JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

5 hours ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

Most likely Event

Date is still TBA, but yes wanting to aim for dec if they can.

I know this is still only in early development stages but any ideas if any of the majors (cinema chains) are attached the Ferny Grove Rail Station Development (I know the plan mentions cinemas going in there but i wouldn't think Reading would open another so close to newmarket and Hoyts is only down the road at stafford so only Event, Palace (doubt this one too), who else would be an option ?

20 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

I know this is still only in early development stages but any ideas if any of the majors (cinema chains) are attached the Ferny Grove Rail Station Development (I know the plan mentions cinemas going in there but i wouldn't think Reading would open another so close to newmarket and Hoyts is only down the road at stafford so only Event, Palace (doubt this one too), who else would be an option ?

Most likely Event

• Like 1

Actually Age of Ultron seems like it could be a good comparison.  It had Wednesday night previews of AUD1.401m and a weekend of AUD15.7m.  ANZAC Day was on the Saturday that year and there was no public holiday on the Friday or Monday except in WA.  I believe the previews were roughly at the same time and probably had similar capacity.

Ragnarok's preview of AUD789,208 x 11.2 gives an OW of AUD8.8m.

This is rough and could be way of.  At least AUD7.5m up to AUD10m seems the likely range for the weekend.

That suggest a final gross of AUD25-35m.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/10/2017 at 5:22 PM, DeeCee said:

Is $9-10m likely excluding Wednesday?

If Ragnarok can manage 9-10m that's a nice uptick over dark worlds 7.2m.

oh on a another note saw Ragnarok last night. Loved it. Easily the best Thor film. A lot funnier than I expected. Tone was closer to GOTG too

• Like 2

21 hours ago, YourMother said:

So any ideas for US OD/OW for Ragnarok?

5 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I’ve got time. I’ll wait till the actual number on Monday morning. About 42 hours from now. 

Consider dark world opened to 7.2 vs 85m US. then 10m (say it goes that high) should mean opening about 110m or more 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If we take the low end of $9m that’s 1.4 x Doctor Stranger in Australia. 

USD85m x 1.4 gives USD119m. 

Until we get the actual about this time tomorrow let’s say USD115-135m.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DeeCee said:

If we take the low end of $9m that’s 1.4 x Doctor Stranger in Australia. 

USD85m x 1.4 gives USD119m. 

Until we get the actual about this time tomorrow let’s say USD115-135m.

But wouldn't it make sense for a movie that was shot in Australia with an Australian lead and another big Australian star(Cate Blanchett) in a major role to have a lower US/AUS ratio than Doctor Strange, which had none of those things going for it in Australia though?

The Dark World's US/AUS ratio was 11.9x, while Doctor Strange's ratio was 13.1x.

With AU$9-10M, using DS's ratio would give USD118-131M, while using TDW's ratio gives USD107-119M.

It's quite a big difference.

Edited by Ephemeris
  • Thanks 2

@DeeCee what is your final predictions for Dom OW based on these actual numbers? 

I suppose with the presence of australian actors and kiwi director the numbers may skew a bit higher in Australia so the high end predict of 135 may not pan out. But keeping that in mind realistically what do you predict?