JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Don't forget guys that the weekly totals are boosted due to the monday holiday in much of the country.

so while that Maleficent hold looks awesome it had a slight boost from the monday holiday in there. 

As for Dragon 2, it's going to have 2 weekends of previews before we hit the opening weekend i believe.  ie. the weekend just gone is it's 2nd before the official opening on thursday.

The openers over this weekend are Blended and The Rover I think.  I'd say we are looking at some strong holders or maybe Dragon 2 could top the weekend under previews.

• Like 1

Shrek had two weeks too.

But why? I get it eases the burden of completion but it's ridiculous.In other words, if you're not confident enough in your release being able to perform well against competition either move dates or make a better product that will be competitive (simple business logic) Edited by Catching Robertron

But why? I get it eases the burden of completion but it's ridiculous.In other words, if you're not confident enough in your release being able to perform well against competition either move dates or make a better product that will be competitive (simple business logic)

My guess -  it's to build word of mouth before the wide opening in the face of the WC.

Seriously?! Why the fuck does Dragon need two weeks of previews?! That's just ridiculous.

no idea why they did it ... i guess DW wanted to release the film over the queens birthday long weekend and the only way to do it was previews ? ;)

then the previews won't really announced till about 1 week prior to the queens birthday long weekend.  and the first notices i saw only mentioned it would preview on the queen's birthday weekend only... thats since been changed to include the weekend we are just finishing now.  official release date is 19th still though.  

I'd say we should see around 5m to 6m in previews before Dragon 2 even opens.  funny thing is Dragon 2 could be #1 weekend this weekend if things fall the right way but never make #1 during it's actual run :D;)

But why? I get it eases the burden of completion but it's ridiculous.In other words, if you're not confident enough in your release being able to perform well against competition either move dates or make a better product that will be competitive (simple business logic)

Shrek forever after had a very valid excuse.... it was facing a juggernaught named Toy Story 3 in it's 2nd (actual) weekend, hence pushing it forward as previews made sense especially as they got closer they realised the buzz for TS3 was growing hence they moved it up without moving it up ;)

Dragon 2 doesn't have an animated blockbuster against it until 3rd July (Rio 2 finally arrives in Australia).  It does face 22 JS on it's opening weekend and TF4 in it's 2nd.  but still that's been a known fact... While it may well turn out to be  smart decision for DW, It doesn't appear to make sense.  still it's preview weekend is comparable to Shrek 4 but Shrek 4 only had 1 weekend of previews.  The original shrek was a different story as it was unknown how it would perform and 2000 was a different time for animated films... going for previews or spreading the OW over a number of weekends was very common back then.  

no idea why they did it ... i guess DW wanted to release the film over the queens birthday long weekend and the only way to do it was previews ? ;)

then the previews won't really announced till about 1 week prior to the queens birthday long weekend.  and the first notices i saw only mentioned it would preview on the queen's birthday weekend only... thats since been changed to include the weekend we are just finishing now.  official release date is 19th still though.  

I'd say we should see around 5m to 6m in previews before Dragon 2 even opens.  funny thing is Dragon 2 could be #1 weekend this weekend if things fall the right way but never make #1 during it's actual run :D;)

Previews had been in place for months interesting if word was only week before

weekend everything held well considering holiday weekend last week

FIOS 2.4 -36

HTTYD2 prev 2.2

EOT 1.8 -41

Malef 1.75 -36

blended 1.3

• Like 3

Previews had been in place for months interesting if word was only week beforeweekend everything held well considering holiday weekend last weekFIOS 2.4 -36HTTYD2 prev 2.2EOT 1.8 -41Malef 1.75 -36blended 1.3

So HTTYD is up from last week, cum now 5.3m!What can we expect for OW? $4-5m maybe? Edited by Catching Robertron

22J OD 188% higher than 21J, 4th biggest Od this year behind TASM2, DOFP,GodzHTTYD2 was #2 30%of 22j but it will improve weekend nd its had 2 wekeend previews

Last night there were 4 different things on my Facebook feed:1. 22JS2. Origin3. World Cup4. HTTYDI think this bodes REALLY well for the weekend. So what can we expect for 22JS? $7m?