SpiderByte

Colbert to Announce Another New Changeup in Marvel, Black Captain America?

It'll be a new Captain America series with Sam as Cap.

I'd be fine with this, if it was a purely creative decision and not yet another step to Marvel becoming the bastion of Political Correctness it seems to want to become. There was a black Green Lantern WAY back in the early 80s, so it's not like this type of thing hasn't happened before. But, Steve Rogers has quit being Cap so many times and in so many ways that it's quickly becoming a parody. Why not try making consistently good stories without having to shake up the status quo?

This has become like a poor crash dieting plan with them. They do something drastic to increase sales(lose weight), but in the long run, sales drop to a lower point(they gain back the weight and more) than before the gimmicky event.

EDIT: I mean, they can't even hold onto John Romita, Jr as exclusive to Marvel. If that doesn't say something about where they're headed, I don't know what does.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

I don't have feelings one way or the other about a black Cap.

But why is my man Steve all old and wrinkly and on the verge of dying? :(

Not the first time they've done that either...

Read Cap 297-300. Both Cap and Red Skull end up as old as they really are then battle each other. Great read.

Posted Image

I'd be fine with this, if it was a purely creative decision and not yet another step to Marvel becoming the bastion of Political Correctness it seems to want to become. There was a black Green Lantern WAY back in the early 80s, so it's not like this type of thing hasn't happened before. But, Steve Rogers has quit being Cap so many times and in so many ways that it's quickly becoming a parody. Why not try making consistently good stories without having to shake up the status quo?

This has become like a poor crash dieting plan with them. They do something drastic to increase sales(lose weight), but in the long run, sales drop to a lower point(they gain back the weight and more) than before the gimmicky event.

They should just tell the stories left to tell with Steve as Cap, and then transition him to another role in the Marvel Universe, rather than this cycle of someone else taking up the Cap mantle, only for Steve to take it up again.

Brubaker made his initial run on Captain America about Bucky, and now Remender's making his run about Sam as Cap (probably, no confirmation just yet). That's the two main Cap writers of the last ten or so years, not wanting to tell same Steve Rogers stories that had been told before, and I can't really blame them.

There's not much that's new that's left to explored with Steve.

Even Mark Gruenwald ended his run with Steve dying, and that was in the 90s. Though that was way premature.

Marvel needs to to actually let their Universe evolve, instead of just progressing, and then regressing. Old Man Steve has great potential (I actually really enjoyed that House of M issue of Cap with Steve as an old man), but not too sure about how it's going to play out.

Edited by Nephenee
  • Like 2

I stopped after the first arc, and have been meaning to catch up. :ph34r:

Loved the first arc though.

It hasn't been as good since, but that is only because I felt the 1st arc was so great. 

EDIT: I mean, they can't even hold onto John Romita, Jr as exclusive to Marvel. If that doesn't say something about where they're headed, I don't know what does.

They ruined Spiderman for me and millions when they erased 20+ yrs of the characters history and worse it happened as Spidey made a deal with the devil. :( WTF!!

• Like 1

I having been loving the current Cap series and I am loving the idea of Sam as Cap. It is natural story progression and not forced.

Empire you are cuckoo my friend lol.. Folks are getting tired of Steve always stepping down.. What for??!  This is redundant BS.

Also what have they down with Bucky in the current comics out of curiosity :(

Empire you are cuckoo my friend lol.. Folks are getting tired of Steve always stepping down.. What for??!  This is redundant BS.

The story is well done and it isn't redundant just because someone is taking over for Steve again. 

Steve as Cap fight the same villains over and over again is far more redundant. 

Also what have they down with Bucky in the current comics out of curiosity :(

Bucky looks to be heading to a good place.

There's going to be a new Winter Soldier comic, and it sounds awesome.

“Ales teaches a master class on 21st-century spy stories in Zero month after month, and he’s come up with a whole new spin on the genre for this new Winter Soldier series. And Marco reinvents sequential art every time he draws a page, as anyone who read the recent New Avengers Annual knows, so he was a natural pick for a book like this where there are no limits, and where every corner of the Marvel Universe is going to be explored.  From the depths of Limbo to the heights of Asgard and everywhere in between.  It'd be like if the James Bond movies suddenly had access to the characters and setting of all the other great film franchises."

http://www.newsarama.com/21539-bucky-barnes-the-winter-soldier-gets-new-ongoing-series-in-october.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsaramapreviews+%28Newsarama.com+previews%29

Edited by Nephenee
  • Like 1

Marvel's burying itself in a pile of shit. This is the 90s all over again.

There's a huge difference in the talent involved with these stories, and the talent involved in the 90s.

The 90s superheroes were shaped by the influence of guys like Liefeld. Meanwhile, Captain America is currently in the hands of Rick Remender, who's generally a good writer. And Thor is handled by Jason Aaron, one of the best superhero writers working today. Aaron's even cited the Simonson run as an influence for the direction he's going with Thor, and that's the furthest thing you can get from shit, when it comes to writing Thor.

• Like 1