JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Well that sucks... I can't paste the table in for the top films of all time (i've got it all updated on a spreadsheet locally :) )

until i work it out... here's how things look now:

[*]1 film has passed 100m :P

[*]5 films have now passed 50m (if skyfall somehow manages to make it, then we will have number 6)

[*]17 films have passed 40m (The Hobbit will be the 18th Film to pass the mark)

[*]53 films have passed 30m

[*]140 films have passed 20m to date (there a few films which could make this mark in the charts at the moment)

[*]We are now up to 505 films past 10m (i think i've captured them all but i might have missed something.)

[*]4 films have opened > 15m (normal 4 day weekends only)

[*]33 films have opened > 10m

[*]117 films have opened > 5m

[*]Only 6 films are in the top 50 which were released prior to 2000.

[*]Of note 2 of those still remain in the top 10 grossers of all time. Excluding pre star wars era films, those 2 continue to be our 2 biggest adjusted films of all time.

[*]A further 13 films released prior to 2000 lie in the bottom half of the top 100. (1 of those 13 is the 3rd biggest adjusted film of all time :P )

[*]Post 2000 is easily dominated by Avatar not suprisingly.

[*]Of interest, 2012's number 1 film The Avengers had an approximate attendance figure slightly lower than The Dark Knight (around 4m) from a few years ago. Both of these are well below that the Lord of the Rings pulled in 2001 / 2 /3 (some million off i think).

• Like 2

FYI - in case anyone was interested, the hobbit looks to have lost slightly more than a third of it's audience since Return of the King. (slightly higher when comparing to Fellowship). (this assumes are final of 45m which seems about right for the hobbit now.)

I've complete weekend data in my spreadsheets (top 20s only) since the start of 2008. thought i have all the totals from earlier of course... I actually had a website running for a time there ... may yet revive in the coming weeks if i get a little more time.

I've complete weekend data in my spreadsheets (top 20s only) since the start of 2008. thought i have all the totals from earlier of course... I actually had a website running for a time there ... may yet revive in the coming weeks if i get a little more time.

You really need to bring back BODU - miss that joint :(It was better than anything official websites could offer!I still have the link bookmarked on my iphone and computer!
  • Like 1

actually given i can't paste larger tables here.. i think i might have revive things ... might even start writing the old reports again... (the last one i wrote for bodu was when knight and day was released in 2010 :P )

actually given i can't paste larger tables here.. i think i might have revive things ... might even start writing the old reports again... (the last one i wrote for bodu was when knight and day was released in 2010 :P )

Wow over 2 and a half years ago!I remember good old BODU..

I'm looking into reviving bodu. Already have an address. May take a few days but ill try and get it back on its feet. (Still got all the showdowns on it from 2009 / 2010) :). Watch this space.

• Like 3

Wow. I knew Boxing Day was a massive record-breaking day, but I didn't realise to what extent.New Boxing Day Record - Boxing Day 2012: AUD10.8m Old Boxing Day Record - Boxing Day 2003: AUD6.3mIt absolutely annihilated the old record. Majorly annihilated.http://www.mpdaa.org.au/customers/mpdaa/mpdaa.nsf/Web_PressReleases?ReadForm

Edited by Wreck-It Robertron!

Those are different figures.

Wow. I knew Boxing Day was a massive record-breaking day, but I didn't realise to what extent.New Boxing Day Record - Boxing Day 2012: AUD10.8m -This is the top 10 in 2012. Old Boxing Day Record - Boxing Day 2003: AUD6.3m-This is the 7 new releases on Boxing Day in 2003. The 2012 figure was $9.7m. It absolutely annihilated the old record. Majorly annihilated.http://www.mpdaa.org.au/customers/mpdaa/mpdaa.nsf/Web_PressReleases?ReadForm

That's not comparing the same numbers. The article doesn't state the previous record for the total on Boxing Day. I think Rth posted the numbers earlier in the thread.

robert... you're still wrong... I've just read that article:the 7 "NEW" Releases made 6.3m in 2003. The 7 NEW Releases in 2012 boxing day made 9.7m....2003 I think from my calcs would have made closer to 8m+ for the top 10 alone. (I'm estimating around 8.4m for boxing day in 2003)1 key difference here was the top 4 films in 2012 were all new releases. in fact 5 out of the top 7 were new releases.While in 2003, only the top 2 were new releases, in fact only 4 out of the top 10 (3rd top new release was in 5th) were new.The 10.8m+ which is the top 10, is comparable to this.RTH - what is the all time top day aggregate in australia out of interest.... (wonder if it was the day harry opened or the day the avengers opened ?)

Edited by Jajang

robert... you're still wrong... I've just read that article:the 7 "NEW" Releases made 6.3m in 2003. The 7 NEW Releases in 2012 boxing day made 9.7m....2003 I think from my calcs would have made closer to 8m+ for the top 10 alone. (I'm estimating around 8.4m for boxing day in 2003)1 key difference here was the top 4 films in 2012 were all new releases. in fact 5 out of the top 7 were new releases.While in 2003, only the top 2 were new releases, in fact only 4 out of the top 10 (3rd top new release was in 5th) were new.

Confusing articlenot far off with 2003 :), top 10 7.6m, total 8m2010 top4 were NR but only 2 over 1m 04 as wellfor the total day all films the biggest years are 2012 (close 11m), then 2009, 2002, 2003, 2001
  • Like 1