luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

Part II

Directors that should have made the list (broken up into parts so that they're not too long)

10) Otto Preminger (Anatomy of a Murder, Laura, The Man with the Golden Arm)

I wonderful director who is known for controversial films of the time. Laura was a great example of film noir. Afterwards, Preminger tackled drug abuse with The Man with the Golden arm. Then, he tackled race with Anatomy of a Murder. He had 3 nominations as best director, 2 for the aforementioned Anatomy of a Murder and Laura, and 1 for The Cardinal.

Preminger's flaw is that he never won an academy award for best director. While that shouldn't diminish a career with so many excellent films, it may make some reluctant to vote for him when compared to some of his peers. He should have made the list.

11) Leo McCarey (An Affair to Remember, Going My Way, The Bells of St. Mary's)

Leo McCarey excelled at making movies with sentiment. Going My Way was a success in the 40s. What followed was a sequel to Going My Way which became one of the most successful movies of the 1940s called The Bells of St. Mary's. McCarey als had great comedy chops with directing the famous Marx Brothers film Duck Soup. McCarey is a 2 time winner of the Oscar for Best Director for Going My Way and The Awful Truth.

McCarey really has no flaws. The only reason for him to not make the list is if you found Going My Way and The Bells of St Mary's to be overly sentimental and if the rest of his output didn't appeal to you. He should have made the list.

12) Arthur Penn (Bonnie and Clyde, Alice's Restaurant, The Miracle Worker)

Arthur Penn has made some truly memorable films. The Miracle Worker, which is the story of Anne Sullivan teaching Hellen Keller. He went on to direct The Chase and Bonnie and Clyde, which were both thrillers. Penn made the famous western Little Big Man.

Penn's flaw is that he only made a few great films and a lot of very good films. However, if you felt that his work was more great than good, then he should have made the list.

13) Ben Stiller (The Cable Guy, Reality Bites, Zoolander)

Ben Stiller directed the excellent dark comedy The Cable Guy. He also directed the over the top comedy Zoolander. He has shown to be an excellent director with films like Reality Bites and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

The flaw with Ben Stiller is that his body of work is small. That didn't hurt some of the other directors on this list, so it could have been over-looked in Stiller's case. However, other than The Cable Guy, he doesn't really have any other truly great films. Despite that, he has shown a solid body of work and should have made this list.

14) John Landis ( Animal House, Trading Places, Coming to America)

One of the excellent directors of comedy. John Landis did the monumentally influential Animal House. Many movies about college campus life have taken ideas from Animal House. It pretty much invented the frat house comedy. Then, Landis made The Blue Brothers. He made some other great comedies like Trading Places, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, and Coming to America. Then, he successfully directed Sylvester Stallone in a comedy called Oscar.

There is no real flaw to Landis. He has been responsible for some great comedic movies and was the director for the ground breaking Animal House. The only possible flaw would that either you don't have a sense of humor (and you do because you put Mel Gibson on this list) or Landis put you on double secret probation. However, John Landis deserves to be on a list of the 100 greatest directors of all-time.

15) John G. Avildsen (Rocky, The Karate Kid, Lean on Me)

It is very hard to leave this guy off the list. He directed Rocky. Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all-time. He won the Oscar for best director for Rocky. Rocky alone should out him on this list, but he did more. He directed all 3 Karate Kid movies. No matter which one you think is great (and opinions differ, but most people feel atleast 1 of the 3 is great), that's another great movie that he directed. He also directed Lean On Me. If you have never heard Lean On Me it stars Morgan Freeman (better known to you as the actor in Nolan's Batman Trilogy) in a wonderful performance.

John G. Avildsen's flaw is that he didn't direct a lot of movies. However, he directed 3 great movies by a lot of people's standards. 3 great movies is much better than a bunch of average to good movies. The best director of all-time should direct great movies, not just okay movies. John G. Avildsen has 3 all-time great movies, with one of them being the historic Rocky film. John G. Avildsen sould have made this list.

16) David Zucker (Airplane, The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad, Baseketball)

David Zucker excelled in comedies. He had a huge hit the popular movie Airplane. He was also the director of all 3 Naked Gun movies. He directed Baseketball and My Boss's Daughter. He was also the director of Scary Movie 3 and Scary Movie 4.

Zucker's flaw is his small body of work. Also, if you aren't a big fan of the Naked Gun films and Airplane, then the rest of his films are just good. However, if you believe that Airplane was great and that The Naked Gun movies were great, then David Zucker should make the list.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

He was more than the first to direct a computer animated film. That is an over-simplification of what he did. His Luxo Jr. short showed that computer animation was possible. His Toy Story movie revolutionized a genre. He was a director that revolutionized an industry.

Except it wasn't the style of his direction that revolutionized things. It was merely the technology being used to create said films. You might as well say the first guy to direct an animated film in colour is one of the greatest directors.

And considering how often computer animation was being used in effects in those days, I'm pretty sure, sooner or later, someone would've created a full animated feature film.

Except it wasn't the style of his direction that revolutionized things. It was merely the technology being used to create said films. You might as well say the first guy to direct an animated film in colour is one of the greatest directors.

And considering how often computer animation was being used in effects in those days, I'm pretty sure, sooner or later, someone would've created a full animated feature film.

It wasn't just the technology. If Toy Story wasn't a success, then that industry falters and it's back to hand drawn animation. Moreover, no one was even close to making computer animated films. You're just inventing that. Pixar was miles ahead of everyone. It took everyone years to play catch up, and the company that became the big Disney/Pixar challenger was DreamWorks Animation because they were owned by a guy who worked for Disney and was influenced by Lasseter.

You can talk about what could have been all you want. However, what is is that Lasseter changed an industry with an influential film. Lots of people are trying to be John Lasseter, and there's a reason for that.

It wasn't just the technology. If Toy Story wasn't a success, then that industry falters and it's back to hand drawn animation. Moreover, no one was even close to making computer animated films. You're just inventing that. Pixar was miles ahead of everyone. It took everyone years to play catch up, and the company that became the big Disney/Pixar challenger was DreamWorks Animation because they were owned by a guy who worked for Disney and was influenced by Lasseter.

You can talk about what could have been all you want. However, what is is that Lasseter changed an industry with an influential film. Lots of people are trying to be John Lasseter, and there's a reason for that.

Go back and look at the thread title. This is a list of Greatest Directors. Not a list of 'Greatest People who helped forward the use of specific technology in films'. No one is denying that Lasseter is a good director or that Toy Story is a great film. However, you're saying Lasseter deserves a higher place than Miyazaki solely because he helped further the use of technology rather than because of his actual skills at directing a film. 

And yes, eventually someone else would've created a full computer animated feature. It may have taken years, but it would've been done.

Edited by rukaio101

That's not true. The computer animation industry was well developed by the time Toy Story came out, so if it hadn't been Pixar, someone would have done a feature. PDI was trying to get funding to do computer animated films a decade before Toy Story came out. They didn't succeed, but it wasn't because of a lack of technical knowhow.

Also, Casseopeia (a Brazillian computer animated film) came out within a year of Toy Story and started development in the early 90s, so there was definitely concurrent development elsewhere.

• Like 1

Directors that could have made the list -these are all directors that could have made the list but they weren't guys you had to include. Although, their movies are better than the ones of some of the directors who made the list, which is why I am mentioning them.

1) Tex Avery (Bugs Bunny shorts, Daffy Duck shorts)

Tex Avery is a giant in the world of animation. He created the wacky persona of Bugs Bunny. He created the wacky persona of Daffy Duck. He created Droopy. He created Chilly Willy the Penguin. Tex Avery influenced animation and created the wacky style that everyone is used to when they watch Looney Tines on Saturday mornings. The world of animation would be quite a different place without Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck acting the way that they do. While Avery isn't a must have on a list like this because you may not value shorts, he was a truly great director whose style was very influential.

2) Joss Whedon (The Avengers, Serenity, Much ado about Nothing)

He really only had 1 great movie in The Avengers. He's a great director, but he has a small body of work so far. He's probably an over-reach by me. Milos Forman and Ingmar Bergman were better choices.

3) Buster Keaton (The General, many shorts films)

Buster Keaton was an excellent director. he did many silent films and many shorts. He is often compared to ad against Charlie Chaplin. This list chose Chaplin. I chose both of them. However, it is understandable to only want to give the nod to one of them. It would have been nice if people applied that same method to many of the interchangeable art house directors that they voted for.

4) Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3)

Has not really done a lot of directing. Much more famous for his writing. He will probably direct more and craft a larger body of work. However, right now, he's an over-reach by me.

5) John Favreau (Elf, Iron Man, Iron Man 2)

Has done some excellent work in his time as a director. He would not be the worst director on this list if he was there. However, his body of work is very small, so he is an over-reach by me.

6) Robert Redford (Ordinary People, Quiz Show, A River Runs Through It)

Robert Redford is a great director. He won the best director Oscar for Ordinary People. Also directed the great film Quiz Show. He directed Lions for Lambs, The Legend of Bagger Vance, and A River Runs Through It. He is clearly a great director. I thought about leaving him off the list, but I didn't want the embarrassment of leaving someone on that level as a director off of my list. He isn't a must have director on this list, but he is a borderline candidate.

7) Warren Beatty (Reds, Dick Tracy, Bulworth)

He has a very small output as a director. However, he did win the academy award for best director for Reds. He's an over-reach by me, but he certainly deserved to be considered.

8) Joe Johnston (Jumangi, October Sky, Captain America: The First Avenger)

He has not done many movies, but the ones that he has done have been very well made. The Rocketeer was a good movie. Captain America: The First Avenger and Jumangi are great movies. October Sky is a very good and heart warming film. Honey I Shrunk the Kids is a classic film. Joe Johnston doesn't have a huge output, but that stuff that he has done is really excellent. He easily could have made the list.

9) John Cassavetes ( A Woman Under Influence, Opening Night, Gloria)

He was on of the first truly Independent film makers. He really was a pioneer o the indie movement that became the art house movement. He easily could have made this list because of his impact on the world of film. Indie film isn't the be all and end all, so it's not terrible that he missed this list. However, he's better than some of the art house directors who made the list.

10) Pete Docter (Monster's Inc., Up)

Very small output so far. He's a clear over-reach by me. However, he did make 2 critically successful animated films with Monster's Inc. and Up. Wolfgang Reitherman was a much better choice. However, Docter did deserve to be considered.

11) Adam McKay (Anchorman, Step Brothers, The Other Guys)

Adam McKay has truly made some great movies. Anchorman is one of the all-time great comedies. The Other Guys was an excellent movie. That's 2 great movies for McKay. Step Brothers were great. Adam McKay clearly knows how to direct great movies. However, he has a small output. It's understandable why someone wouldn't vote for him. However, his best is better than some of the directors on this list. He easily could have made this list.

12) Joel Schumacher  (The Client, A Time to Kill, Batman Forever)

Joel Schumacher did some excellent films. The Client, A Time to a Kill, and Batman Forever are all very good films. He's an over-reach by me because he didn't make any truly great films. However, he clearly can make very good films, so he is a borderline candidate for this list.

13) Brett Ratner (Red Dragon, The Family Man, Rush Hour)

Red Dragon is one of the scariest films around. It combines the best of both The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. It's the movie you want to watch with a girl in a dark room. When you are talking about horror movies done right, Red Dragon is one the examples that you want to bring up. Ratner also directed the excellent film The Family Man. He directed Rush Hour 1, Rush Hour 2, and Rush Hour 3. His sample output is small, but he has 2 great films in red Dragon and The Family Man. I didn't think he would make the list because of his work on X-Men: The Last Stand. However, he is a borderline candidate.

14) Jerry Lewis (The Nutty Professor, The Errand Boy, The Ladies Man)

He directed himself in many crazy comedies. He did an excellent job, but you would have to appreciate his comedies in order for him to make the list. It's not terrible that he wasn't on the list, but hopefully he was at least considered.

Go back and look at the thread title. This is a list of Greatest Directors. Not a list of 'Greatest People who helped forward the use of specific technology in films'. No one is denying that Lasseter is a good director or that Toy Story is a great film. However, you're saying Lasseter deserves a higher place than Miyazaki solely because he helped further the use of technology rather than because of his actual skills at directing a film. 

And yes, eventually someone else would've created a full computer animated feature. It may have taken years, but it would've been done.

And Lasseter is a great director. Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 prove that. Miyazaki's films aren't that good and appeal to a very niche audience. If you're in that niche, then wonderful. Most people aren't in that niche. Lasseter's films are far from niche.

All this talk about all these great computer animated companies. Yet, none of them did anything until after Lasseter directed Toy Story.

• Like 1

And Lasseter is a great director. Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 prove that. Miyazaki's films aren't that good and appeal to a very niche audience. If you're in that niche, then wonderful. Most people aren't in that niche. Lasseter's films are far from niche.

All this talk about all these great computer animated companies. Yet, none of them did anything until after Lasseter directed Toy Story.

What the hell?

• Like 2

Unless that niche is made up of about 90+% of filmgoers, I think I'm gonna have to call that one false.

Unless that niche is made up of about 90+% of filmgoers, I think I'm gonna have to call that one false.

90+% of filmgoers? I would like to see those box office numbers. Unless you're saying that 90% of the niche audience that sees the films in theaters likes them. But, I think you're saying 90% of the people that go see films, go to see and enjoy Miyazaki films.

90+% of filmgoers? I would like to see those box office numbers. Unless you're saying that 90% of the niche audience that sees the films in theaters likes them. But, I think you're saying 90% of the people that go see films, go to see and enjoy Miyazaki films.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/opening/?sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

It only goes back to 2002, so it's missing Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but even so.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/opening/?sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

It only goes back to 2002, so it's missing Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but even so.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show me. I clicked on that link, but it only took me to a list of grosses from Japan. I know you're not trying to show me that a Japanese director is popular in Japan. However, either that's the wrong link or I just don't know what you're trying to show me.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show me. I clicked on that link, but it only took me to a list of grosses from Japan. I know you're not trying to show me that a Japanese director is popular in Japan. However, either that's the wrong link or I just don't know what you're trying to show me.

That's exactly what I'm trying to show you. I don't know why you're arguing that Miyazaki is a niche director. He's clearly not.