Shadow

Rank The Indiana Jones Films

I actually watched a bit of Temple of Doom for the first time in a long time in the last few weeks and I was shocked at how cartoonish it was. I don't know what Spielberg was thinking with the way he had some of the actors performing. Including cartoon sound effects. There was a bit of "Superman II" to it, and I don't mean the Donner version. So it's basically Raiders, then Crusade, then everything else way below.

Last Crusade is arguably more cartoony and campy in a lot of ways. There's the revolving fireplace and hidden staircase gags, the "Scottish Lord" disguise, the pen ink in the eye, Brody's sudden buffoonery, etc. and for all of the complaining people have for the raft stunt in TOD or the fridge in KOTCS, they give a free pass to equally unbelievable things like the plane in the tunnel, the centuries-old Grail Knight and the fact the prologue with Young Indy shows him getting the fedora, whip (and knowledge how to use it), chin scar, fear of snakes and love of adventure all in the same afternoon. And let's not forget how he escapes from a moving train using a magic box he presumably had no clue how to use before.

Slightly off-topic but R.I.P. to Douglas Slocombe, the director of photography on the first three movies. At 103 years old he had a long and fulfilled life, and captured some of the most striking imagery ever seen on film with his work on the original three Indy films.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2