Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

109 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is amazing. One of the best sci-fi movies I have ever seen. Easily my number 1 of the year so far. It has such great moments. Very funny stuff. The action is fantastic, the third act was, I don't even have words to describe it. Tom Cruise is still a terrific actor. The whole final battle was crazy. My mind was blown away. Emily Blunt was excellent, same with Bill Paxton. The story arch of Tom Cruise's character is very good, because he is not what we think he is going by trailers. The only small complain is the motivations of the aliens. We never know but there is a theory that they just want to conquer worlds, and I can live with that. The final 5 minutes were a bit confusing, but I just think Tom Cruise was able to reset even before he reached to talk with the general about going to the mission in France, but since he had destroyed Omega, the aliens weren't able to reset the day and lost their power. This is my theory and it works for me. See it guys. It is unbelievably good. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 16

lives up to the hype at least to me

What I liked about it is everything I dislike about 90 % of the current blockbuster fare

1. Its kept at precise ( one would say 'classic' ) runtime for an action adventure clocking in at 113 minutes

2. There's no George Lucas backstory and plot explaining and characters saying they 'have to do something' but not actually doing so in ages

3. The story is a bit contrived but is presented as it is and doesn't make you question any of it at any time during the movie

4. Actors do a great job. Cruise is still in fine form or should we say ... cruise control :D 

5. ACTION ! Unlike a lot of the recent blockbusters this one doesn't give us boring characters then expect us to be involved in their boring drama while there's no action sequence to bridge the gap. You may have noticed that I have actually counted the minutes of action in movies recently but not here. Wanna know why? Cause there's a lot and I wasn't bored or bothered by it so that I could actually count it.

6. There is no endless stares and conversations or 'will they won't they' stuff... when there are character moments they are earned and not forced upon you. They also do not last as much as they do on soap operas because the movie knows how much time it has and what it wants to achieve with the audience

7. Its just a FUN movie there's no baggage to it whatsoever ... and if you are left there wondering whether or not you are supposed to take any of that remotely seriously the song that starts when the credits roll is gonna leave you with no doubt ... EPIC movie by whoever decided to use it I loled when it started ( not gonna spoil it for anyone ) :lol:

8. Effects and all the other tech stuff some people care about is alright IMO ... I saw it in 3D unfortunately I wish I could have seen it in 2D but 3D is fine too

9. oh and another important thing - IT HAS A BEGINNING AND END - there's no 'oh lets tease people if we do good at BO so that we might franchise it' nonsense. Its a self contained story

10. and finally Doug Liman who inexplicably showed some Spielberg or JJ Abrams quality and helmed an entertaining story with interesting premise, frenetic action ( shaky cam stuff all works in here well ) and some old school humor.

All in all its sort of a breathe of fresh air in this franchise game Hollywood is playing so hard right now. Compared to TASM2 this is The Godfather. Despite my high grade I want you guys to know that there isn't anything extraordinary about this movie ... its just a damn good time and I don't need or want a sequel ( in a good way ) and I haven't had that in a while so ...

9/10Go see it its a romp !

• Like 9

Well, that was a major fucking surprise! Seriously, 2014's summer season seems to be pulling out all the stops to impress me, and this is probably the biggest shocker of the lot. And yes, I mean that in the good way. I really do.

Seriously, I went into this expecting something like Cruise's last sci-fi fare, Oblivion that, while entertaining enough, was a bit dull and easily forgettable. Instead I got something that was smart, funny, well-written, intense and kept you interested nearly all throughout. It has enough action to satisfy the action junkie inside me and balances it perfectly with the quieter, more conversational scenes timing it perfectly so I don't end up feeling either has gone on too long. The characters were great, well acted, complex and you came to really care for them, something that always separates the greats from the rabble. The action is fantastic too, with enough variation that it doesn't feel stale (despite, ironically, most of it happening in the same place) and shakey cam is actually used appropriately to highlight the chaos of the battlefield and the speed the mimics move at.

Honestly, there's much more I could talk about, but I'm kind of tired now, so I'll just repeat that this was a really pleasant surprise for me. I'll need a bit of time to let it settle in before I can decide a definitive score but at the moment, it's firmly an A and, honestly, I'm seriously considering giving it my second A+ of the year.

• Like 8

The final 5 minutes were a bit confusing, but I just think Tom Cruise was able to reset even before he reached to talk with the general about going to the mission in France, but since he had destroyed Omega, the aliens weren't able to reset the day and lost their power. This is my theory and it works for me. See it guys. It is unbelievably good. 

Cruise character essentially becomes a God when Omega's substance entered his body (like Alpha's substance before) and he automatically resets because he's dead/dying. He will see which stock goes up on the day, and kills himself and resets to buy that stock. If he ever say something wrong to anyone (Rita), he can just shoot himself and resets, since he got Omega's power.

• Like 6

Taken from my post in the general EoT thread:

'I just got back from seeing this and you can chalk up another positive review.

I love me a good sci-fi/action film and this one hit all the right marks. Tom Cruise was good as usual (but then I've always liked him, never understood the hate) and he had great chemistry with Emily Blunt (who is a total bad-ass!). The supporting cast are all excellent (<3 Brendan Gleeson) as well.

Gotta say what really stood out more than anything was the sumptuous cinematography. The film just looks amazing.

I will be very sad if this does as poorly at the BO as is now looking likely :('

I also loved how the film really zipped along at a perfect pace. I never got bored, the time looping never became stale/repetitive, and there was a perfect mixture of action, character moments and small comedic touches.

I think as other people have said this one is the surprise of the year so far. Definitely in my top 5 of the year so far, though I will probably want to give it another watch before coming to a definitive conclusion.

For now though it's an 8.5/10.

• Like 2

However... why Lara Pulver (Irene Adler from Cumberbatch's Sherlock) had only like 4 sec screentime??  :unsure:

Posted Image

And by the way what happened to Jeremy Piven's character?

Didn't notice her at all ... I associate this actress with her theme song from Sherlock which is fucking amazing so every time I see her I play that melody in my head

However... why Lara Pulver (Irene Adler from Cumberbatch's Sherlock) had only like 4 sec screentime??  :unsure:

Posted Image

And by the way what happened to Jeremy Piven's character?

Was she the woman in J-Squad? Otherwise, I don't think I noticed her either.