Dark Jedi Master 007

The Classic Movie Club: First Film-ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)

If you don’t like the time period assigned to you or the date, you may switch with someone. PM me first before you switch.

All of this information is important, but a lot of it is pretty obvious. I’ve chosen to bold the stuff that isn’t.

THE CLASSIC MOVIE CLUB

Objective: To discuss classic movies in order to have a greater appreciation for them and cinema.

The keyword is discuss. I don’t want this to just be a mini-Review That Movie forum. We should try to get a back and forth dialogue going. I will suggest certain ways to accomplish this task, but in general, I just want people to remember this when posting here.

The other keyword is appreciation. No matter what guidelines I type, just remember that we’re all here to celebrate cinema. If we remember that, the guidelines will not seem limiting and heated discussions will stay polite.

Guidelines

All guidelines are subject to change.

Schedule

[*]Every Friday, whosever turn it is to select a classic will do so. [*]The group will then view the film and talk about it over the next week. [*]The next Friday, the next person goes. [*]Those on the list must choose by Friday night, or their slot is given to the next person (I will PM you a day before it’s your turn to remind you). [*]The schedule is set up for us to browse through each decade. We will spend 3 weeks on a decade (so 3 films per decade). We will begin with the 1960’s and then branch out from there with the following schedule:

Time period 1: 1960’s

2: 1950’s

3: 1970’s

4: 1940’s
5: 1980’s

And so forth.

[*]Each member must choose a film from the decade he is assigned. [*]I am assigning decades randomly in terms of who joined first. So, DAR, for example will be our first member to choose and must choose a film from the 60’s. [*]If you don’t like the decade I assign you or badly want another decade, PM me. [*]I will have a full schedule on the first post soon, but for now, all you need to know is that DAR chooses on Friday.

Choosing

[*]Anything you find to be a classic is a classic. [*]You may also pick a movie that is considered a classic, but you find overrated, if you want to discuss it with the group. You may also choose a classic you haven’t seen, but wish to explore. Use your discretion to decide what is considered a classic and isn’t. [*]After you’ve chosen a film, type a paragraph explaining why you chose it. If you’ve seen it, tell us how you felt while watching it. If you haven’t, explain us why you want to explore the film. Also, tell us your favorite scene and ask one question that you hope will stimulate discussion about the film (for example, if I chose Bonnie and Clyde, I might ask you if you think the violence was excessive).

Things To Remember

[*]Runtime: People are busy, so be reasonable with runtime. Yes, Shoah is a classic according to reviews; it’s also 8 hours long. Pick something that we have a good chance to see. There’s no set limit on runetime. [*]Accessibility: Choose a film that people have seen or can easily find on TV, Netflix, Youtube, or a local library.

Those Who Aren’t Choosing, But Just Discussing
There are guidelines for you too.

[*]Attempt to watch the movie. I know life can be complicated, but try to see the film, even if you’ve seen it before because it allows for fresher discussion. [*]Discuss, don’t just review. [*]BE POLITE! [*]HAVE FUN!!!!!

Schedule is As Follows (Tentatively)

Date: User Who Is Choosing (Which Decade User Must Choose Film From)

March 28th (or 29th, since he found out on short notice): DAR  (1960’s)
April 4th
: mahnamahna (1960’s)
April 11th
: Frozen Iceroll (1960’s)
April 18th
: Divergent Films (1950’s)
April 25th
: VCC (1950’s)
May 2nd
: Spottswoode (1950’s)
May 9th
: baumer (1970’s)
May 16th
: Telemachos (1970’s)
May 23rd
: Andy LL (1970’s)
May 30th
: Coolio D1 (1940’s)
June 6th
: Sherriff Woody (1940’s)
June 13th
: Sixteen16 (1940’s)
June 20th
: The Panda (1980’s)
June 27th
: redfirebird2008 (1980’s)
July 4th
(or 5th, since it’s a holiday): Fancyarcher (1980’s)
July 11th
: DJM (1930’s)

Afterwards, we’ll see where we go.

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007
  • Like 3

There's no way I could commit to every week though is it possible i can maybe be like a side 11th member who pops up time to time because I would like to do this though im very busy in the next few months

You know what, I'm happy to join in. Although I'm not sure if a forum is an ideal format for something like this.

This is true. Perhaps we should consider other options.Then again, I think that part of the issue is that I've been really lazy promoting this. Perhaps, if I did a better job, we would have many more members. So let's see what I can do promoting it first. Give me till the end of the weekend. 

I think the first classic should be a classic from the 80's.  I know, shocker, isn't it?   :)

Strangely enough... I haven't seen a lot of the 80s BP nominations...

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture_(1980s)

I vote for the 1930s. :ph34r:

They had movies back then?  The projector had a candle in it?

• Like 1