JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Weekend Report

After opening to strong results last weekend, the heat has really lit up with a mere 28% dip from it's strong nearly 4m opening.  With over 8m in the bag now, The heat is now well on it's way to a total north of 15m.  With a few more strong holds like this, 20m isn't out of the question either.  The largest opening of the weekend belonged to the other adult comedy in the market, This is the end.  This is the end managed a 2.5m opening on only 233 prints.  Not sure how it's word of mouth will play out but a total around 10m looks good at the moment.  The conjuring could conjure 3rd spot on opening weekend making only 1.8m.  However, it is noted that The Conjuring only opened on 135 prints which is not surprising given the disappointing result of similar films here in australia.  

The remainder of our holdovers had a mixed bag of results as the holidays wound up.  Despicable Me 2 impressed by only dropping 56% (a drop > 60% was expected here like we saw with Ice Age 4).  DM2 is now targeting a total above 35m thanks to this hold and is an outside shot of passing Finding Nemo's great 37m.  Unless DM2 finds some impressive late legs, the 40m dream is all but gone now.  Pacfic Rim managed to round out the 5 with a surprising 45% drop from it's opening weekend.  however that opening did appear a little muted, hence the low 5.7m running total.  As previously noted, I doubt PR will make it to 10m at this pace.  Man of Steel dipped 47% and is continuing to toy with a possible final total near 25m.  Monsters Uni is also toying with a similar figure however it does appear the Monsters will wind up short.  The Lone Ranger split this 2 films and should wind up just past the 10m mark.  Rounding out the ten, World War Z is on target for a just short of 19m total and Epic will wind up around 9m.

Overall the top 20 made 16m which was does 25% from last weekends, holiday boosted 21m.  

• Like 1

Top 20 of 2013

As of 22nd July 2013.

In case you missing the 2012 carryover, The Hobbit pops into 7th place currently with 23.7m, Les Miserables in 11th place with 18m, and Wreck it Ralph in 13th place with 16.6m.

slight adjustmentHobbit #7 23.9, WIR #11 18.9,LM #12 18.3, PG #20 10.2 Edited by Rth

Weekend Report

After opening to strong results last weekend, the heat has really lit up with a mere 28% dip from it's strong nearly 4m opening.  With over 8m in the bag now, The heat is now well on it's way to a total north of 15m.  With a few more strong holds like this, 20m isn't out of the question either.  The largest opening of the weekend belonged to the other adult comedy in the market, This is the end.  This is the end managed a 2.5m opening on only 233 prints.  Not sure how it's word of mouth will play out but a total around 10m looks good at the moment.  The conjuring could conjure 3rd spot on opening weekend making only 1.8m.  However, it is noted that The Conjuring only opened on 135 prints which is not surprising given the disappointing result of similar films here in australia.  

The remainder of our holdovers had a mixed bag of results as the holidays wound up.  Despicable Me 2 impressed by only dropping 56% (a drop > 60% was expected here like we saw with Ice Age 4).  DM2 is now targeting a total above 35m thanks to this hold and is an outside shot of passing Finding Nemo's great 37m.  Unless DM2 finds some impressive late legs, the 40m dream is all but gone now.  Pacfic Rim managed to round out the 5 with a surprising 45% drop from it's opening weekend.  however that opening did appear a little muted, hence the low 5.7m running total.  As previously noted, I doubt PR will make it to 10m at this pace.  Man of Steel dipped 47% and is continuing to toy with a possible final total near 25m.  Monsters Uni is also toying with a similar figure however it does appear the Monsters will wind up short.  The Lone Ranger split this 2 films and should wind up just past the 10m mark.  Rounding out the ten, World War Z is on target for a just short of 19m total and Epic will wind up around 9m.

Overall the top 20 made 16m which was does 25% from last weekends, holiday boosted 21m.  

TH 12 def 15 maybe 20m crazy shit :).DM2 never going to do 40m, 35 looks poss if chance @ 37 mark its is going to need few really crazy holds (like TS3 week6) its already 9m over what studio wanted for film, TC considering others in genre and how horror doesn't usually do well here its quite good opening above what most thought. MOS over 24 may get close to 25 but no more. SR probably just over 8 (orig thoguht was around BS numbers), WWZ yep should be 19 or close.

Edited by Rth

TH 12 def 15 maybe 20m crazy shit :).DM2 never going to do 40m, 35 looks poss if chance @ 37 mark its is going to need few really crazy holds (like TS3 week6) its already 9m over what studio wanted for film, TC considering others in genre and how horror doesn't usually do well here its quite good opening above what most thought. MOS over 24 may get close to 25 but no more. SR probably just over 8 (orig thoguht was around BS numbers), WWZ yep should be 19 or close.

Universal were only expecting $23m for DM2???!?Damn they need more faith in their movies!
  • Like 1

slight adjustment Hobbit #7 23.9, WIR #11 18.9,LM #12 18.3, PG #20 10.2

The Hobbit; WIR make sense as they are pretty close to what I had....  but i had a rather big discrepencies on LM & PG...

LM must have made some good doush after if left the top 20! unless my split is wrong...

As for PG it's not adding up for me...... so

My splits were as follows:

The hobbit 42,793,022 (2012 - 19,097,224; 2013 - 23,695,798)

Wreck it Ralph 23,233,379 (2012 - 6,639,383; 2013 - 16,593,996)

Les Miserables 26,104,336 (2012 - 8,094,988; 2013 - 18,009,348)

Parental Guidance 10,959,943 (2012 - 2,979,043; 2013 - 7,980,900)

RTH - can you correct the splits as I think i've missed something :(

The Heat is certainly doing some crazy numbers for sure!  DM2 - i agree it's not hitting 40 but it's going a lot closer than a lot of people though i'd say... and i think it's still an outside shot at nemo's total.  agree with the rest ... i'm around the same i think :P  thought what is SR ???? ;) (P & S are at opposite ends of the keyboard unless you were on a mobile :D )

Universal were only expecting $23m for DM2???!?Damn they need more faith in their movies!

in saying that, it was facing off against a prequel to one of the more loved pixar films.....  25m or so back in the early 2000's is nothing to laugh at...... i think a lot including the studio expected MU & DM2 to make very similar totals around the 25m... not to have one film dominate like this.

The Hobbit; WIR make sense as they are pretty close to what I had....  but i had a rather big discrepencies on LM & PG... LM must have made some good doush after if left the top 20! unless my split is wrong...As for PG it's not adding up for me...... so My splits were as follows: The hobbit 42,793,022 (2012 - 19,097,224; 2013 - 23,695,798)Wreck it Ralph 23,233,379 (2012 - 6,639,383; 2013 - 16,593,996)Les Miserables 26,104,336 (2012 - 8,094,988; 2013 - 18,009,348)Parental Guidance 10,959,943 (2012 - 2,979,043; 2013 - 7,980,900) RTH - can you correct the splits as I think i've missed something :(

You can check it here, just scroll down to where it says "Screen content performance":http://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/research/
  • Like 1