baumer

Hercules (1997)

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Definitely one of the best Disney classic animated movies. Great songs, entertaining story. And who doesn't like Hercules, anyway? Also, second best villain. Hades is just too damn good.

Edited by portgas
  • Like 1

Hercules is a very underrated film in my opinion. When people discuss Disney's best from the 90s people seem to invariably turn to The Lion King, Aladdin, and The Beauty and the Beast (and deservedly so) but I think Hercules is definitely worthy of being added to the Pantheon of animated classics in its own right. Mythological inaccuracies aside, it has a solid story with a great final act. The humor is this movie is particularly of note. James Woods is brilliant as Hades (he is basically the villain equivalent of Robin Williams' Genie) and Danny Devito as Hercules' trainer Phil is great as well. The hand-drawn animation is beautiful, although I'm not the biggest fan of some of the unusual proportions. Widely regarded as the weakest part of Hercules may be the soundtrack which I would say is not quite on the same level as some of the all-time Disney greats but even so it still has a few songs that really shine. "Go the Distance", "I Won't Say I'm In Love", and "A Star is Born" are all very good musical numbers. Ultimately, I give Hercules 9.1/10 and place it fifth on my overall Disney list.

Quite possibly the most fun Disney film. I don't even understand how anyone wouldn't find it charming. The animation is colorful and amazing, and the songs are varied and great of course. Plus, c'mon guys, we're talking about Hades here!

Posted Image

I sometimes really think that Hercules is my favorite Disney film, such an underrated gem.

A+

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 1