luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

90+% of filmgoers? I would like to see those box office numbers. Unless you're saying that 90% of the niche audience that sees the films in theaters likes them. But, I think you're saying 90% of the people that go see films, go to see and enjoy Miyazaki films.

I'm saying 90+% of people who watch Miyazaki films enjoy them. And I suppose that 'niche audience that only likes Miyazaki films' just happens to include near every critic on RT.

In addition, it's kinda ridiculous to dismiss the entire wide audience of people who see Miyazaki films as a 'niche'. I could just as easily call all the people who go to see Toy Story a 'niche audience' and it would make about as much sense.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show me. I clicked on that link, but it only took me to a list of grosses from Japan. I know you're not trying to show me that a Japanese director is popular in Japan. However, either that's the wrong link or I just don't know what you're trying to show me.

So apparently, the population of Japan counts as a 'niche audience' does it? 

I'm saying 90+% of people who watch Miyazaki films enjoy them. And I suppose that 'niche audience that only likes Miyazaki films' just happens to include near every critic on RT.

In addition, it's kinda ridiculous to dismiss the entire wide audience of people who see Miyazaki films as a 'niche'. I could just as easily call all the people who go to see Toy Story a 'niche audience' and it would make about as much sense.

So apparently, the population of Japan counts as a 'niche audience' does it? 

You're telling me that 90% of people who go to see a film by a director like that film? I am shocked. I imagine 90% of people who go see Tyler Perry films like those as well. I'd still describe that as a niche audience.

You can call the Toy Story audience whatever you'd like. The fact is that it's a huge mover at the box office. There is no way you can call that niche unless you're changing the definition of the word. The audience that has seen Toy Story is massive.

• Like 2

I think you guys are completely wrong about John Lasseter being a tech guy, he was first an foremost an animator, an artist, a lover of animation and storytelling through animation and he had a dream at the end of the 70's with THE tech guy of Pixar Ed Catmull ( from MIT) : doing an animated movie with computers.

Look at the documentary about the story of Pixar, very compelling stuff.

All the directors at Pixar would have never existed without Lasseter's guidance and advices on storytelling.

He is de facto one of the most important directors of all time.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

You're telling me that 90% of people who go to see a film by a director like that film? I am shocked. I imagine 90% of people who go see Tyler Perry films like those as well. I'd still describe that as a niche audience.

You can call the Toy Story audience whatever you'd like. The fact is that it's a huge mover at the box office. There is no way you can call that niche unless you're changing the definition of the word. The audience that has seen Toy Story is massive.

My God! The Double Standards meter is off the clock! I haven't seen blatant hypocrisy like this since Movieman's last alt!

Allow me to spell out your current logic.

Lots of people see and love Miyazaki's work = He only appeals to a specific niche audience that's made up of all those people.

Lots of people see and love Toy Story = They couldn't possibly be a niche audience! Now you're just changing the definition of the word!

So the lesson learnt today people is that no matter how beloved or respected you are in the industry, unless your film also makes Toy Story level box office numbers, you work apparently can only be enjoyed by a certain niche of people.

Miyazaki does not make films for a niche audience. Almost all of his films are accessible to the general population.

It's just that there is a general stigma against anime/etc in the US which means that his films are not advertised to the masses in the US, even though his films have about as much in common with the stereotypical Japan anime as Pixar's output has.

• Like 4

I suppose my point about Lasseter is that he's a lot like George Lucas. Lucas was certainly a director early on, but what his career became was something that changed the nature of film entirely. He's hugely influential, but I don't think that makes him a great director.

Lasseter's the same (although I'd argue the quality of his direction is a bit above Lucas, relative to his peers.)

My God! The Double Standards meter is off the clock! I haven't seen blatant hypocrisy like this since Movieman's last alt!

Allow me to spell out your current logic.

Lots of people see and love Miyazaki's work = He only appeals to a specific niche audience that's made up of all those people.

Lots of people see and love Toy Story = They couldn't possibly be a niche audience! Now you're just changing the definition of the word!

So the lesson learnt today people is that no matter how beloved or respected you are in the industry, unless your film also makes Toy Story level box office numbers, you work apparently can only be enjoyed by a certain niche of people.

what's so hard to understand? on a global scale, yeah Miyazaki films are niche, it's for film educated people and anime fans (outside of Japan)

Arrietty   87%Poppy Hill  93%Ponyo 88%Howl's   82%Spirited   86%

the percentage is how much WW gross came from Japan.

Edited by Goffe Rises

FULL LIST 

1. Steven Spielberg2. Stanley Kubrick3. Martin Scorsese4. Alfred Hitchcock5. Quentin Tarantino6. Ethan & Joel Coen7. Francis Ford Coppola8. Christopher Nolan9. James Cameron10. David Fincher11. Akira Kurosawa12. Ridley Scott13. David Lean14. Billy Wilder15. Sergio Leone16. Clint Eastwood17. Robert Zemeckis18. Roman Polanski19. Hayao Miyazaki20. Peter Jackson21. Orson Welles22. Ingmar Bergman23. Alfonso Cuaron24. Sidney Lumet25. Paul Thomas Anderson26. John Ford27. Michael Mann28. Federico Fellini29. Ang Lee30. Tim Burton31. Fritz Lang32. Howard Hawks33. Woody Allen34. Sam Mendes35. David Lynch36. John Carpenter37. George Lucas38. Wes Craven39. Charlie Chaplin40. Ron Howard41. Michael Curtiz42. John Huston43. Terrence Malick44. Oliver Stone45. Milos Forman46. Lana & Andy Wachowski47. Danny Boyle48. Frank Capra49. Sam Raimi50. Darren Aronofsky51. Brian De Palma52. Steven Soderbergh53. Victor Felming54. Elia Kazan55. Terry Gilliam56. Brad Bird57. Jean-Luc Godard58. David Paul Cronenberg59. John Wilden Hughes, Jr.60. Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky61. Peter Lindsay Weir62. Bryan Jay Singer63. Walter Elias "Walt" Disney64. Gregor "Gore" Verbinski65. Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein66. Jeffrey Jacob "J. J." Abrams67. François Roland Truffaut68. Paul Verhoeven69. William Friedkin70. Kathryn Ann Bigelow71. Michael Haneke72. Park Chan-wook73. Mel Brooks74. William Wyler75. Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson76. Robert Bernard Altman77. David Samuel "Sam" Peckinpah78. Edgar Howard Wright79. Shelton Jackson "Spike" Lee80. Wesley Wales "Wes" Anderson81. Lars Von Trier82. David Llewelyn Wark "D. W." Griffith83. Lewis Milestone84. Frank Darabont85. Richard Stuart Linklater86. Sydney Irwin Pollack87. Bernardo Bertolucci88. Guillermo del Toro Gómez89. Robert Jonathan Demme90. Richard Donner91. Mark Anthony "Baz" Luhrmann92. Paul Greengrass93. Alexander Payne94. Michael Benjamin Bay95. Robert Reiner96. Ivan Reitman97. Andrew Stanton98. Werner Herzog Stipetic99. Wolfgang Reitherman100. Sylvester Gardenzio Stallone

• Like 3

what's so hard to understand? on a global scale, yeah Miyazaki films are niche, it's for film educated people and anime fans (outside of Japan)

They're niche not because of their nature or their appeal, but because of the lack of marketing and general audience understanding. Ask the average US person what they know of Japanese animation and you'll likely get an answer about either schoolgirls or tentacles. That's part of a big stigma to overcome.Miyazaki's films are not anime, not really. The style of animation is drawn from the Japan school of 2D animation compared to that created by Disney and refined by Don Bluth et al, but the actual content and substance of the films is far more like any US studio film than actual Japanese anime.I'd argue that many of Miyazaki's films are more accessible than some of Pixar's own output, like Ratatouille or WALL-E (which made bank because of the Pixar brand and name association). Edited by 4815162342

here was my list for what it's worth:

7 points
lars von trier

5 points
stanley kubrick
david lynch

4 points
ingmar bergman
werner herzog
akira kurosawa
abbas kiarostami
coens
terrence malick
jean-luc godard

3 points
federico fellini
andrei tarkovsky
robert altman
fritz lang
john cassavetes
bela tarr
gaspar noe
robert bresson
alfred hitchcock
roman polanski

2 points
f. w. murnau
yasujiro ozu
sidney lumet
david fincher
alain resnais
carl theodor dreyer
krzysztof kieslowski
jean-pierre melville
david cronenberg
martin scorsese
satyajit ray
orson welles
christopher nolan
elem klimov
giorgos lanthimos
jacques tati
cristian mingiu
pier paolo pasolini
asghar farhadi
eric rohmer
michelangelo antonioni
bernado bertolucci
errol morris
harmony korine
baz luhrmann
jacques demy
abel gance
claude lanzmann
mike leigh
yimou zhang

1 point
david lean
hayao miyazaki
howard hawks
jim jarmusch
buster keaton
steven soderbergh
jan svankmajer
brian de palma
peter weir
rainer werner fassbinder
sergei m. eisenstein
lewis milestone
paul thomas anderson
chris marker
francis ford coppola
henri-georges clouzot
wes anderson
charles laughton
billy wilder
wim wenders
spike jonze
andrzej wajda
luis bunuel
kenji mizoguchi
john huston
lynne ramsay
nicolas roeg
sam peckinpah
francois truffaut
milos forman
alfonso cuaron
darren aronofsky
ken loach
luchino visconti
alejandro jodorowsky
terry gilliam
milos forman
marco ferreri
dusan makavejev
godfrey reggio
costa-gavras
  • Like 1

FULL LIST 

1. Steven Spielberg2. Stanley Kubrick3. Martin Scorsese4. Alfred Hitchcock5. Quentin Tarantino6. Ethan & Joel Coen7. Francis Ford Coppola8. Christopher Nolan9. James Cameron10. David Fincher11. Akira Kurosawa12. Ridley Scott13. David Lean14. Billy Wilder15. Sergio Leone16. Clint Eastwood17. Robert Zemeckis18. Roman Polanski19. Hayao Miyazaki20. Peter Jackson21. Orson Welles22. Ingmar Bergman23. Alfonso Cuaron24. Sidney Lumet25. Paul Thomas Anderson26. John Ford27. Michael Mann28. Federico Fellini29. Ang Lee30. Tim Burton31. Fritz Lang32. Howard Hawks33. Woody Allen34. Sam Mendes35. David Lynch36. John Carpenter37. George Lucas38. Wes Craven39. Charlie Chaplin40. Ron Howard41. Michael Curtiz42. John Huston43. Terrence Malick44. Oliver Stone45. Milos Forman46. Lana & Andy Wachowski47. Danny Boyle48. Frank Capra49. Sam Raimi50. Darren Aronofsky51. Brian De Palma52. Steven Soderbergh53. Victor Felming54. Elia Kazan55. Terry Gilliam56. Brad Bird57. Jean-Luc Godard58. David Paul Cronenberg59. John Wilden Hughes, Jr.60. Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky61. Peter Lindsay Weir62. Bryan Jay Singer63. Walter Elias "Walt" Disney64. Gregor "Gore" Verbinski65. Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein66. Jeffrey Jacob "J. J." Abrams67. François Roland Truffaut68. Paul Verhoeven69. William Friedkin70. Kathryn Ann Bigelow71. Michael Haneke72. Park Chan-wook73. Mel Brooks74. William Wyler75. Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson76. Robert Bernard Altman77. David Samuel "Sam" Peckinpah78. Edgar Howard Wright79. Shelton Jackson "Spike" Lee80. Wesley Wales "Wes" Anderson81. Lars Von Trier82. David Llewelyn Wark "D. W." Griffith83. Lewis Milestone84. Frank Darabont85. Richard Stuart Linklater86. Sydney Irwin Pollack87. Bernardo Bertolucci88. Guillermo del Toro Gómez89. Robert Jonathan Demme90. Richard Donner91. Mark Anthony "Baz" Luhrmann92. Paul Greengrass93. Alexander Payne94. Michael Benjamin Bay95. Robert Reiner96. Ivan Reitman97. Andrew Stanton98. Werner Herzog Stipetic99. Wolfgang Reitherman100. Sylvester Gardenzio Stallone

The fact that Orson Welles is 21 is kind of sad.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show me. I clicked on that link, but it only took me to a list of grosses from Japan. I know you're not trying to show me that a Japanese director is popular in Japan. However, either that's the wrong link or I just don't know what you're trying to show me.

Arrietty   87%Poppy Hill  93%Ponyo 88%Howl's   82%Spirited   86%

the percentage is how much WW gross came from Japan.

Did you foget how hard it is for a foreign animation to get a share of the global market? Go check the popularity and box office of Persepolis or The Illusionist (France), Mary and Max (Australia), The Secret of Kells (Belgium/Ireland), Waltz With Bashir (Israel), Millenium Actress (Japan)...

All these movies were acclaimed, but there is no room for competition because american animations dominate the global market. If there's one guy who succeeded in exporting animated movies, he is MIyazaki, some of his movies grossed $30m~$40m outside Japan. Or check how many ratings Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle have on IMDB, more than The Croods, Megamind or Rio, for example. 

Miyazaki is only a niche director for people who think animations are about singing princesses and talking animals.

Edited by JohnnY