Punishment

Weekend Actuals 7/18-7/20 Apes 36.3m, Purge 29.8m, Planes 17.5m

Sony can stop reporting earlier than most but no still reporting ,just no weekday dailys weekend & full week

RTH, question.

Some studios like Disney report til the very end but for example like Universal stop tracking very early.

These numbers for these films like say Million Ways and Non Stop, do they ever get reported? I'm sure they are actually still playing.

So who gets the money? If the studio doesn't care enough to report it, does the theatre get to keep everything?

I know it's not much, but given what some movies can make, a couple hundred thousand just goes unreported?

• Like 1

RTH, question.

Some studios like Disney report til the very end but for example like Universal stop tracking very early.

These numbers for these films like say Million Ways and Non Stop, do they ever get reported? I'm sure they are actually still playing.

So who gets the money? If the studio doesn't care enough to report it, does the theatre get to keep everything?

I know it's not much, but given what some movies can make, a couple hundred thousand just goes unreported?

ok this weekend for  example there were about 110 fllms reported on, but there were over 400 films playing in Domestic market , in the UK for example 82 films reported on over 180 films playing.

Studios end up getting the grosses for every single theater that playing a film always(down the track they may not care about tracking right now just eventually everything comes in).

Reporting wise they will only publicily report on daily/weekend/week for a certain period it might be a number of weeks, could be until film reach X amount and then we stop or some other criteria. For example Sony use to quite often stop reporting a title that might still be a top 30-40 film but Fox/Disney might keep going till films only doing like 10k. There is usually a cume update at a later date this is typically called "residual gross".

Residual gross is made up of two main things

1-What the film has actually earn't since it was last reported on  e.g we stopped reporting on title once it hit 200m but over  next 6 months it earn't another say 200k (which will include adjustments, point #2).

2-The difference between flash gross/estimates and the actual, by this actual  I mean the theatre sales docket that the studio eventually get from theatre which they then bill them from, actual is compared to any flash/estimate BO to see if any discrepancies either way and investigated if need be, eg a theater might have under/over reported a gross either overnight flash or the theatre docket they sent in,for example a theatre might have reported to Rentrak or studio directly 50k for friday night when the  actual sales figures come in it might be 60k and this might be because a midnight session they had of friday night wasn't initially reported on (Theres a bizzion examples)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 10

Monday:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 4.22 (-62%) 

The Purge: Anarchy - 3.36 (-54%)

Planes: Fire and Rescue - 1.86 (-59%)

Sex Tape - 1.53 (-58%)

Transformers - 1.16 (-61%)

Do you have EOT and DOFP numbers? Thanks!!  :wub:

• Like 1

Top thr engagement  wkend 18-20/71-AMC Empire 25, Ney York City NY   (PA)2-Regal E-walk 13, New York City NY (Apes)3-Regal Union Square 14, New york City NY (Apes)4-Pac Arclight Hollywood, Los Angeles CA      (Bhood)5-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA       (Apes)6-El Capitan, Hollywood CA   (Pla2)7-AMC Gulf Pointe 30, Houston TX (PA)8-Regal Kaufman Astoria 14, Astoria NY   (Apes)9-AMC Metreon 16, San Francisco CA (Apes)10-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA   (PA)11-AMC Orange 30, Orange CA   (PA)12-Regal Court St 12, Brooklyn NY   (Apes)--13-Ker Showplace Icon, Chicago  IL   (PA)14-Regal Long Beach 26, Long Beach CA   (Apes)15-CM Egyptian 24, Hanover MD       (PA)16-Regal LA Live 14, Los Angeles CA (Apes)17-CPLX Vancouver 9, Vancouver AB (Apes)18-AMC 84th 6, New York City NY     (Apes)19-Regal Sheepshead Bay 14, Brooklyn NY   (Apes)20-AMC Garden State 16, Paramus NJ (PA)21-LM The Landmark, Los Angeles CA (Bhood)Top Canada1-CPLX Vancouver 9, Vancouver AB (Apes), 2-CPLX Scotiabank 16, Calgary AB (Apes),3-CPLx Scotiabank Theatre, Toronto ON (Apes)

• Like 3

ok this weekend for  example there were about 110 fllms reported on, but there were over 400 films playing in Domestic market , in the UK for example 82 films reported on over 180 films playing.

Studios end up getting the grosses for every single theater that playing a film always(down the track they may not care about tracking right now just eventually everything comes in).

Reporting wise they will only publicily report on daily/weekend/week for a certain period it might be a number of weeks, could be until film reach X amount and then we stop or some other criteria. For example Sony use to quite often stop reporting a title that might still be a top 30-40 film but Fox/Disney might keep going till films only doing like 10k. There is usually a cume update at a later date this is typically called "residual gross".

Residual gross is made up of two main things

1-What the film has actually earn't since it was last reported on  e.g we stopped reporting on title once it hit 200m but over  next 6 months it earn't another say 200k (which will include adjustments, point #2).

2-The difference between flash gross/estimates and the actual, by this actual  I mean the theatre sales docket that the studio eventually get from theatre which they then bill them from, actual is compared to any flash/estimate BO to see if any discrepancies either way and investigated if need be, eg a theater might have under/over reported a gross either overnight flash or the theatre docket they sent in,for example a theatre might have reported to Rentrak or studio directly 50k for friday night when the  actual sales figures come in it might be 60k and this might be because a midnight session they had of friday night wasn't initially reported on (Theres a bizzion examples)

I apologize for the bump, I just remembered I had asked this question and didn't realize I had got an answer so went to look for it.

Thanks RTH.

Wanted to ask then, I'm sure films like Hercules and Gnomeo & Juliet made $100m in the end?

Also most of these residual grosses go unreported to public then? Since BOM doesn't update and nothing else tracks these films.

Lastly, I read about "Cinemark kid matinees" where films like Shrek Forever After are still playing, maybe only a couple times though, do these grosses have to be also given back to the studio? Do the theatres own the print?Are these counted in BO gross? (So, does the residual value keep increasing?)

Thanks and cheers!

• Like 1

I apologize for the bump, I just remembered I had asked this question and didn't realize I had got an answer so went to look for it.

Thanks RTH.

Wanted to ask then, I'm sure films like Hercules and Gnomeo & Juliet made $100m in the end?

Also most of these residual grosses go unreported to public then? Since BOM doesn't update and nothing else tracks these films.

Lastly, I read about "Cinemark kid matinees" where films like Shrek Forever After are still playing, maybe only a couple times though, do these grosses have to be also given back to the studio? Do the theatres own the print?Are these counted in BO gross? (So, does the residual value keep increasing?)

Thanks and cheers!

Yes most of residual goes unreported to public, not so much these days in US (US Uni was the last major to stop in 2012) but elsewhere its distributor dependent some will for example end of year update any film that has played that year but its not written in stone to do that other than internal and of cause to any producers or anyone else who might own the rights.

SFA  stopped reported at week 16 238.296m further residual(flash corrections + addtional play) has it at 238.737m (this is also shown on BOM) now I'm not sure at what point that number was last updated. In the four weeks after Par stopped reporting SFA earned at least another 250k+. the film played consistantly somewhere during 2010 then through 2011+ plays during summer and some other holiday periods.

and basically in answer to your last question yes residual is ongoing forever and 99% of  bookings have rental fee attached either a % of net bo (gross - taxes) or a flat fee. So even if a theater is running like Gone With The wind this weekend the gross and whatever fee for playing the film is reported back to studio/distributor etc.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1