JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Keeping in mind some of us aren't ruling out an OD of around AUD8-10m (the current record is DH2 with AUD7.2m)

So, what would be OW, 15? 20? Some people in another thread are thinking about 40 total gross in Australia because TH is not the same than LOTR. I have always thought about an enormous number there (55-60) and reading some predictions you gave I think my prediction is even short

So, what would be OW, 15? 20? Some people in another thread are thinking about 40 total gross in Australia because TH is not the same than LOTR. I have always thought about an enormous number there (55-60) and reading some predictions you gave I think my prediction is even short

DH2 had a Wed OD followed by a normal 4-day weekend and did 7.2/18 - 25m 5-day (from memory) (Hold both the OD record AND the OW record, which is more impressive that it had already burnt off over $7m worth of demand the previous day)Now I think TH has the same opening as DH2 in terms of an earlier Wed OD followed by a normal 4-day weekend.What give TH an even greater chance of seriously destroying records is that it opens on Boxing Day (the busiest day of the year, generally) and had its OW between Christmas and New Years which is the most lucrative Box Office period of the year.Provided The Hobbit lives up to some of the standards of the LOTR films, and without any calculations I imagine it could lose around 20-30% of their audience and still open over $25m for the 5-day. Edited by Robertron
  • Like 1

Wtf?! We're one of the LAST countries to get it - I mean, NZ is basically ours (:P) so shouldnt we get it at the same time as them !!I've never seen a LOTR film but, from an outsiders perspective, they represent a true event film, something I think the likes of not even the final Potter films were able to replicate.#pumped

DH2 had a Wed OD followed by a normal 4-day weekend and did 7.2/18 - 25m 5-day (from memory) (Hold both the OD record AND the OW record, which is more impressive that it had already burnt off over $7m worth of demand the previous day)Now I think TH has the same opening as DH2 in terms of an earlier Wed OD followed by a normal 4-day weekend.What give TH an even greater chance of seriously destroying records is that it opens on Boxing Day (the busiest day of the year, generally) and had its OW between Christmas and New Years which is the most lucrative Box Office period of the year.Provided The Hobbit lives up to some of the standards of the LOTR films, and without any calculations I imagine it could lose around 20-30% of their audience and still open over $25m for the 5-day.

something else also to take into account for the hobbit.... it's tie in with the LOTR films cannot be understated enough! It will be like an old friend for many... they were very well loved films here in australia. for example.... (RTH can correct me if i'm wrong), but I am pretty sure this is what happened...LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring broke the OD record with 4.1m on boxing day 2001. Then LOTR: The Two Towers shattered that year old record with a 5.23m OD on boxing day 2002. Finally on boxing day 2003, LOTR: Return of the King bettered the 2nd LOTR film by a mere 0.03m.... meaning at the time the 3 LOTR films owned the 3 largest OD's ever in australia. (The Matrix Reloaded managed to split the 3 at the top later in 2003). Of note - the OD record would then be held by the LOTR: Return of the King until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 finally shattered it last year with 7m. As it stands, ROTK still stands as the 3rd biggest OD behind only Harry Potter and The Avengers from earlier this year. It took 7 and half years of inflation for any film to beat it and even then it took the widest ever launch (by a country mile) and the film played for 24 hours straight too.for comparison:LOTR: ROTK opened with 5,265,000 on 453 prints. Lets assume that TH can match ROTK for audience first. (to give us an idea of what this could do...)ok now ticket price increases look like as follows: 2003 = $9.64; 2011 = $12.87 (say make 2012 = $13.00 yeah i'm probably undercutting it but still)so Adjusted for ticket price: 7,100,103.now we need to take into account the premium paid for 3D (yeah i know the average includes 3D prices but the premium still adds some $... for now assuming $15 for 30% of the admissions (low % of 3D): 7,427,800 (50% would push this much closer to 8m)now using this figure we need to look at the number of prints. I would expect the hobbit to open on 650 prints (600 min).Given this I think ROTK would have opened > 8m. (possibly around 8.5m if I had to guess --> if the ROTK had the exact same OD average as in 2003 across say 650 prints then it would open to 10.6m.Given all this, no reason to believe that the hobbit can't out open Harry Potter's high water mark from last year. looking at the above info makes 8m+ seem much more realistic on boxing day......Using The Two Towers as a basis produces even better numbers... Fellowship is on par with ROTK.- jajang Edited by Jajang
  • Like 3

That's what I was thinking too.

as imdb says... nov 28 is the world premiere - (I would assume a special event) NZ gets it like most of the world (excluding australia) on the 14th :P

as imdb says... nov 28 is the world premiere - (I would assume a special event) NZ gets it like most of the world (excluding australia) on the 14th :P

In terms of Box Office, opening later gives it a huge opening and 5 and a half weeks to absolutely destroy everything in its path!!

^ which was why I got surprised by the fact avatar chose open prior to Christmas (at the time). It was unusual for a blockbuster not to open on boxing day but open the week before here. Of course in hindsight that decision was perfect but that film would have had crazy legs irrelevant of the time of year.

^ which was why I got surprised by the fact avatar chose open prior to Christmas (at the time). It was unusual for a blockbuster not to open on boxing day but open the week before here. Of course in hindsight that decision was perfect but that film would have had crazy legs irrelevant of the time of year.

It was the perfect opening in my opinion.Open the weekend before the busiest of the year, spread good WOM then take full advantage of Boxing Day weekend.Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that weekend still the biggest on record?

It was the perfect opening in my opinion.Open the weekend before the busiest of the year, spread good WOM then take full advantage of Boxing Day weekend.Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that weekend still the biggest on record?

no it's not... it's big yes, but not that big...the biggest weekend is currently owned by the weekend Harry Potter 8 Opened (29.9m - that year was massive with the weekend TF3 opened making over 25m also)The 2nd weekend of avatar, the top 20 only made 21m but taking into account that christmas day fell on the friday, it's pretty impessive and up there. FYI - The biggest of 2012 so far is the weekend Ted opened (first official weekend) and TASM opened pusing the top 20 to nearly 26m. By comparison when TDKR, the top 20 amassed just over 22m.other comparisons - the weekend LOTR: ROTK the top 20 made 22m (3 day weekend as boxing day fell on a friday), weekend LOTR: TTT opened, the top 20 made 27m! I don't have all the data but this i think this held the record for a long long time until potter came along and dumped it.

And to think, tickets were a good $4 cheaper at the time.

And the films that were in release probably weren't a bunch of unwanted reboots, sequels, remakes, prequels, or downright stupid movies that are being made today - people actually had a reason to spend their time and money and the cinema!