JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Yeh that's what I meant - it wasn't a case of DM1 not having, and DM2 having - it was a level playing field in that respect. Given the fact that 3D was bigger during DM1 days, DM2 grossing this much more is even more impressive.

Minion fever. Everyone, young and old, are loving the minions! The increase is extremely impressive!

Minion fever. Everyone, young and old, are loving the minions! The increase is extremely impressive!

Its honestly strange how obsessed people of all ages are with the minions. They definitely won everyone over for Universal.

Jajang, MOS total right now is about 12.8m, right? (9.5m OW and 3.3m weekdays) With an estimated 4.1m weekend, that'll put it at 16.9m. So it'll only gross 4.1m after that for ~21m finish? Isn't that too harsh or did I misunderstand something? I'm sorry if I did  -_-

BTW, do you know the finish total for IM3 in US dollars? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Never mind about my IM3 question, saw your awesome top 20 movies table on the last page  :D So it's $39.2M total, shame that it's so close but cannot push for the $40M mark, still, it's a great result for IM3 in Aus  :)

brain spasm on that one... i forgot add in the 3.3m from weekdays... either way it's still heading for around 25m  :raining:

not the best for a film that opened with 8.6m (9.5m including wednesday) and had holidays supporting it.

• Like 2

Its honestly strange how obsessed people of all ages are with the minions. They definitely won everyone over for Universal.

one comment from me ....

BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH!!!!!!!! ;)

Posted Image

• Like 1

Weekend Report

After slipping to second place the previous weekend, Despicable Me 2 has been able to return to the top spot with an impressive 7% increase over last weekends take.  DM2 has now amassed a very strong 22.4m and is now well on it's  way to passing 30m and becoming the 2nd biggest film of the year so far.  DM2 does indeed have 1 more holiday boosted weekend before it may drop  off very heavily like previous animated films have done.  Man of Steel dropped to second place with what must be considered to be a very disappointing drop for this film.  Even for a comic book film, a 54% during holidays is really just terrible.  Still Man of Steel has now surpassed Superman Returns (14.1m) as the biggest Superman film in australia. Man of Steel really needs around 25m to beat Superman Returns in Atttendance.  Of course, Man of Steel isn't getting anyway near the attendance of the original film which is well above 30m in adjusted terms.  Currently, as it stands Man of Steel is on it's way to a strong but what must be considered disappointing 25m (especially given the size of the opening).   The new opener this weekend could only manage 3rd place.  The Lone Ranger opened to 3.6m which while it is strong, it must be said for a film which I think was hoping for a opening weekend above 6m is very, very disappointing.  In the end The Lone Ranger can hope for at best 12m here in australia especially given the reviews it's currently getting.  Monsters University, the fellow animated film currently out fell to 4th but it also increased over last weekend by 3%.  Currently Monsters is on it's way to 25m but if it didn't face DM2 as competition you must feel this film had potential to make it past the 30m mark.  Either way it's still a great result for a film that will never hit the top spot.  Rounding out the top 5 was World War Z which has continued it's impressive run towards 20m.  Yes this film continues to toy with the 20m mark at the moment and is an outside shot of passing the mark very late in it's run.

Other films of note, are Fast and Furious 6 which looks to be winding up around the 28m mark now.    The Great Gatsby is still toying with the 30m mark but i think in the end this film will wind up short as the holiday boost hasn't been as great as hoped.  Both The Hangover III (disappointing 21m) and Star Trek Into Darkness (franchise best 16.3m) have exited the top 20 now.  Iron Man 3 of course finished it's run in the top 20 a week back and looks like it has wound up short of the long hoped for 40m mark.

Films in limited release include We Steal Secrets, the film about Wikileaks which could only manage a disappointing per print average of 3k.   The National Theatre Live: The Audience, the play about the prime minister's audiences with the queen, managed a much more respectable 7k.  

thanks to lab for posting the top 20...... (I will post the current top 20 of 2013 and showdowns later)...

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 1