Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

109 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A+ Incredible film! one of the best sci-fi Films I've seen in a long time! fantastic story great characters, well understood world, great action!

Why did WB put their advertising into the greatly inferior Godzilla, when they had such a masterpiece in their hands with Edge of Tomorrow?  

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 6

A

Great direction, mind-blowing action, intelligent story, good acting, beautiful visuals. Holds you from the first frame to the last.

Sadly, got absolutely F-grade marketing. WB should never be allowed to forget how they failed with the marketing.

I just watched this for the first time, and it was a surprisingly fun ride. I'm sorry that I didn't catch it in its original theatrical release, but it looked rather unappealing at the time. The film really excels in its structure - it tells the story in a compelling way. It is tightly edited, and not just a monotonous repeat of the same day over and over again. Rather, any moments that we see relived feel earned, and there are moments where we are clued in that Cage has lived through these same moments before. The film also excels because the chemistry between the two main characters is clearly there.

This would have been a top tier sci-fi film for me if they had found a way to end the film in a clearer manner, and if I had felt a greater emotional connection to it. The film was so well paced and tightly conceived, there was room for some better character development and something to better situate the context of the war. I feel like this would have helped. It's hard to explain, but something was missing. It didn't quite have that 'oomph', the stakes didn't quite feel real enough (either on a personal/relationship level with Cage & Rita, or on a broader level with the war and humanity as a whole). 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ