SpiderByte

Colbert to Announce Another New Changeup in Marvel, Black Captain America?

Good writers can easily write bad stories. Look at Frank Miller or Jeph Loeb. Especially when this is almost entirely company mandates.

Of course they can tell bad stories, but there's nothing to suggest that these will be bad stories. Aaron in particular is at the top of his game.

And Miller/Loeb aren't good examples at all. They didn't just start telling bad stories, they just went to shit. In the case of Loeb, I don't think he was ever that great a writer, and find his Batman stories to be vastly overrated.

Whether the new Captain America is company mandated, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Like when Cap died in Brubaker's volume, he outright said that it was his idea to kill off Steve, and that it was something he had been working towards since he started. Could easily be the case with Remender making Sam Cap.

With Jason Aaaron, he's already said that what's occurring is what he wants to do, and had it in mind when taking over Thor.

Marvel will milk and promote this stuff because they know it'll make news, but that doesn't mean there isn't an artistic vision behind these decisions.

• Like 1

The story is well done and it isn't redundant just because someone is taking over for Steve again. 

Steve as Cap fight the same villains over and over again is far more redundant. 

If a professional career writer can't take the original Cap vs the original villains and make it fresh, then he/she's not a very good writer. Writers had no problem doing this for 50 some odd years with Superman and 25-ish years with Marvel's characters, but for some reason from the 90s to now, they can't seem to write stories without messing with the heart of the characters. If they were really good storytellers, redundancy wouldn't be an issue. I'm sorry but that's just how I feel about it.

• Like 1

They ruined Spiderman for me and millions when they erased 20+ yrs of the characters history and worse it happened as Spidey made a deal with the devil. :( WTF!!

Don't get me started...I can go all day and night about how they've ruined Spidey, when the solution is right in their faces. Why keep going for the gimmicky twists/reboots when the sales drop below what they were within a few months? Just write consistently good stories and the readers will build slowly...and more importantly, they will stay.

• Like 1

If a professional career writer can't take the original Cap vs the original villains and make it fresh, then he/she's not a very good writer. Writers had no problem doing this for 50 some odd years with Superman and 25-ish years with Marvel's characters, but for some reason from the 90s to now, they can't seem to write stories without messing with the heart of the characters. If they were really good storytellers, redundancy wouldn't be an issue. I'm sorry but that's just how I feel about it.

Well, Remender is a a great writer, so that isn't the case. Also, there are only so many ways you can write Cap vs. Red Skull, Zemo, and Zola no matter how creative you are. Oh, and Remender already wrote a Cap vs. Zola story and it was great.

Its not that he can't write fresh stories with Steve as Cap, but it is more like he doesn't want to. 

Good writers can easily write bad stories. Look at Frank Miller or Jeph Loeb. Especially when this is almost entirely company mandates.

Those guy are not even close to being as good and consistent as Aaron & Remender are. At least that is how I feel. 

Those guy are not even close to being as good and consistent as Aaron & Remender are. At least that is how I feel. 

Aaron and Remender haven't written stuff like Year One or The Long Halloween though.

Aaron and Remender haven't written stuff like Year One or The Long Halloween though.

Neither have Miller or Loeb, for well over a decade now.

But, I'd actually rank some of the work Remender and Aaron have done, higher than The Long Halloween.

But again, in the case of Miller and Loeb, it wasn't like they did those stories and then put these godawful comics right after. He started going downhill in the late 90s, and then went to shit in the 00s.

Same deal with Miller.

These stories could be garbage, but that'll come down to how the stories are executed.

Edited by Nephenee

Don't get me started...I can go all day and night about how they've ruined Spidey, when the solution is right in their faces. Why keep going for the gimmicky twists/reboots when the sales drop below what they were within a few months? Just write consistently good stories and the readers will build slowly...and more importantly, they will stay.

Dan Slott's run has been a big improvement over BND though. He always tries inventive things and his love for the character and his universe shows. Sometimes his stories don't work (Alpha) and some arcs are pretty strong at the beginning and middle but the ending gets fudged (Superior Spider-Man, Ends of the Earth) but when he does succeed, he hits it out of the ballpark (No One Dies, Spider-Island, pre-OMD Spidey/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid). Excited for the upcoming Spider-Verse too. I just hope he doesn't kill the MC2 universe Spider-Girl and her family.

I also like how he is setting up J. Jonah Jameson as Spidey's own O'Reilly. :D Though that's apparently taken from the USM cartoon that I don't watch. Still cool to see this new dynamic in the mainstream comics too.

• Like 1

Remender is cool as long as you keep him away from writing about race relations and other social themes. Uncanny Avengers is a disaster whenever it tries to tackle these subjects. 

Yeah, kinda, but I am still really enjoying the book overall. 

Remender is my favorite writer, so I have pretty much read everything he has written. So, yeah, I am kinda biased. 

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Yeah, kinda, but I am still really enjoying the book overall. 

Remender is my favorite writer, so I have pretty much read everything he has written. So, yeah, I am kinda biased. 

I've got to give him some brownie points for being the only current Marvel writer interested in using my darling Janet. I don't get why she isn't being featured more in the Avenger verse after her return. Is it a movies affecting comics thing? She was the sole founding female Avenger! :(

• Like 1

Well, I know at least one good thing is going to come out of this.

Remender has basically said that he's retconning the stupid pimp origin Sam was given by Steve. Englehart.

It's about time that was retconned. 

• Like 1

So I got to reading Winter Soldier: The Bitter March.

Good stuff.

I looked up Agent Ran, and found out that he's a villain in Remender's Captain America. I liked him in the series, so I'm looking forward to how good he was as a villain in the issues he appeared in, since The Bitter March was really sort of the story of what made him become a villain.

• Like 1

So I got to reading Winter Soldier: The Bitter March. Good stuff. I looked up Agent Ran, and found out that he's a villain in Remender's Captain America. I liked him in the series, so I'm looking forward to how good he was as a villain in the issues he appeared in, since The Bitter March was really sort of the story of what made him become a villain.

I enjoyed Bitter March alright, but I enjoy him more as a villain in Cap.
  • Like 1