get the full effect, but it was great. Fantastic cast. Pretty much anyone that's white is so despicable and every one of them played it so well. Fassbender is definitely a greatest of all time at this point. Hauntingly infuriating. Paulson does some great work, as always, and of course Ejiofor. Top 5 this year for sure, but I missed some of the beginning, so I can't place it just yet.

A

Biffman

This along with Schindler's List should be required viewing for all of humanity.  Preferably around middle school.  Perhaps we might suck less as a species if everyone had a glimpse of just how horrible we're capable of being.

A+

Chd

Well, I had to watch this movie in two sittings so maybe the parts where I felt kinda disconnected were because of that. I noticed that this is one of the few movies that aren't really remarkable throughout, but when they end you start noticing what it did to you. While the 'Time' copy composed by Zimmer was okay, I still say the songs (the ones with vocals) are pretty good and I think he deserves to be nominated at least.

Everything else was great, and I've got to say that the thing that moved me most throughout the movie was Pitt's character doing what he did, even though he had no proof whatsoever that Solomon was speaking the truth. That's the scene that moved me the most and probably will stay with me. I chose to forget the brutal scenes simply because they are too brutal.

Still, I can say that the script is good, but it failed to write what viewers need: connection with the main character. Despite that, a great movie. Not the best of the year, but a good one nonetheless.

A

I wish it were higher, but it's still great.

I understand why some people don't like This is the End, but I (and many people) found it gutbustingly hilarious.

It had like three or four scenes throughout the movie that were hilarious. The other ones were just above chuckle funny.

• Like 1

Number 5:

#5: THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

<ahttp://i.imgur.com/zKnFIl7.png' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

This is an awesome awesome movie. DiCaprio is awesome in this, Scorcese is on top form, everything just clicks. Why hear how good the movie is from me – let the actors tell you in their own way

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83795632/

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/83795632

Box Office: 95M Domestic / 170M WW

aDIM

This was phenomenal. Three hours of break-necked pace, outrageous, raunchy dramatic comedy. Granted the themes here are not new (addiction, greed) but it's all about the execution. I know it's Scorsese, but come on, this was directed by a 71 YEAR OLD. Considering the content and style of this movie, that fact just gob-smacks me. All the performances were great but Leo is out of this world. I said it in Friday numbers thread, but it deserves to be said again, this is a guy that 100% transforms into his characters every damn time. He makes you forget that he's Leonardo DiCaprio, and even though that's his job as an actor, it's a major, major accomplishment.

A

Jay Hollywood

I really don't even have words for this movie. Its fucking awesome. Any film that says fuck over 500 times has to be an A movie right?I was straight up rolling in my chair laughing. Most fun I've had at the theaters all year. Top 3 movie of the year. I can't quite deiced yet but its between Wolf, Slave, and Before Midnight.

I will say this, I need to do more drugs.

A (95)

Gopher

Okay, I've seen this three times now. That wasn't exactly in my control. What is in my control is when I say this is the best film of the year. Hands down. What a movie. Got more enjoyable and more meaningful each time.

• Like 9

Number 5:

This is an awesome awesome movie. DiCaprio is awesome in this, Scorcese is on top form, everything just clicks. Why hear how good the movie is from me – let the actors tell you in their own way

aDIM

This was phenomenal. Three hours of break-necked pace, outrageous, raunchy dramatic comedy. Granted the themes here are not new (addiction, greed) but it's all about the execution. I know it's Scorsese, but come on, this was directed by a 71 YEAR OLD. Considering the content and style of this movie, that fact just gob-smacks me. All the performances were great but Leo is out of this world. I said it in Friday numbers thread, but it deserves to be said again, this is a guy that 100% transforms into his characters every damn time. He makes you forget that he's Leonardo DiCaprio, and even though that's his job as an actor, it's a major, major accomplishment.

A

Jay Hollywood

I really don't even have words for this movie. Its fucking awesome. Any film that says fuck over 500 times has to be an A movie right?I was straight up rolling in my chair laughing. Most fun I've had at the theaters all year. Top 3 movie of the year. I can't quite deiced yet but its between Wolf, Slave, and Before Midnight.

A (95)

Gopher

Okay, I've seen this three times now. That wasn't exactly in my control. What is in my control is when I say this is the best film of the year. Hands down. What a movie. Got more enjoyable and more meaningful each time.

Props to this one, I had it placed at number 5 pre-Her, but I don't know if Her or Fruitvale are making, and Inside Llewyn Davis and 12 Years a Slave were behind this so I would have preferred it to be higher.

Edited by The Panda

Number 5:

aDIM

A

Jay Hollywood

A (95)

Gopher

Deserved first place, IMO.

• Like 1

Now, before I reveal Number 4, and a lot of people jump to saying that the list is completely invalidated because there is no way that this movie should be this high on a year end top movies list, please remember the following:

- Points were skewed towards the top 3 positions in each list

- Some movies have a passionate following and will make a top movies consensus list if a decent minority put them in their top or second spot

- Movies are meant to entertain

In fact, the same may be said for number 3 as well. But, at least Number 3 will have it's staunch defenders and won't need me to put any disclaimers before it is revealed.

Edited by grim22

Now, before I reveal Number 4, and a lot of people jump to saying that the list is completely invalidated because there is no way that this movie should be this high on a year end top movies list, please remember the following:

- Some movies have a passionate following and will make a top movies consensus list if a decent minority put them in their top or second spot

Oh god what have we done?Pacific Rim??? 

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

So Man of Steel wasn't the controversial pick??

It's probably Catching Fire then....

Catching Fire wouldn't be that surprising, to be honest. Now, Pacific Rim would be.

But seeing that Catching Fire hasn't been mentioned yet, it seems highly likely.

Catching Fire wouldn't be that surprising, to be honest. Now, Pacific Rim would be.

But seeing that Catching Fire hasn't been mentioned yet, it seems highly likely.

Oh please let it Pacific Rim. I would love that so much.

• Like 2

I guess this needs to be done. Please be gentle.

Number 4:

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Posted Image

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Guillermo Del Toro was basically given over 150 million dollars to live out every kid’s fantasy i.e. to make a movie about Giant Robots (Jaegers) fighting Giant Monsters (Kaiju), and did he ever do one hell of a job. Pacific Rim delivered everything you would expect from a movie like this. It was a true triumph of visual effects when the Jaegers look like they are actually sharing the screen with the actors and you never question that fact. The Hong Kong fight may have been the best action scene of the year, and the character designs were really inspired. “Cancelling the Apocalypse” became an internet meme, and Mako Mori became an internet sensation but for whatever reason, the movie could not branch out and make a splash beyond the internet – it did well at the box office, just not as well as expectations.

Box office performance aside, this was a really fun time at the movies, and in the end isn’t that why we go watch the movies?

Box Office: 101M Domestic / 411M WW

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

I saw it.  WOW!  I have never seen anything like that on the screen before.  I recommend this movie whole-heatedly.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it, from a story and character perspective, the best film I have seen this summer?  Probably not. Does any of that matter?  NO!

The fact that this thing isn't doing 100 million dollars this weekend is both a mystery to me and a tragic accident to film making as a whole.

Give this thing a sequel, Legendary.  Give it a sequel and then team it up with Godzilla for the third.

A

Blankments

I had one disappointment with this movie: No day-time battles. That said, HOLY CRAP. The action, as I expected, was phenomenal; I love that I was finally able to see mech vs. monster battles in live-action. The film had a great sense of fun (loved all the comic relief characters, which is rare for me), and it truly transported you to another world. It actually reminded me a lot of Avatar. Serviceable story with an average lead, but it absorbed you into a world that was just astounding. I feel like I should give it higher (and probably will go higher with a rewatch) but I give it an A.

StarSaber

EPIC! I need to go back and view it again minus the 3D because I feel it impeded my opinion a tad. But the fights were great and in many cases intense. I loved the seen with Mako as a child running for the Kaiju, very powerful IMO. The massive scale of the movie (action) is what I keep thinking back on a definitely why I loved it.

I loved Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, good use of comic relief that didn't bog down the movie.

Acting was fine, nothing noteworthy, but I definitely feel it didn't pop out to me as bad.

The characters themselves could have been better, I actually like the 3 main ones but they were too predictable in their actions. It doesn't bother me too much but it seemed significant enough to mention.

The visuals, monster/robot designs, and overall sense of style and cinematography were phenomenal.

The ending scene was too short though, when they pop up out of the water I feel that scene should have been extended or another should have been added.

A-/A

• Like 9