Films

TOP 25 MUSICALS EVER: THE RESULTS. Countdown finished

Posted Image

Hello all and welcome to the top 25 Disney musicals musicals of all time. I really hope you enjoy this countdown and it is a spectacular. Now time to sit back in your seats and watch the show

Edited by FrozenFilms

These were the people who submitted lists so it's time to give them a round of applause

Frozen Films [your host for this show]

Telemachos

Walt Disney

Rsyu

Dar

23IsEverywhere

The Panda

SchumacherFTW

AndyLL

Incarnadine

Concerned BOF User

Spidey Freak

Chasmmi

Kingslayer

• Like 1

25. Mamma Mia- 49 points

It's time to kick this show off with one of my favourite musical films [and also one of my favourite films] of all time. Based on the popular musical, Mamma Mia was a big box office success in 2008, especially in the UK where it is one of the biggest grossing films of all time. The film stars Amanda Seyfried in the main role as Sophie in one of her first roles since Mean Girls and Meryl Streep as her mother Donna [who for once did not get nominated for an Oscar]. The film also stars Colin Firth, Stellen Skarsgard and Piers Brosnan as the candidates for who could be Sophie' s father. The film is a delightful joy.

It is the fastest selling DVD of all time in the UK with 1.6M units sold on opening day and it is the biggest selling DVD of all time in the UK with one in every four households owning a copy.

Rotten Tomatoes: 54%

Most Known Song: Mamma Mia [but Dancing Queen, Waterloo, I Have A Dream, The Winner Takes It All and Money Money Money are all very close contenders]

Box Office: The film was a massive box office success with over 600M worldwide. It is the highest grossing musical worldwide. In North America, it grossed over 27M on OW facing The Dark Knight and finished with a total of 144M. In the UK, the film opened with £6.5M and finished with a total of £69.1M [$132.3m]- the 6th biggest grossing film of all time in the UK behind Avatar, Titanic, Toy Story 3, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Skyfall. Other key international markets were Australia [$29.2m], Germany [$37m], Japan [$27.5m], Norway [$16.5m], South Korea [$25.5m], Spain [$19.5M] and Sweden [$25m]

Awards won: Best soundtrack [Empire UK awards], Best international actress [Meryl Streep- Ireland film and TV awards and rembrent awards] best sound editing [motion picture sound editing], best musical and best performance [national movie UK awards], mamma mia [song, people choice awards] and Pierce Brosnan for worst supporting actor at the Razzies

Nominations:15 more nominations including best motion picture [comedy or musical] and best actress [Meryl Streep] at the Golden Globes and 3 BAFTA Nominations.

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhxHsqQvsI

Mamma Mia Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqcJTwxxmjk 

Edited by FrozenFilms
  • Like 1

24. Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog- 50 points

I had actually never heard of this film until I created this list. It is a 2008 musical tragicomedy split into 3 acts and was created and directed by The Avengers director, Joss Whedon. It starts Neil Patrick Harris [how I met your mother] and Nathan Fillion [serenity]. Many actors who Joss Whedon had worked with before had cameos. It made over $3M with movie and soundtrack sells. There have been stage events and this got quite a few nominations. A sequel is in development hell.

Rotten Tomatoes: It has 1 fresh rating

Box Office: Doesn't look like it got into the cinema

Most popular song: Don't know as I'd never heard of this film before it's ranking

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXI3obHfwgU 

• Like 4

23. Fiddler On The Roof

This is a 1971 American musical adapted from the 1964 Broadway musical. It was a box office success earning 83M on a budget of 9M. A couple of scenes were added such as Perchik being arrested at a workers rally in Kiev. The film was shown in a roadshow style presentation. The film won 3 academy awards in 1972 for best song score adaptation, best cinematography and best sound and it was also nominated for best picture [losing to the French Connection], best actor and best supporting actor. It also won Golden Globes for best comedy/musical film and Chaim Topol for best actor. The most famous song is If I Were A Rich Man.

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYrLGw2W0ZM 

• Like 2

=21. The Blues Brothers- 56 points

The film stars John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in the 1980 film about a tale of redemption with a pair of brothers who are taking a 'mission from g-d' to save the Catholic orphanage. The characters were developed from the blues brothers musical sketch on Saturday Night Live. The film used 13 different cars that were all brought at auctions. It earned 57.8m in America and 112M WW and the tenth highest earner by road comedy films. The film has an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has had high placings on many best of comedy films lists. Since release, it has garnered cult status.

Edited by FrozenFilms
  • Like 1

24. Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog- 50 points

I had actually never heard of this film until I created this list. It is a 2008 musical tragicomedy split into 3 acts and was created and directed by The Avengers director, Joss Whedon. It starts Neil Patrick Harris [how I met your mother] and Nathan Fillion [serenity]. Many actors who Joss Whedon had worked with before had cameos. It made over $3M with movie and soundtrack sells. There have been stage events and this got quite a few nominations. A sequel is in development hell.

Rotten Tomatoes: It has 1 fresh rating

Box Office: Doesn't look like it got into the cinema

Most popular song: Don't know as I'd never heard of this film before it's ranking

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXI3obHfwgU 

I never heard of this. I looked it up and now I know why. An internet video? Isn't that like voting for a made for TV movie? Actually, I think it's worse because it's an internet video. I don't make up the rules, but this is a head scratcher. The fact that people voted for it makes me feel bad for all the great musicals that have been made throughout the history of cinema that won't make this list.

I never heard of this. I looked it up and now I know why. An internet video? Isn't that like voting for a made for TV movie? Actually, I think it's worse because it's an internet video. I don't make up the rules, but this is a head scratcher. The fact that people voted for it makes me feel bad for all the great musicals that have been made throughout the history of cinema that won't make this list.

But... NPH  :unsure:

19. West Side Story- 58 points

West Side Story is a 1961 American musical film directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins. The film is an adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical of the same name, which in turn was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. It stars Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn, Rita Moreno and George Chakiris and was photographed by Daniel L. Fapp, A.S.C., in Super Panavision 70.

The film was released on October 18, 1961, through United Artists. It received praise from critics and the public, and became the second highest grossing film of the year in the United States. The film was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won 10, including Best Picture, as well as a special award for Robbins. West Side Story won more Academy Awards than any other musical film.