baumer

Vampire Academy (2014)

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm giving this movie a very low B because it doesn't deserve a C but isn't quite good enough to make it a B.  First of all, I have to say that I think Zoey Deutch will be a star after this film.  She is first of all absolutely gorgeous and second of all she has a lot of charisma in the movie.  She is also the daughter of John Hughes cronie, Howard Deutch (Some Kind of Wonderful and Pretty In Pink) and Lea Thompson (Some Kind of Wonderful, The Wild Life). When she's on screen, and it's almost the entire movie, the film has spunk.  The story itself is a little out of my realm but that doesn't mean the film isn't enjoyable.  Also, you can tell this is written by the writer of Heathers.  It's very pop culture heavy and there are some really cools lines in the film.

The plot is a little silly but the execution of it is fairly decent.

6.5/10

• Like 1

I am fucking shocked. I actually enjoyed this film. Don't get me wrong, its not a good film, but its certainly quite enjoyable.

I have set a challenge to myself to watch as many movies in the cinemas as I can this year and with this being Vampire Academy's last showing here I resolved to battle my way through my cold, and be prepared for an experience as bad as twilight.

This is not Twilight. This is so far above Twilight its not even funny. And sure, half the plot in this film comes from 'gossip', but you know what fuck it. I'll give it a pass for that. On one level this is essentially a coming of age/finding your place in the world type story and its decent for what it is. But ultimately, while these lead girls have crushes and like boys, and wanna look pretty and shit they actually have depth to their characters. Neither is a Bella Swan. They have hopes and dreams that extend beyond getting cock . And I liked that. I appreciate that. I actually enjoyed watching a film with 2 strong female leads which is quite rare in the world of film.

Unfortunately the direction and technical aspects of this film were a let down. I get the feeling this movie was made as quickly as possible for as little money as possible to cash in on the YA fiction fad going on at this moment which is a shame because I suspect the underlying material deserved a lot better treatment. The CGI is laughable, the direction is anaemic, the sound design woeful.....Its just not a well put together film.

Yet, channeling my inner teenage girl I still enjoyed it. I was engaged with the characters. I was engaged with the lore. I laughed at the one liners. I was thinking, Mia you are a total bitch! I laughed through the badly choreograph in the fight scenes. Fuck the 10% RT meter, this is not a movie made for 40 year old male critics. I enjoyed it.

8/10

• Like 3

well i love the books & thankfully all the crap i read online & RT indicating the movie is awful turned out to be not true for me

I found it pretty fun high school comedy

my man Danila was kinda wooden tho :(

too bad b/c he's a wonderful actor

Idk if he has a future in Hollywood

Didn't start off very well as it felt like going into the second movie of a trilogy without seeing the first film, but slowly it gained momentum and although the series has ended before it really began thanks to a dreadful box office, hopefully Zoey Deutch has a career going forward as she is great in this and probably the only saving grace.

**¾/*****, (C, 5.4/10, 2.25/4)

its a real shame , this movie had potential and it died in the bud because of awful writing and direction , poor editing 

give this a C couldnt bring myself to click on B even if ti would be a  B minus minus  !

alas i found the actress , well not the actress really she's very pretty and seems nice , but the direction and tone she was told to play her character , i found her voice super annoying and over the top , as much as i tried i couldnt connect with her , perhaps she's suppose to come over as sarcastic but i found her irreverent and self -important like ooh look how hip i am and i say cool one liners , it was just jarring , everyone else was acting normal except her 

i mean like look at tris in divergent , she was not acting up like that 24/7 and her attraction to four is dealt with so much better 

basically i felt like they were acting the entire time , and it stopped me from getting into it 

a positive , the whole in your mind thing was dealt with better than in the host 

#sorrynotsorry but twilight is miles better than this and that comes from a fan who is aware of twilight faults but still loves the movies , a movie doesnt always have to be perfect but something has to work that establishes a convenant between the film and the viewer and IMO this movie lacks that , heck even mortal instruments managed that small feat 

anyway i've decided to read the books as its pretty clear the movie route is DOA , maybe the books are better , which is usually the case