Punishment

Weekend Actuals 7/18-7/20 Apes 36.3m, Purge 29.8m, Planes 17.5m

Yup, with BOF's favorite movie causing the most frustration. C'mon Disney, you needed one more week.

Gnomeo and Juliet

Domestic Total Gross: $99,967,670
Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date:February 11, 2011
Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 24 min.
MPAA Rating: G Production Budget: N/A

Disney didn't make Gnomeo so they didn't care enough to push it. :P

Gnomeo and Juliet's number is more frustrating than Hercules which also finished at 99m.I won't criticize studios for pushing films over because 99 is an ugly number.

Disney didn't make Hercu... oh wait.... never mind! :lol:

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity has anyone here been to a dollar theater? 

Well, a two dollar theater, but yes. If it weren't a $7 round trip busride to get there, I'd probably go more often. It was kinda cool to do, in a nostalgic way.

• Like 1

Gnomeo and Juliet's number is more frustrating than Hercules which also finished at 99m.I won't criticize studios for pushing films over because 99 is an ugly number.

Disney probably didn't have the rights for Gnomeo's home video and maybe wanted to get out of something with that studio/Elton John whomever so pissing people off that Gnomeo failed to get to $100m would succeed in their own objectives.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity has anyone here been to a dollar theater?

I went and saw Saving Mr. Banks at a 2 dollar theater near my sister's college in late February.Actually a pretty nice theater. Only reason it's cheap is because the movies are so far from the initial release date. Otherwise, wouldn't even be able to tell the difference!
  • Like 1

I remember when the dollar theater here in town opened more than 2 decades ago. We were all so faux outraged when they raised the price to two dollars just 2 or 3 years later.

Saw tons of movies there back in the college days. I remember we had to sit in the very front row when we went to see Medicine Man one night.

• Like 1

No, just an "innocent" dollar expansion. Not quite the Superman Returns magic of October, 2006. We won't see any 23% Tuesday increases before Tuesdays were popular, or near 90% decreases the day after it hits 200m.

That was truly a magical week for SR:

Tue  $27,810

+22.9% / -7.7%

$199,783,341 / 112

Wed  $23,345

-16.1% / -15.5%

$199,806,686 / 113

Thu  $26,319

+12.7% / -8.5%

$199,833,005 / 114

Fri  $49,018

+86.2% / -21.3%

$199,882,023 / 115

Sat  $77,897

+58.9% / -19.2%

$199,959,920 / 116

Sun  $46,385

-40.5% / -19.6%

$200,006,305 / 117

Mon  $5,564

-88% / -75.4%

$200,011,869 / 118

It dropped 93% from Saturday to Monday. It made 173k that weekend it reached 200m, and was out of theaters about 10 days after that. LOLz.

That week was a mix, some Imax theatres(highest grossing in week 11), some regular (Metreon In San Fran was still running), Dollar Theatres & Drive-in doubles

Some Imax theatres came in later in the run and took more money in a few areas than all the regular theatres had. It was like either people were going back to see it in Imax or a lot of people had waited till it was in Imax.

Lincoln Square in NYC ran it in Imax for over 12 weeks and took a fortune. Quite a number of theatres played it for up to 3 months

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3

How do they deal with gross from drive-ins, double features. Do they split the gross in half? Or give both movies the whole sum.

It works different in international but yes in domestic full gross is reported to each feature in the program, however when it comes to the filmr ental the studios get well thats a split calculation

• Like 3