JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Don't we normally do 80-100m tickets per year?(just off the top of my head)

It hasn't been under 80m since 1998 and has never been over 92.5m (like recently, excluding the 50's and before). Pretty slim range. I'm hoping this year can break 100m though.

It hasn't been under 80m since 1998 and has never been over 92.5m (like recently, excluding the 50's and before). Pretty slim range. I'm hoping this year can break 100m though.

If you only estimate us to be at 42m and we're on the back end of JULY, 100m, I would say, is out of the question.

If you only estimate us to be at 42m and we're on the back end of JULY, 100m, I would say, is out of the question.

For the top 50, which normally makes about 70% of the total gross. If the share is that much at this point, there've been about 60m tickets sold. I doubt it's that high, but it's definitely higher than 42m.
  • Like 1

For the top 50, which normally makes about 70% of the total gross. If the share is that much at this point, there've been about 60m tickets sold. I doubt it's that high, but it's definitely higher than 42m.

My bad. I forgot you were talking about Top 50 only!

Theatres are having a big clear-out. Event Cinemas George Street in Sydney is the highest grossing complex in the country(Rth, correct me if I am wrong). On Wednesday TASM has 18 screenings across 2D and 3D. On Thursday it currently has 1 3D and 3 3D for a grand total of 4 screenings. This does seem very low so they might add a couple more before Thursday. Ted loses all its VMAX and most of it's Gold Class screens and goes from 18 to 9 screenings.TDKR opens on Thursday with at this stage 39 screenings.Some Saturday and Sunday Gold Class sessions are also sold out.

George St one of the biggest in the World :), might find not all sessions for w/c 19/7 are loaded yet most of the time programming isn't finallised til tues and then it can still be tweaked, negotiations go on mon/tues with distributors on session policiesJust did a quick check hoyts/village Reading either nothing or just some locations loaded for w/c 19/7 beyond TDRK

I suspected they had some unallocated capacity. 4 sessions for TASM seemed a little low.

yeah looks like George St has 3-4 screens not programmed yetcurrently they are giving TDKR 8 screens(inclu 3 GC) and out of the eight they have all the biggest capacity GC's and the 4 biggest regular about 2500 seats in all.Back in the day when ID4 opened at the then Sydney Hoyts Centre first weekend it had just the 4 biggest screens gave a capcity of over 3200 seats (and they sold them out)Marion 26 in Adelaide most of the day has TDKR in 9-10 screens Edited by Rth

So you're saying George Street went backwards in the last 16 years?

To cut a long story shortThe original Hoyts centre was a 7 plex with capacity of 4300 ( had been one of the biggest capacities in the world, in the day 25 plexes didn't seat 4300 people)next door the GU George street was 4 plex had about 2700 capacity, later became a 5 with additiona screen but that screen has since gone altogether.now over the years the two complexes were joined (village complex further down the same block closed) and some cinemas carved up or refurned less capacity-What was GU cin 1/2 is now Vmax1/2 but they use to seat 719&790 two refurbs they are now down to 398&441(but the auditoriam size is the same,its the seating config causes the reduction)-What was GU3 now GU 10/11 big nearly 900 seater made into 2 cinemas-what was Hoyts 3&7 (one just under 900 seats one over ) is now all the GU 5 Gold class screens, the lounge and GU 6&7-what was Hoyts 5 is now GU 4, seats just over 100 less then it use to(over 800 seats ,Capacity wise almost bigger then the two Vmax put together but the Vmax screen sizes are much bigger)the remaining cinemas hoyts 4 (now Gu 3),hoyts 1&2 (now GU 8/9) GU 4 (now GU 12) auditoriums largly the same but refurb they all seat 50-100 less then they use to. Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

Fucking hell - 900 seats!?My works biggest is 200! It's overwhelming for us when that sells out - it seriously hurts my head to imagine NINE HUNDRED people in ONE session!

LOL Odeon Leicster Square in London cin1 off the cuff 1600-1700 seats and they have 3 price categories, the stalls and two for the dress circle the front dress circle price is or almost about what you pay here for GC (or it use to be) , the theatre is in high demand they ususally don't play films more than 3-5 weeks before it has to move elsewhere and a film can come off still taking over 100k for a weekend/week.and the cinema sells out over the years its held world BO recordsRandwick Ritz cinema 1(about 830 seats, use to often fill or go close rare these days has two levels)and GU George St 4 would be the biggest capcity regular screening cinemas in Sydney, Cremorne Orpheum cin4(around 750) would be next, without working it out Blacktown cin 5 probably be next close to 600 (its screen is biggest regular cinema in Australia and 2nd biggest Southern hemisphere the width of the screen is a tab smaller than Imax width Imax wins bigtime on height, and Imax sydney is worlds biggest) Edited by Rth

Randwick Ritz cinema 1(about 830 seats, use to often fill or go close rare these days has two levels)and GU George St 4 would be the biggest capcity regular screening cinemas in Sydney, Cremorne Orpheum cin4(around 750) would be next, without working it out Blacktown cin 5 probably be next close to 600 (its screen is biggest regular cinema in Australia and 2nd biggest Southern hemisphere the width of the screen is a tab smaller than Imax width Imax wins bigtime on height, and Imax sydney is worlds biggest)

I need to go to one of these exceptionally big theatres.

I think I saw Kick Ass in the big 800 seat theatre at George Street. It's long rather then wide so your to far from the screen if you sit more then about two thirds back. The old Regent Theatre in Wollongong would seat 1200-1400(Rth, do you know the capacity?). I saw a number of films there over the years including capacity midnights for ID4 and the re-release OT Star Wars.

Edited by DeeCee