The graduate (1967)

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Watched this for the first time in my senior english class and while I though it started out well enough it soon went downhill. The premise is certainly interesting and Dustin Hoffman does a good job but ultimately the film dissolves into a repetitive messy chore. Also way too many music montages

An all-time classic that most definitely earns its high reputation. Dustin Hoffman gives one of the best performances of his career, and the film's observations on the struggles of being a young twentysomething remain potent even after the passage of 47(!) years.

A/A+

• Like 1

Does anybody else feel like this film is too harsh to adults? It treats them as though they're villains/fools. 

Not really. A huge component of the film is that Ben doesn't fully understand the way the adult world works, so it makes sense that he sees adults as enemies of sorts, especially when Mrs. Robinson is set on stopping him from being with Elaine. He's not fully tuned in with the reality of the adult world, so therefore he sees them in a harsher light than he should.

• Like 1

Not really. A huge component of the film is that Ben doesn't fully understand the way the adult world works, so it makes sense that he sees adults as enemies of sorts, especially when Mrs. Robinson is set on stopping him from being with Elaine. He's not fully tuned in with the reality of the adult world, so therefore he sees them in a harsher light than he should.

Yeah, I feel that way. But I'm wondering if the film endorses that view. Near the end of the film, when Elaine and her mother were fighting during the marriage ceremony, it felt like the film might be endorsing that view. Or perhaps I was misreading it.